speed limit of the road on the map

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby jeff412 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:58 am

If you lived where I do, or if you have traveled like I have perhaps you would have a different perspective on the world around you. Not everyone lives in a big city with "1000's" of vehicles around. I live in a small rural community where a traffic jam is defined by two cars stopped in the road talking to each other. Speed limit signs are easily covered by overgrowth. Get your heads out of your ____'s and realize that your perspective on the world around you isn't the only one.

Jeff
jeff412

Postby bgodette » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:57 am

jeff412 wrote:If you lived where I do, or if you have traveled like I have perhaps you would have a different perspective on the world around you. Not everyone lives in a big city with "1000's" of vehicles around. I live in a small rural community where a traffic jam is defined by two cars stopped in the road talking to each other. Speed limit signs are easily covered by overgrowth. Get your heads out of your ____'s and realize that your perspective on the world around you isn't the only one.
BFE is even easier; it's as fast as the harvester will go. The same rules apply, don't drive like an idiot and Deputy Strate won't be picking you that day.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kuhlkatz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:23 am

bgodette wrote:BFE is even easier; it's as fast as the harvester will go. The same rules apply, don't drive like an idiot and Deputy Strate won't be picking you that day.

Just guessing here, but are we drumming up support for Waze or trying to push users over to [add you fave GPS name (that might or might not support speed limit data) here] ?

I sure as hell think this is not working ... :roll:
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby invented » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:30 am

jeff412 wrote:I drive a lot and not just a daily communte. Many times I am in unfamiliar areas. I have a Garmin GPS that has speed limit information on it. I use this information all the time. Speed limit info is one of my requirements when picking out a GPS. I don't need it for routing or traffic. I need it to prevent me from getting a speeding ticket. Once all of the routing issues are fixed with Waze, I want Speed Limit data. I will gladly help enter the information.

Jeff

Good news: the routing issues will never be fixed.
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented

Postby gkpdx » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:53 pm

I can understand why Waze might be reluctant to include speed limits and over limit warnings as options. However, other apps include these and the TOS includes a disclaimer as to accuracy to which the user must agree. This seems like a good solution to me.

An oft heard argument against it is something like, "If you don't speed you don't need to worry about it." That makes sense, except that in many areas speed limits have been changed arbitrarily in order to increase traffic fine revenue. To me, this makes a mockery of the notion that speed limits are sensible and reasonable. Municipalities are strapped for cash and an abrupt speed limit change from say, 45 mph to 30 mph, is guaranteed to produce lots of tickets. So a little beep reminding me that the speed limit has changed is most welcome.

I am sure we can all think of examples of nearby communities that have really been aggressive in this regard. For example in the Portland area, the suburb of Milwaukie is recognized by many for its gratuitous speed limit changes and placement so that its ticket vans can maximize their "haul." Sad but true is the observation that citizens need all the help we can get to protect ourselves from predatory local governmental regulations.
gkpdx

Postby invented » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:27 am

gkpdx wrote:So a little beep reminding me that the speed limit has changed is most welcome.

Are you volunteering to make all the timely speed limit parameter changes to all segments across the world? Else, how would this database stay up-to-date? We already have whole towns that are still crap basemap road data, let alone lacking speed limit data.
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented

speed limit of the road on the map

Postby fvwazing » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:08 am

invented wrote:
jeff412 wrote:I drive a lot and not just a daily communte. Many times I am in unfamiliar areas. I have a Garmin GPS that has speed limit information on it. I use this information all the time. Speed limit info is one of my requirements when picking out a GPS. I don't need it for routing or traffic. I need it to prevent me from getting a speeding ticket. Once all of the routing issues are fixed with Waze, I want Speed Limit data. I will gladly help enter the information.

Jeff

Lol. We stop fixing just before the last one!
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby mssusa » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:22 am

invented wrote:
gkpdx wrote:So a little beep reminding me that the speed limit has changed is most welcome.

Are you volunteering to make all the timely speed limit parameter changes to all segments across the world? Else, how would this database stay up-to-date? We already have whole towns that are still crap basemap road data, let alone lacking speed limit data.

And who's volunteering now to fix the base map and map entire countries with no base map?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby floppyrod84 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:03 am

It still isn't enough people. Longggg term yeah why not, but we need the map accurate first and that could take quite a while!

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby harling » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:52 pm

fvwazing wrote:
invented wrote:
jeff412 wrote:Once all of the routing issues are fixed with Waze, I want Speed Limit data. I will gladly help enter the information.
Lol. We stop fixing just before the last one!

I don' t have a problem with adding speed limit data per se. Once we have put to rest all the higher-priority issues like finishing the maps and perfecting the routing algorithm, if we have time on our hands each day after resolving URs and following road construction, why not?

Until then, however, anything that diverts resources (developers & editors) from Waze's core functionality will only serve to delay solving those high-priority issues.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App