Offline and Points

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Offline and Points

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm sure you searched for this question and answer before posting right? I guess I'll add this to the FAQ since it comes up about weekly.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 pm

It's been FAQ'd: http://bit.ly/WazeFAQ
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:24 pm

CBenson wrote:I find the FAQ to be misleading.
In order for you to get credit for and being able to see your drive in the editor, Waze must be able to upload your drive at the end of your trip. Waze sends this information when you shut it down. The Waze app does not cache your drives until it has a valid connection. If the Waze app does not have a connection to the servers when you shut down, your drive data will be lost, and any points associated with it will not be credited.

This seems to imply that if you have a solid connection for your trip up to the very end, but then lose the connection and shut down waze your drive data will be lost. At least for me on Android, that's not what happens. The only data I lose is data from the part of the trip for which there was not a data connection.

Lacking scientific data, I resorted to anecdotal. I agree with you that I have seen that happen to me too, on iOS. However, I'd had many not happen that way. I cannot figure out the necessary details to be conclusive. You are free to adjust/amend/add to the answer. Not sure how to do that without getting overly confusing, though.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:50 pm

I find the FAQ to be misleading.
In order for you to get credit for and being able to see your drive in the editor, Waze must be able to upload your drive at the end of your trip. Waze sends this information when you shut it down. The Waze app does not cache your drives until it has a valid connection. If the Waze app does not have a connection to the servers when you shut down, your drive data will be lost, and any points associated with it will not be credited.

This seems to imply that if you have a solid connection for your trip up to the very end, but then lose the connection and shut down waze your drive data will be lost. At least for me on Android, that's not what happens. The only data I lose is data from the part of the trip for which there was not a data connection.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Well I park in an underground garage at work where there is no network connection. So I end all my morning commutes without a network connection with no problem at all. Waze just shows the track ending somewhere on the street before I enter the garage. However, I have a network connection up until the time I enter the garage.

I might adjust the middle paragraph to state:
In regards to points or drive integrity, Waze will collect the data in terms of where you have driven even during network outages. In order for you to get credit for and being able to see in the editor your drive data collected during network outages, Waze must be able to upload your drive at the end of your trip. Waze sends this retained information when you shut it down. The Waze app does not cache your drives after shut down. If the Waze app does not have a connection to the servers when you shut down, any drive data not yet uploaded to the waze servers will be lost, and any points associated with it will not be credited.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Offline and Points

Postby KG03MRY » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:26 am

Hi guys

My cellular network provider is having problems in my area at the moment resulting in me having no data connection. I don't need navigation and understand that traffic info etc won't be available.

When I arrive home tonight, my iPhone will connect automatically to a wireless network.

What will happen to the points I earn through any driving that I do? Will they be uploaded when on wireless or lost?

Thanks
KG03MRY
KG03MRY

Postby KG03MRY » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It's been FAQ'd: http://bit.ly/WazeFAQ

Ooops! Sorry! Thanks for your help
KG03MRY

Return to Waze App