Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Should closing URs be limited to Rank 2+?

Post by
For the second time in a few months, a novice editor has closed on order 100-200 URs in my area without customary etiquette. Different novice each time, and both responded contritely and thoughtfully to PMs.

But the URs are gone forever and there is no way to get them back. One could make a mad dash to work them in the few days left before they disappear. One could also say there shouldn't have been that many lying around to begin with. Both true, but besides the point that this kind of event can and does happen. Repeatedly.

I'd like to propose that closing URs be limited to Rank 2 and above. Rank 1 editors would be more than welcome to converse with the reporter and try to solve the problem, but they would not be able to close the report. This would not prevent a Rank 1 editor from working the UR! It would only prevent him or her from, effectively, deleting it.

Opinions please!

[EDIT: Alternate solutions include (a) allowing Rank 1 editors to close URs pending Rank 2+ approval or (b) allowing closed URs to be re-opened during the time window when they still appear on the map.]

POSTER_ID:16850907

Send a message

Post by bart99gt
I've had it happen to me on a couple of occasions, one morning my inbox will be full of "an issue you were following was closed" e-mails from where a lower level editor has gone through and closed a bunch of URs...some of which had active conversations going on in them.

I think the nag message has helped with that some, but you still have others which just close them indiscriminately for the points. As long as Waze has the bonus points out there for resolving 50 URs, you're going to have this problem.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
mdavidsonjr wrote:I personally think that maybe they can come up with a way for the AM of the area to maybe get an email if one gets closed without a comment at least. This way level one editors can work on them also. This may be a good way to do this i think . Should not be closed without 2 comments.
I'm not really for having my inbox flooded with a bunch of e-mails from where a UR was closed without comment.

I'd be more for having some kind of follow up (change the icon next to the UR on the map perhaps) to where a higher level editor has to approve the closure of a UR by a level 1, and once that individual has gotten enough approvals by higher level editors then the editor will allow them to close them without any other review. Too many rejections and it flags them for review by a Champ.

It provides a simple check and balance system. A new editor that genuinely wants to improve the map isn't locked out of closing URs, but it gives the AMs/CM/Champs a way to keep tabs on newbies. Of course I don't know how much would go into implementing something like that.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
Helgramite wrote:My Master of the Obvious moment for Friday ... It would be easier to just NOT display URs to Level 1s. You cant close what you cannot see. Have the L2 upgrade require an AM check of your edits.
I can't really think of a reason why a L1 shouldn't be allowed to close them at all. Even when I started editing, I would regularly submit URs myself as a reminder to go fix something when I got back to a computer.

I think just taking away the ability for a L1 to close a UR entirely without some kind of auditing until they've proven to be reliable is the way to go.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by CBenson
tonestertm wrote:It has been my experience that the vast majority of these types of mass deletions have been editors quite literally in their first day or three of touching the map, and this is accomplished by clicking the Solved button without so much as a whisper of a comment nor a fix on the map.
I really haven't encountered any such mass deletions. But my experience is that URs that are closed as solved without any edit to the map that actually solves the problem does not correlate with the rank of the editor that closes the UR.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
tonestertm wrote:Lucky you! :) Around here it happens, on average, about 2-4 times a month. Most times it's limited to only about 10-25 closures, perhaps because we typically get messages sent right away (responding in closed conversations might help) but occasionally a huge swath of the metropolis is swept clean, including URs with active conversations.
Appears we are lucky. Got a PM from an editor last night about some URs that I asked if could be closed due to age. He said he just moved to LA and had lost track of some of the URs he had attempted to start conversations in back out here. But he had already noticed in LA "some inconsiderate person just closes whatever they feel like closing." So I guess this is more of problem in some areas than others.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Helgramite wrote:I am thinking that a (new) short wiki page that describes the "response" process for users, including some treatment of responding to closed URs would be valuable. Most of the info exist, just not in a single location.
There's a thread over here that could likely use any comments you have.
mdavidsonjr wrote:It would be a lot better if they could reply to an email. We might get a lot more responses if this were an easier process then doing this through the app or the editor. Most people want things simple.
I put my email address in the request for more information, that way users can respond by email.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by citeman
I'm very late to this party, but I still wanted to share my thoughts. I am L3 in Southern California ( a very heavy UR area) and I really work the URs. Yes, we do have newbie editors that come along and close request that are not old (< 10days). However, I only get frustrated when they close URs where a response from the original reporter had occurred. But, most of the time, there was no response, so them closing the UR, was exactly what I was going to do anyway. I think the ability to open a closed UR within the 7 days, while they still appear on the map, would solve this premature closure problem.

