Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Multiple entrances to a PLA?

Post by n8nagel
https://www.waze.com/editor?env=usa&lon ... 170.517283

I'm specifically trying to address the McElderry Street Garage. Had to take a friend to JHOC this morning and Waze routed me to Jefferson St. because presumably the entry point was not correctly located. I have fixed that; the exit is actually to the McElderry St. circle, and finally, there is a secondary entry/exit on Jefferson St. but that is for employees only.

Is it possible to set up multiple entrances/exits to route employees to the right place? Or should I just leave it as it is? Thanks for any advice. I wouldn't make such a big deal out of this but traffic is insanely heavy in this area in the morning and any mistakes WILL make you late for an appointment even if you think you've left enough time. Somehow my travel time went from less than an hour to 1:40 over the course of the drive; it was a good thing I left early!
n8nagel

POSTER_ID:11401730

Send a message

Post by james890526
The multiple entry points feature is still under testing. You are probably a beta tester to be able to utilise this feature?
james890526
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Best regards,
Lee Zhong Zhen
Local Champ - Malaysia

Waze Malaysia http://i.imgur.com/RVOq2tk.png https://i.imgur.com/6Rk8oL5.png https://i.imgur.com/vk73Muu.png

Post by jm6087
n8nagel wrote:So I'm still having issues with this. Had to go to JHOC again this morning and Waze routed me to N Broadway and Jefferson St. not N Caroline St. and McElderry St. as it should be. I just tried on my phone again searching in the Waze app for "Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center" and two of the top three results give the above behavior with one giving correct directions. I don't see any indication on my phone that these results are being pulled from different sources they all look identical. Place marker in WME is correct. I really have no idea what's wrong, I've had to go there enough times that I know where I'm going now but Waze users that don't know the area are going to be directed to a small parking lot that doesn't even abut the building entrance. Permalink: https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... 170.285480
This location does not have multiple entry points mapped. I have looked at it and everything appears correct from what I can tell. The only thing I can think of is that maybe there are other google results that are providing bad destination information or possibly using Lyft/Uber to get the directions. Lyft/Uber do not use the Waze place found, they use the Lat/Lon of the Google place found, which would take you to the wrong location.

I would suggest you post your issue in the Maryland forum so they can take a closer look at it.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by kumiankka
n8nagel wrote:the Orleans St. Garage has no "primary lot type" selected while McElderry St. is "restricted". The former shows up in results and the latter does not. Could that be the issue?
Yes. Currenly only unrestricted PLA's show up in suggestions.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
ranttine wrote:One way to do it: PLR goes in the middle of the parking lot and multiple PLR's leading to it. PLAs target is on the center PLR. Drawback is that the user never actually reaches the goal (because it's underground) but is routed to the entrance which makes most sense.

https://s7.postimg.cc/dsbx9lp6f/Screen_Shot_2018-05-23_at_21.56.53.png

^That particular underground parking lot has 2 two way entrances, 1 one way entrance, 1 one way exit.
Does it actually work nowdays? Routing server used to take the closest point quite literally and route users to the same segment every time regardless of where they were coming from – even if it required 20 km detour – just because in the end it took you three millimeters closer to the entry/exit point than the shortest route via another segment leading to the same place.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
Fair enough... I haven't edited seriously for a while but this morning's escapades NEEDED an edit, I'll just leave it as it is now as as you say, the employees should know where their special entrance is, but the general public should be directed to the public entrance.
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
So I refreshed maps this morning out of curiosity; a place that I added last night is now showing up in search results. However if I navigate to "Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center" the McElderry St. Garage does not show up in the list of nearby parking, where it should be the first/closest result. But, if I navigate to "McElderry St. Garage - Johns Hopkins Hospital" I end up at the correct location.

Anyone have any ideas why the McElderry St. Garage is not showing up when navigating to JHOC? I see that the Orleans St. Garage has no "primary lot type" selected while McElderry St. is "restricted". The former shows up in results and the latter does not. Could that be the issue?

thanks!
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
So I just tried it and the only change subsequent to my last post was changing the parking garage to "public" (I can't apparently unset the type once it's set) and at least routing to the patient/visitor entrance is working, and also it shows up as the first parking suggestion when navigating to JHOC which is correct.
n8nagel
Send a message

Post by n8nagel
So I'm still having issues with this. Had to go to JHOC again this morning and Waze routed me to N Broadway and Jefferson St. not N Caroline St. and McElderry St. as it should be. I just tried on my phone again searching in the Waze app for "Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center" and two of the top three results give the above behavior with one giving correct directions. I don't see any indication on my phone that these results are being pulled from different sources they all look identical. Place marker in WME is correct. I really have no idea what's wrong, I've had to go there enough times that I know where I'm going now but Waze users that don't know the area are going to be directed to a small parking lot that doesn't even abut the building entrance. Permalink: https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... 170.285480
n8nagel
Send a message