Un-dividing divided roads

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Un-dividing divided roads

Postby gohamstergo » Wed May 15, 2013 1:41 am

So, what is the general consensus? Personally, I'd like to unsplit most (if not all) intersections to give full control of the turns. Is this an acceptable practice now? There may be times where leaving them split is best, I'm not sure. Just looking for input before I make any of this style of change on a broad scale.
gohamstergo

Postby CBenson » Fri May 10, 2013 6:13 pm

There is also a link to a video using an earlier version of WME here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14193&p=128872#p128895
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby BrianCanFixIT » Fri May 10, 2013 2:19 pm

It would also be good news for currently split intersections with impossible-to-add u-turn restrictions.
Area Manager: Sacramento & rural California
iPhone 4s, iOS 5.0.1 JB
BrianCanFixIT

Postby Borgholio » Fri May 10, 2013 7:52 pm

I think I understand now. Question, what about the "V"s left over on either end? Would I simply leave them intact and only un-divide the road at intersections?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Borgholio » Fri May 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Not sure what you mean...leave the road divided but change to two-way?

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Un-dividing divided roads

Postby Borgholio » Fri May 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Now that single roads have the option for a U-Turn at junctions, would it make sense in some cases to un-divide roads, at least at intersections? The goal is to eliminate erroneous "roads are too far apart" problems caused by U-turns too far away from the street junction.

Image Image
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bgodette » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:51 pm

gohamstergo wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Unsplitting is likely to generate even more Missing Road type MPs. There's no need to do anything about those unless an actual road is missing.

Semi-dated thread, but I finally found an intersection somebody made that is a perfect example of what I was talking about.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=55569961

With an intersection like this, ALL turns are controlled, without having to use "short segment" tricks, etc. I kind of like it, but....
Just a comment about something I see near by: Pretend the segment type of Service Road doesn't exist. It's identical to Street, so if you're trying to have routing avoid it, use Parking Lot or Private, and if it's a "frontage" it likely should be Primary or Street depending on Functional Class.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Mon May 20, 2013 1:08 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
bgodette wrote:Uh it has a potentially bad, or good depending on your objectives, side effect; it averages all the time-slot speeds of all those segments together.

That is one potential downside. Depending on the segments, this may be negligible.
It also, no matter what you do, destroys all accumulated turn timing as well simply because the segment IDs of the newly merged segment will be different. Fortunately that information gets built back up rather quickly.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Mon May 20, 2013 12:59 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I made a little video of this process. Watch it in fullscreen or at least 720p to see details. No cursor capture was working, sorry.

ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Mon May 20, 2013 12:57 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
ncc1701v wrote:I think it would be better to pull away the side roads, remove center connectors, remove junctions and geometry nodes in the two roadways to make very long segments, and then do the merge and reconnect the side roads. First I suspect that would be faster, and second the resulting road would be smoother. No?

Aw, man. Stop it. I'm about to sob with happiness reading such things! :cry: :lol:

That's the exact way to get perfectly straight streets! (No mucking with the junction after of course.)
Uh it has a potentially bad, or good depending on your objectives, side effect; it averages all the time-slot speeds of all those segments together.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor