Should closing URs be limited to Rank 2+?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Postby ottonomy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:31 am

At the very least, I'd like to see a restriction on L1s closing URs with comments on them by other editors, and perhaps a requirement that, on URs without conversations, first a comment must be left by the L1 editor, and then a delay of x days must elapse before the UR can be closed by that L1 editor.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:13 pm

For the second time in a few months, a novice editor has closed on order 100-200 URs in my area without customary etiquette. Different novice each time, and both responded contritely and thoughtfully to PMs.

But the URs are gone forever and there is no way to get them back. One could make a mad dash to work them in the few days left before they disappear. One could also say there shouldn't have been that many lying around to begin with. Both true, but besides the point that this kind of event can and does happen. Repeatedly.

I'd like to propose that closing URs be limited to Rank 2 and above. Rank 1 editors would be more than welcome to converse with the reporter and try to solve the problem, but they would not be able to close the report. This would not prevent a Rank 1 editor from working the UR! It would only prevent him or her from, effectively, deleting it.

Opinions please!

[EDIT: Alternate solutions include (a) allowing Rank 1 editors to close URs pending Rank 2+ approval or (b) allowing closed URs to be re-opened during the time window when they still appear on the map.]
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Re: Should closing URs be limited to Rank 2+?

Postby taco909 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:33 pm

And sometimes it does take a protest.
Like Waze has ign, GMM has editors who are like insurance companies... always deny the claim (except ign always approves.)

I had one where the place point had the full business name AND address.... problem was the address was five blocks south, and 5 miles north.
The request to delete the business (there already was one at the correct location) was denied.
I protested the denial, indicating that the information already contained in Google Maps showed that it was at the wrong location.
A different editor quickly approved it.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby XKSpeed » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:45 pm

tlcarpenter69 wrote:The biggest problem I am having is related to Google Map pins. Unlike others, I'm only batting about .500 with getting changes approved over there.

I approach Google Map issues like a software bug report: steps to replicate, steps to solve, and verification of the solution. Since you're in the business, hopefully that makes sense to you.

My Google Map reports include all these:
1) Why the existing marker is wrong. For example, "causing navigation to street behind the house".
2) Why my suggested change is right. For example, "closer to street the driveway connects to".
3) A way to verify the change. For example, naming the county tax assessor GIS and/or "business can be seen in Street View".

I'm batting .980. If you're doing it this way and getting .500 I don't know what to tell ya. :?
XKSpeed
State Manager
State Manager

Postby tlcarpenter69 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Doomedtx: This is the approach I'm currently taking in the same area. Closed a large number yesterday, a few today, and I see tomorrow has a large number on the chopping block. Once the large number of useless reports are down, then it will be easier to see the new problems, and address them in a timely manner.

BTW...there were a number in the batch I closed yesterday that were submitted in JUNE, and had no comments!
tlcarpenter69

Postby Kraz31 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:58 pm

tlcarpenter69 wrote:And even better, the move was rejected by an editor in India because...you guessed it: "has wrong information".
Story of every GMM edit I've ever made. I've never gotten a reply when I've tried to dispute the rejection either.
Kraz31
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby tlcarpenter69 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Actually, I've entered entire subdivisions without needing a review. One time, however, I entered the address, which was published immediately. I then decided to realign the marker with the other houses. Wouldn't you know it, that slight move required a review. And even better, the move was rejected by an editor in India because...you guessed it: "has wrong information". My guess is that he looked at the satellite which didn't have a subdivision, and rejected it.
tlcarpenter69

Postby HandofMadness » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm at the point where most address edits in Map Maker are published immediately. Business locations still tend to get flagged for approval.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby taco909 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:42 am

I've found that I've had better luck getting Google pins moved by including in the comments "Poorly placed location pin causing Waze users to be directed to <rear of property><residential area behind destination><etc...>"

Especially if you don't have a lot of approved Google MM edits, you don't carry a lot of weight with their editors/approvers... seems that letting them know that you are a Waze editor (without actually saying it) is helpful in establishing credibility.
I've had two denials that were quickly reversed as well, so don't hesitate to respond when denied.

And hey, batting .500 will win the World Series!
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby tlcarpenter69 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:22 am

I'm also late to this party. XKSpeed is also an editor in my area, and the AM, spankdog, has been very helpful. My professional background is as a software engineer, similar to XKSpeed, if you recall his original post.

Even though I have only been doing this a short time, I've already found that I spend the majority of my editing time with URs and not general map edits. However, when working URs I might peruse the area surrounding for any chance items to edit that may not have been reported by anyone.

As XKSpeed and other will verify, there are a large number of unaddressed URs in our area. I've found some approaching 5 months without ANY comments on them, let alone a boilerplate introduction. So my goal right now is to get as many of the URs off the map, following the flowchart and established etiquette.

First off, and maybe this is because I'm relatively new to this, I've only had a handful of URs that I could easily solve without asking any questions based on the error type, problem description, and/or the provided traces. Almost all have required communication with the reporter.

The first URs I look for are General Errors without any problem description. These may or may not have traces, and if after looking I can't figure out what the report would even be about, a boilerplate request goes like this: "Thanks for your report. Can you elaborate on the general error you are reporting?" Lately, the response usually comes back quickly that the report was a mistake. I follow that with a thanks, and tell them I will be closing the report.

For wrong directions, turn not allowed and others of that type, it usually involves some variation of asking for the destination, where they ended up, and where things went wrong. If the trace is somewhat useful, I may also ask about the intersections where the suggested and actual diverge. Before I know the destination, I may also ask them to verify whether the destination is in the correct place using Google Maps. If the destination was a business, I usually ask if they were searching based on a business name or the address.

URO+ helps filter out some of those while I am waiting for a response. Tomorrow I have a large batch of boilerplate GEs and older URs that will pass the 7 day minimum that I will likely be closing. I feel somewhat bad about that, because most of them filed the report for a reason, but I can't fix anything if they don't respond.

The biggest problem I am having is related to Google Map pins. Unlike others, I'm only batting about .500 with getting changes approved over there. The most common denial reason I get is "Has wrong information", without any explanation as to what was missing (but that's the subject of another thread).

In the end I think if most of the editors in an area have a team-minded mentality where they work together to solve issues and not worry about the points, it benefits the area and users in the area as a whole.
tlcarpenter69

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor