train mode for passive wazers

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Postby siilhhhi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi all! My police car idea was not popular, but lets talk about train mode.

People sometimes want to help drivers and change their waze icon to train (only one icon more!) while they travel by train. Others may see trains on map and maybe in future some warnings or re-directions or "get friend from train" will be calculated? :?

...and ferries? ;)
siilhhhi

Postby BlazeTool » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Wazing from anything other than an automobile is unsupported and heavily frowned upon as it causes problem reports and mucks with the speed data.
BlazeTool

Re: train mode for passive wazers

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Ditto what BT said.

Ferries, as a mode of transportion which is carrying your car, is generally OK. Ferry routes are often mapped as real roads in Waze.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:57 pm

While Wazing on trains and other forms of transportation is not supported, it happens. And it often happens unintentionally: people forget to turn off Waze when they get out of their car and hop on the train, for example. And that is where the solution of providing different modes breaks down: if people forget to turn off Waze when they get on the train, they are probably going to forget to switch to 'train" mode.

This is the main argument for mapping (but not connecting!) rail lines. Hopefully the client will "snap to" the rail segment and isolate GPS tracks from the adjacent roads.

In theory, Waze has the infrastructure to start keeping track of (above-ground) rail activity, and even offer a "use public transportation" option on the client that considers these alternate forms. But anything along those lines would be far down the road (no pun intended) from here.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:21 pm

And even if it doesn't actually snap to the rail line in the app, when the drive is processed, it should "snap" to the rail line. I wonder if someone could confirm?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby siilhhhi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:08 pm

harling wrote:-cut-
if people forget to turn off Waze when they get on the train, they are probably going to forget to switch to 'train" mode.

This is the main argument for mapping (but not connecting!) rail lines. Hopefully the client will "snap to" the rail segment and isolate GPS tracks from the adjacent roads.
-cut-

Yes, some people forget to turn Waze off in train, but this is quickly solved problem with new option "on railway turn Waze to train mode". We will see train on Live map!

In my opinion railway "GPS tracks" are not dangerous, it is easy to ignore them.
siilhhhi

Postby harling » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:15 pm

kriimsilm wrote:
harling wrote:if people forget to turn off Waze when they get on the train, they are probably going to forget to switch to 'train" mode...

Yes, some people forget to turn Waze off in train, but this is quickly solved problem with new option "on railway turn Waze to train mode". We will see train on Live map! In my opinion railway "GPS tracks" are not dangerous, it is easy to ignore them.

So you're suggesting that when the client snaps to a railroad segment, it should become a train-ish icon on other Wazer's clients and the Livemap?

That would be cute. Still a long way off, though, unless Waze seriously increases its development staff. [Preferably in Boston. My resume is waiting.]
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:27 pm

An office in the garden of England would look nicer ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby siilhhhi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:27 am

harling wrote:So you're suggesting that when the client snaps to a railroad segment, it should become a train-ish icon on other Wazer's clients and the Livemap?

This is more than I expected. Automatic icon helps of course better to understand how rail transport affects to road transport. :idea: If impact is high, then it is possible to make Waze even better in future.

Of course there are exceptions like car train in some countries. Train between FR-UK is not good sample, this is more like subway, but train itself is something similar.

PS. I know good place for Waze office too, if needed. :D
siilhhhi

Postby sharkbit13 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:47 am

I am seeing more and more map errors caused by people on trains with Waze on... I update the maps in the DC /Baltimore area, and as people learn about Waze it is becoming more common of an error.

I am now even seeing people try and Pave their train routes! (For Reasons Unknown) As the roads marked as train tracks don't show up on the Waze app.

So I think this feature is Needed!
sharkbit13

Next

Return to Waze App