As a newbie and sometimes recently, I have been guilty of doing most of the bad things all of you have mentioned. As an example, I used to have very long winded boiler plate request/responses or I did not send a closing comment. Most recently, I have updated my UR process to be mostly consistent with the current Wiki guidelines. Here are my current UR closure processes:

Unclaimed URs
If I cannot see an obvious fix to the initial UR, I send one of many boilerplate request. If that Wazer does not responded within 7 days, I will close the UR. If the unclaimed UR was very old (> 60 days old) upon me coming along; my boilerplate response includes the "open to any editor" note.

Stale Claimed UR (> 60 days since last comment)
If I come across a UR that another editor "claimed" but has not commented in the past 60 days, I will usually send a followup response, introducing myself as another editor. To me, this notice serves as a bump to the original editor and/or notice of planned claim jumping. If no response is provided within 7 days, I close these URs.

Very Stale Claimed UR (>100 days since last comment)
To me these URs are abandoned; If I cannot see a fix, I usually close these request immediately, without providing further notice.

I also understand the problem with points and the reward system, but for self-serving reasons, I think we should get "edit" credits for "working" URs. I have resolved 1000's of URs but I am not moving up in rank because edits are what matter for ranking. Maybe 1 edit for every 10 URs. Curious what others think.
citeman
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
- CITEMAN
Remember to keep Wazing!

https://s.waze.tools/c5s.png https://j.mp/3aCaEGq https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... -01sml.png
Closure & Restrictions Fanatic

Post by coontex
radjax wrote:So what if the UR's are Stagnant.?

what i see often is an editor clicks on multiple UR's and regardless of the message from the user ask a ton more questions from the reporter.
No action is taken to resolve the issue.
When and if that reporter doesn't respond and the UR sits there for months with no activity and clutters the screen.
Per "etiquette.." no one is supposed to act on these. that is crazy?

Its proven that if you dont get a reply within 7 days the chances greatly decrease.
or you will get even less info as they dont remember the details.

Yes if someone just clicks NEW UR's and closes them as solved without doing anything it is a big issue, however this "owenership' and unwillingness to close UR's after making changes in WME is also a problem.
In my opinion if a UR is around 14 days old you can contact the editor that responded to the report to see if he is still working on it or not. If he does not give you a response in a few days then take it over . In my case I have to leave sometimes ad do not have fast enough internet to even access the map so if they are sitting close them but that is just me. If it is something with a conversation between the editor and reporter ask them if you can help.

I have made mistakes in the past even closing out a UR that I thought I was clicked in but it was someone else's because they were so close. The main thing is to help out when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by coontex
It would be a lot better if they could reply to an email. We might get a lot more responses if this were an easier process then doing this through the app or the editor. Most people want things simple.
coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by coontex
CBenson wrote:
Helgramite wrote:I am thinking that a (new) short wiki page that describes the "response" process for users, including some treatment of responding to closed URs would be valuable. Most of the info exist, just not in a single location.
There's a thread over here that could likely use any comments you have.
mdavidsonjr wrote:It would be a lot better if they could reply to an email. We might get a lot more responses if this were an easier process then doing this through the app or the editor. Most people want things simple.
I put my email address in the request for more information, that way users can respond by email.
I think that I may have to create another email address and do this. Just need to make sure if I change my email address in the editor that it will not affect my rank. I don't think it will but need to make sure.
coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message