speed limit of the road on the map

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby RallyChris » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Apologies accepted.

Not at this time.

Speed limit has been talked about before. I've not seen it mentioned as being on the developer road map for the near future.

The trick is getting the data in, in the first place. Right now, waze knows how fast people drive a road. Not what they are legally allowed to do.

So, the question is... how does waze get this data into the system, if they do want to do it.

There are two camps and both have legitimate reason for and against it.
Some map editors don't want to have another layer of update request for speed limit changes
Some users think this is a needed feature as it is sometimes hard to tell what the speed limit is in an unfamiliar area, and it may not be well signed.

Right now... waze is working hard on getting existing features running better/faster, so I wouldn't expect it soon.
RallyChris

Re: Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby bgodette » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:29 pm

gkpdx wrote:
xteejx wrote:Who is going to pay for this data that has already been collected? Plus the licensing issues, and who would own the data after its been updated etc?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Suppose another company owns rights to a suitable dataset, is willing to license it and wants money. Then the clever negotiating initiative may be to use Waze’ rapidly growing user base and its unique, easy and fun, user-driven update model to arrive at a mutually beneficial ongoing agreement that would produce a "best in class" feature for both companies.
Just like GasBuddy partnered with Waze to grow their base and coverage... oh wait...

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mssusa » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:22 am

invented wrote:
gkpdx wrote:So a little beep reminding me that the speed limit has changed is most welcome.

Are you volunteering to make all the timely speed limit parameter changes to all segments across the world? Else, how would this database stay up-to-date? We already have whole towns that are still crap basemap road data, let alone lacking speed limit data.

And who's volunteering now to fix the base map and map entire countries with no base map?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby razor2k » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:43 pm

jeff412 wrote:Speed limit info is one of my requirements when picking out a GPS. I don't need it for routing or traffic.

Jeff

Maybe waze isn't for you;-)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
razor2k

Postby harling » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:09 am

mssusa wrote:
xteejx wrote:+1 it needs too much work to implement, and time that could be better spent giving a more useful base service!

OK. Wouldn't it then be better to give this as an explanation instead of "you don't need to know the official speed limit"?

Nobody is saying "you don't need to know the speed limit":
    1) Waze doesn't need to know the speed limit in order to function; and
    2) Anyone who does want to know the speed limit, can look through the windshield for posted signs
harling

Postby mssusa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:15 am

xteejx wrote:+1 it needs too much work to implement, and time that could be better spent giving a more useful base service!

OK. Wouldn't it then be better to give this as an explanation instead of "you don't need to know the official speed limit"?

For me it could be useful in countries I'm not familiar with. But it is not really important. What is important for me is that Waze displays traffic code properly. When I move at 20km/h on a freeway /highway segment I call that traffic. When it takes me 10 minutes and 4 or 5 red/green switches to clear an intersection I call that traffic. I don't care if this is the normal pace during this time of the day in that particular segment. Anything less than the speed limit is traffic in my book.

mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Re: Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby dmcconachie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 pm

bgodette wrote:
gkpdx wrote:
xteejx wrote:Who is going to pay for this data that has already been collected? Plus the licensing issues, and who would own the data after its been updated etc?

Suppose another company owns rights to a suitable dataset, is willing to license it and wants money. Then the clever negotiating initiative may be to use Waze’ rapidly growing user base and its unique, easy and fun, user-driven update model to arrive at a mutually beneficial ongoing agreement that would produce a "best in class" feature for both companies.
Just like GasBuddy partnered with Waze to grow their base and coverage... oh wait...

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.

And WhatGas over here... No... Wait

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie

Re: Re: Re: speed limit of the road on the map

Postby mssusa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:39 am

harling wrote:
mssusa wrote:

Nobody is saying "you don't need to know the speed limit":
    1) Waze doesn't need to know the speed limit in order to function; and
    2) Anyone who does want to know the speed limit, can look through the windshield for posted signs

I guess you either did not complete reading my post or I didn't explain myself well

mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager

Previous

Return to Waze App