Major highways disappear when zoomed out

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Major highways disappear when zoomed out

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:36 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:With today's NA map update, the persistence of road visibility is much better. Minor highways disappear at zoom 8, major at 10 and freeways at 12. This is significantly better than before. I feel freeways should stick around for a couple more zoom levels out as at that level you get an idea of a good part of several US states at the same time.

I don't see why Freeways should disappear at all. When we do our frequent troubleshooting of certain features that require finding other Champs on the map, the interstates are the only way of finding a spot across the country, since display of rivers and lakes and other geographical features, and borderlines are not necessarily visible or helpful. I can look at a grid of the interstates and find just about any major city.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby deeggo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:10 am

They're still not back for me. I did a reload of the map in the client, planned a route. Nothing helped.
uploadfromtaptalk1356948639477.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1356948639477.jpg (92.27 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:28 am

deeggo wrote:They're still not back for me. I did a reload of the map in the client, planned a route. Nothing helped.

What zoom level do they disappear? Check what I wrote above if you haven't already, about what I found so far.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby deeggo » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:41 am

They're back! I don't know what triggered it, but when I started the client to check at which zoom level they disappear, they didn't disappear anymore. Weird, but hey, we're used to that and it works...
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby e92mech » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 pm

The problem is now fixed for me after I reloaded map tiles. iphone5, North America.

Thank you for getting to this. The app is tremendously more usable now.
e92mech

Postby darkchunsa » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:29 am

Hi all, glad i found this thread. I live near Los Angeles, CA, where zooming out to view freeway traffic for two counties is a must. Unfortunately, all streets, highways, and freeways disappear at zoom 6. I have an iPhone 4s iOS 6.1.3 Waze 3.7. The 5-step refresh map tiles suggestion does not resolve my problem - all lines are still completely gone. see attached photos of the difference between zoom 5 (left side) and zoom 6 (right side). I can't even see all of one county, never mind getting to at least zoom 8 to determine one route length out. Does this make any sense?
Attachments
Photo Jun 05.jpg
Photo Jun 05.jpg (117.36 KiB) Viewed 502 times
darkchunsa

Major highways disappear when zoomed out

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:41 am

Kina10 wrote:Unfortunately, all streets, highways, and freeways disappear at zoom 6.. .

This was fixed a long time ago. Please try to refresh maps in advanced settings. Here's my view just a moment ago of the LA area.

Why is seeing the traffic a must?
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby darkchunsa » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:09 pm

oh how odd, now that it's morning, the roads are showing. is it a day vs night thing? I will check again tonight. attached is why checking traffic is a necessity - this is early morning traffic, and it's only going to get worse from here. of course, at this zoom level, you still can't tell what's going on traffic wise. I normally need the kind of detail is get from another maps app to determine when taking local would be the wiser choice. many times LA commuters hop on and off freeways depending on jams.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (205.81 KiB) Viewed 475 times
darkchunsa

Postby darkchunsa » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:14 pm

here is the same area on a diff app - much more useful traffic-wise, not as useful for police or hazards. I like waze when I'm going somewhere I already know where the typical traffic is. then it helps me with last minute hazards and which side of the road it might be on. I don't use waze any other time cuz quite frankly, it just doesn't give me the level on zoom + traffic I need when viewing possible routes (even during guided navigation).
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (235.4 KiB) Viewed 474 times
darkchunsa

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Kina10 wrote:oh how odd, now that it's morning, the roads are showing. is it a day vs night thing? I will check again tonight. attached is why checking traffic is a necessity...

I checked in night mode too and it looked fine. So, you don't just let Waze choose the right/fastest route for you? That's what it's designed for....
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Waze App