Forum rules
Neben dem WME-Chat ist die deutsche Community auch auf Discord zu finden. 

Für Hilfe im Editor oder Unlocks erreichst Du die Community jetzt auf Discord

Die Nutzung von Discord ist kostenfrei.

Legality

Post by Dansbo
Hi. I have heard that it is illegal to use GPS with records of where the Police are. Is waze illegal to use in germany?
Dansbo
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:17012490

Send a message

Post by Dansbo
Thanks for your replies
Dansbo
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Mynios
I'm not a lawyer but from my point of view we are in a gray area. It's not allowed to use device with the single use of detecting speed traps or stop-and-search operation.

If you will be stoped by the police you should turn of your screen. You don't have to turn on screen on police request.

Waze blocked this function for a long time in DACH and France because they thought it's illegal. Germany got this function back after hard discussions.
Mynios
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by WilfredsCat
Definitely not illegal.
But it's illegal to hold the Smartphone in your Hand while driving. Use a Smartphone Car Holder.
It's legal limbo to tap on the Screen while driving. Better don't do it while Police is near to you - even if you are at a traffic light.
About the reporting of Police - I don't have a clue. Never heard of it, that it's illegal in Germany but I would be suprised if they are looking for Waze ;)
Also the SpeedCams are legal limbo. In Switzerland they are forbidden so even in Waze they deleted them and also disabled the function to report some.

Mynios was quicker... Yes, you can turn off your screen and don't need to turn it on again.

If I'm not wrong you can also disable the SpeedCams in the App. I think everyone is using it but if you feel uncomfortable, disable it.
WilfredsCat
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message