Problems and discussion on Android Client 2.0.x

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Problems and discussion on Android Client 2.0.x

Postby dalesd » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi Wayne. Thanks for taking an interest in this issue.

First, the phone is a Nexus One, running Android 2.2.1. It's mounted in a car dock on the dashboard. The GPS signal isn't an issue. I use a Garmin Nuvi in the same place and it gets good GPS signals there too.

It has not worked with any of the 1.10 betas. It did work with 1.9 (was that the name of the official version before the 2.0 release?) but that crashed too much and I switched to the beta as soon as I discovered it.

Here's a link to a map along my route.
http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=8&lat ... yers=BTTTT
I drive south on East st., left onto High Plain (rt 27), right onto Providence Highway south (Rt 1), ramp on left to I-95 south, to 495 North to 290 West.

My recorded routes in my dashboard look fine. Most of them are a lot shorted then they should be because I often quit the app so I can use my bluetooth controls.
Nexus One 2.2.1
dalesd

Postby dalesd » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:18 pm

With all that said, I don't think it's a problem with the map.

Most of my testing is on a drive from home to work, and from work to home. But Waze only finds a route when I'm within 2-ish miles of my destination.

It tries again and again (I see an "operation failed" message in the network usage area), but it eventually stops doing that after a while.

If the problem is with the map, then there must be at least two problems, with one close to home and one close to work.
Nexus One 2.2.1
dalesd

Postby dalesd » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:30 am

I cleared the cache and all application data (under settings, applications, etc.) and preliminary results indicate it's working better now. My car dock is in the shop for repair, so I can't keep an eye on Waze like I usually do, but I'm beginning to believe there was some corrupted data in there.

Thanks, WM!
Nexus One 2.2.1
dalesd

Postby dalesd » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:10 pm

waynemcdougall wrote:You may not thank me when you read my previous post, although I have spent 3 hours going over your route, fixing what errors I could. :?

I'm speechless. I have no speech. This is a whole other dimension to Waze that I kinda knew was there, but I had no idea how much is involved in making these maps. Amazing.

Is there a better subforum for discussing these map issues? It's not an Android issue.
Nexus One 2.2.1
dalesd

Postby dalesd » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:57 pm

waynemcdougall wrote:It's not a very clean looking map. :-) Not that I'm saying that;s the cause, but we'd want to eliminate it as a confounding variable. Especially if Waze is trying to find an alternative route and then gets confounded by illogic and gives up with a timing error. I think I've seen cases like that.
Makes sense.
I've changed Lorusso Rd to be twoway (being a no-exit road) and allowed right hand turns into East St.
Yup, that's right. Many of these roads like Lorusso (small residential developments) are shown as one way roads on the map. In reality, they're not. Is this some convention on the map that I'm not familiar with, or are these errors?
No road allows turns into Meadow Lane.
There are no turn restrictions onto Meadow Lane.
Can you really not turn west into High Plain St from Washington St? So most of the roads off High Plain St don't have turns enabled at the junctions.
It's a 4-way intersection at High Plain and Washington, with a traffic light. There are left turn only lanes on Washington St (northbound and southbound), but otherwise no turn restrictions, other than No Turn on Red (IIRC).

The map shows a bunch of short unnamed roads at the NW corner of the intersection of High Plain and Providence Highway. They're not really there. It's just a gas station.
Hmm, ok so they've never been updated. You've been lucky to get a Base Map with street names. Haven't seen that before.
And Hummingbird Ln is there. It's a pretty new development, only a few years old. I mapped that with my bike gps and uploaded the track to OpenStreetMap. I was so proud of my little contribution. :) Up until now, that was the extent of my mapping experience.
Sorry this is becoming stream of consciousness, but it's past my bedtime :o

Ok, so here is a real problem. The one-way Provide highway south bound also allows a turn into High Plain St. I've fixed that, but it will take a while for the routing server to learn that. And of course that may be completely unrelated to your problems (most likely it is not at all related, but we should eliminate it)

Hmm, Waipo Street is at the same level as the I-95 - I don't think that's right. I'll put Waipo at level -1 to go under the I-95
I don't see Waipo st. Could it be Walpole St (turns into Old Post Rd at Providence Hwy)? Walpole st goes under 95.
Does S Walpole St really go UNDER the I-95 Southbound lane and OVER the I-95 northbound lane?
Same question for S Main St?
Yes, that's correct for S. Walpole. 95 goes under S. Main.
Does the I-495 really intersect with South St? I think those junctions should be removed, and the levels changed. But I haven't done it, because I don't know the area. http://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5&l ... 1=22518256

Same deal with Spruce St a little further west...

Also is I-495 and West St supposed to intersect?
No, none of those intersect with 495. I'm not sure if they go over or under.
{lots more stuff}
In summary, the map is so poor in this area, I wouldn't blame the client for any routing rejigs until the map is cleaned up. I may have done enough to get a clean route in the one direction once the Live map updates flow through to the routing server and your device.
Agreed. Now that I've had a chance to see the sausage getting made, I can hardly blame the client.
As Area Manager I think you need to take more responsibility for checking your own route for a start.

Who's the area manager? Me? How did that happen?
Nexus One 2.2.1
dalesd

Postby dalesd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 pm

2.0.2.7 beta and my routing doesn't work again. Routing server timeout.
It had been working well to and from work since Wayne made those map edits.
Nexus One 2.2.1
dalesd

Postby dalesd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:40 pm

gerben wrote:Routing works fine for me on ...7

Sure, but I had issues before, which seemed to be map issues. Then Wayne made some map edits, and the problem cleared up. Now routing doesn't work again.
Nexus One 2.2.1
dalesd

Postby gerben » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Routing works fine for me on ...7
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby helpdeskneko » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:38 am

Hey been running around a lot getting some good, some bad results. Editing my map is getting easier, but I've had some recent issues with the new items. Not collecting some ghosts/pumpkins along the way, though I am getting dots going through the area. What I was really disappointed about was the treasure chest I went half a mile out of the way for - It popped up and told me I had won a grab-bag and to check my email for details - but no email :?:

Neko
helpdeskneko

Postby Lonewolf147 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:43 am

I've been having a problem since upgrading to version 2.x (currently running 2.0.1.4) where the routing server times out every time I try to run a route, unless I'm under 8 miles from the destination (and even then it occasionally takes until I'm less than 4 miles). I'm using a Droid with Android v2.2. I never had any problems with the routing server before the upgrade (except for the 150 mile routing limitation). I'm the manager of my area so I've been checking my routes in the cartouche but can't find any issues with them.

I can't do a search on the forums for 'routing server time outs' because the words are too common. So since I found this thread I figured I would try asking here :) Any thoughts or ideas as to what's going on?
Lonewolf147

Next

Return to Waze App