speed limit of the road on the map

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby gkpdx » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:23 pm

invented wrote:
gkpdx wrote:So a little beep reminding me that the speed limit has changed is most welcome.

Are you volunteering to make all the timely speed limit parameter changes to all segments across the world? Else, how would this database stay up-to-date? We already have whole towns that are still crap basemap road data, let alone lacking speed limit data.

In regards to volunteering, I assume you were being sarcastic. Or are you really saying that if I don't volunteer then the database would not stay up to date? Are you a volunteer for Waze? Is there a job opening? In any case, the data does exist in a form that is updated often enough. It was compiled through some kind of human effort and I suspect people were paid for their efforts. This data is being used to good effect by your competitors on behalf of their happy customers. Perhaps more to the point, I was arguing philosophy, while you are arguing logistics. So if you first agree to the idea, questions of execution follow. In that regard, I would remind you that if you argue for your limitations, then sure enough, they are yours.
gkpdx

Postby floppyrod84 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Who is going to pay for this data that has already been collected? Plus the licensing issues, and who would own the data after its been updated etc?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby gkpdx » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:26 pm

xteejx wrote:Who is going to pay for this data that has already been collected? Plus the licensing issues, and who would own the data after its been updated etc?

Suppose another company owns rights to a suitable dataset, is willing to license it and wants money. Then the clever negotiating initiative may be to use Waze’ rapidly growing user base and its unique, easy and fun, user-driven update model to arrive at a mutually beneficial ongoing agreement that would produce a "best in class" feature for both companies.
gkpdx

Re: Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby bgodette » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:29 pm

gkpdx wrote:
xteejx wrote:Who is going to pay for this data that has already been collected? Plus the licensing issues, and who would own the data after its been updated etc?

Suppose another company owns rights to a suitable dataset, is willing to license it and wants money. Then the clever negotiating initiative may be to use Waze’ rapidly growing user base and its unique, easy and fun, user-driven update model to arrive at a mutually beneficial ongoing agreement that would produce a "best in class" feature for both companies.
Just like GasBuddy partnered with Waze to grow their base and coverage... oh wait...

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby dmcconachie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 pm

bgodette wrote:
gkpdx wrote:

Just like GasBuddy partnered with Waze to grow their base and coverage... oh wait...

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.

And WhatGas over here... No... Wait

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby hohum3001 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:32 am

indulge me & let me go off in to pixie-land for a moment.

If you have a dual or tri-laned highway with a speed limit of 55 miles per hour and the average speed is marked as 15 miles per hour, what is driving on that highway going to be like? Pretty stressful & crappy. On & off the brakes costing fuel, brake pads, frustration etc. It's going to to feel like a traffic jam. You're not going to get to work with a smile on your face.

If waze could somehow tell me - via a colour code or something - what percentage percentage a road was carrying traffic at, then that would be f... awesome (f... stands for fabulous - what did you think I meant??) because it would imply this kind of information. I there were some other factor, like too many traffic lights or stupid traffic light signal changing timing, then that would show as well.

The other thing is that such a colouring would give me a better idea of roads that waze knows traffic conditions for.

This fits in with what's on my wish list - not only "what's the minimum time I can spend on the road?" - but also "what's the most efficient, pleasant and best way to be on the road?" with some kind of trade-off. But I agree, waze needs to sort everything else first - absolutely.

oh - & to me using real-world average speeds in route calculation makes absolute sense - except when waze doesn't have enough data. It has MY data of how I go to work, but ignores that because it overrides me with it's guess - but that's a different thing. I didn't ever suggest ignoring average speed btw.
hohum3001

Postby OldGnome » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 pm

I read through most of this thread. However, I was skimming to get the general gist. If I am missing a key element, please let me know.

I used a Garmin for years. I often drive more than 45,000 miles in a year, always with the GPS running. The Garmin had two problems with speed limits - they were not always correct and Garmin chose to display the actual speed in a red font if that value was higher than the "posted" speed limit.

I have been a Wazer for less than two months, but I find Waze to be more than adequate as a Garmin replacement. I particularly appreciate that I don't get nagged about the speed limit. (I live in Florida and the "real" speed limit, as observed by 90% of the drivers is either 15 mph over or 15 mph under the speed limit. You can always tell a driver from out of state because they are driving in between those two values...OK, that's an exaggeration (and I've been a Floridian for only 14 months, myself).)

I think there are many more future features to work on besides displaying the posted speed limit.
OldGnome

Postby hohum3001 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:25 am

OldGnome wrote:I think there are many more future features to work on besides displaying the posted speed limit.

I agree. But they don't have to be mutually exclusive.
hohum3001

Previous

Return to Waze App