speed limit of the road on the map

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby mssusa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Yes. Speed limit data for the driver is not as important for me as perfect traffic detection and I believe waze needs the speed limit to perfect its automated traffic detection.

What is annoying for me is that Waze does not always show me the traffic on the map /route eventhough it knows about it (this is evident in the fact that ETA is almost accurate to the minute). Average speed is not as important to me as the current speed compared to what the highway /primary street is designed for.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa

Postby mssusa » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:06 pm

CBenson, realc4ever

We are talking about different things. The thread talks about 3 things: 1. Speed limit data /alerts to show to the driver, 2. Speed limit data to use in routing and ETA, 3. Speed limit data to use in automatic traffic detection and showing traffic data /coding on the client /live map.
It would be helpful if the 3 suggestions are clear and the only thing they have in common is the words "speed limit"

mssusa

Re: Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby mssusa » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:22 am

invented wrote:
gkpdx wrote:So a little beep reminding me that the speed limit has changed is most welcome.

Are you volunteering to make all the timely speed limit parameter changes to all segments across the world? Else, how would this database stay up-to-date? We already have whole towns that are still crap basemap road data, let alone lacking speed limit data.

And who's volunteering now to fix the base map and map entire countries with no base map?

mssusa

Postby OldGnome » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:01 pm

I read through most of this thread. However, I was skimming to get the general gist. If I am missing a key element, please let me know.

I used a Garmin for years. I often drive more than 45,000 miles in a year, always with the GPS running. The Garmin had two problems with speed limits - they were not always correct and Garmin chose to display the actual speed in a red font if that value was higher than the "posted" speed limit.

I have been a Wazer for less than two months, but I find Waze to be more than adequate as a Garmin replacement. I particularly appreciate that I don't get nagged about the speed limit. (I live in Florida and the "real" speed limit, as observed by 90% of the drivers is either 15 mph over or 15 mph under the speed limit. You can always tell a driver from out of state because they are driving in between those two values...OK, that's an exaggeration (and I've been a Floridian for only 14 months, myself).)

I think there are many more future features to work on besides displaying the posted speed limit.
OldGnome

Postby prandez » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:37 pm

The current speed limit feature would be a great improvement for me. Roads in Spain are not always well signed and it is easy to overspeed without noticing.

It is one of the very few things I miss from my TOMTOM.
prandez

Postby RallyChris » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Apologies accepted.

Not at this time.

Speed limit has been talked about before. I've not seen it mentioned as being on the developer road map for the near future.

The trick is getting the data in, in the first place. Right now, waze knows how fast people drive a road. Not what they are legally allowed to do.

So, the question is... how does waze get this data into the system, if they do want to do it.

There are two camps and both have legitimate reason for and against it.
Some map editors don't want to have another layer of update request for speed limit changes
Some users think this is a needed feature as it is sometimes hard to tell what the speed limit is in an unfamiliar area, and it may not be well signed.

Right now... waze is working hard on getting existing features running better/faster, so I wouldn't expect it soon.
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
RallyChris

Re: Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby razor2k » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:43 pm

jeff412 wrote:Speed limit info is one of my requirements when picking out a GPS. I don't need it for routing or traffic.

Jeff

Maybe waze isn't for you;-)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual
razor2k
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby realc4ever » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:57 am

i currently use Sygic GPS, as it has speed limits.

It also has options to be alerted if you are going 3, 6, or 9 MPH faster or slower than the posted speed limit. I sometimes have it run in the background because the audible alert will go off.

It's not a free app but there is a free trial.

Copilot boasts speed limits but in the USA version it doesn't work.
realc4ever

Postby realc4ever » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:12 pm

i understand.

but what i was saying with Sygic is that someone can run it in the background while using waze and can be alerted if they are speeding via a sound that sygic outputs.

People desire speed limits in waze so they dont speed on the road they are on if the speed limit is unknown. No one wants waze to base its' navigation on the posted speed limit.

perhaps waze could make an option in the client to display the average road speed in place of the speedometer and that would be a quick fix for those of us desiring speed limits.
realc4ever

Postby realc4ever » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:46 pm

of course a driver should be paying to attention to the road and their driving and reading signs 100% of the time.
But who in reality behaves like this 100% of the time ?

All that is desired is an audible warning if we are driving over the posted speed limit. That is all.
Other nav apps do this.

With waze, whenever a speed limit sign is seen, someone can enter it into map. It's not that hard really. It's not any different than reporting a hazard or map issue.

Waze can assume the speed limit is the same for the entire road, until someone else enters a new speed limit.
realc4ever

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App