Should closing URs be limited to Rank 2+?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Should closing URs be limited to Rank 2+?

Postby citeman » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:26 pm

I'm very late to this party, but I still wanted to share my thoughts. I am L3 in Southern California ( a very heavy UR area) and I really work the URs. Yes, we do have newbie editors that come along and close request that are not old (< 10days). However, I only get frustrated when they close URs where a response from the original reporter had occurred. But, most of the time, there was no response, so them closing the UR, was exactly what I was going to do anyway. I think the ability to open a closed UR within the 7 days, while they still appear on the map, would solve this premature closure problem.

As a newbie and sometimes recently, I have been guilty of doing most of the bad things all of you have mentioned. As an example, I used to have very long winded boiler plate request/responses or I did not send a closing comment. Most recently, I have updated my UR process to be mostly consistent with the current Wiki guidelines. Here are my current UR closure processes:

Unclaimed URs
If I cannot see an obvious fix to the initial UR, I send one of many boilerplate request. If that Wazer does not responded within 7 days, I will close the UR. If the unclaimed UR was very old (> 60 days old) upon me coming along; my boilerplate response includes the "open to any editor" note.

Stale Claimed UR (> 60 days since last comment)
If I come across a UR that another editor "claimed" but has not commented in the past 60 days, I will usually send a followup response, introducing myself as another editor. To me, this notice serves as a bump to the original editor and/or notice of planned claim jumping. If no response is provided within 7 days, I close these URs.

Very Stale Claimed UR (>100 days since last comment)
To me these URs are abandoned; If I cannot see a fix, I usually close these request immediately, without providing further notice.

I also understand the problem with points and the reward system, but for self-serving reasons, I think we should get "edit" credits for "working" URs. I have resolved 1000's of URs but I am not moving up in rank because edits are what matter for ranking. Maybe 1 edit for every 10 URs. Curious what others think.
citeman
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Fredo-p » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:56 am

I think this was mentioned before but the idea of certain ranks requiring approval to close at UR, like a place update, would be easier.

This way the editor can ask to have there UR approved and possible get them to interact more with their local editors and SM if available.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby taco909 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:43 am

How about just eliminate the worthless "points" for closing a UR?
Then allow anyone to reopen.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby Kraz31 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:07 pm

You can really see that this has been an issue for some time based on the time stamp of the earliest post.

roadtechie wrote:Instead of restricting who can close a UR I believe anyone should be able to re-open a UR before the 10 day expiration window ends. The only bad thing I could possibly imagine would be if a R1 or possibly R2 decided to re-open a bunch of URs then re-close them trying to get the #'s on their stats. So, maybe make it where any R3 and up can re-open a UR if they believe it was closed improperly.

As a rank 2 editor, I pretty much agree with that comment. I think the ability the reopen URs would be beneficial. But, I'm not sure how you'd make it work with the points system. Would the first person to close get points (prevent people from re-opening and re-closing URs for points) or would the last person to close get points (prevent people from closing and then re-opening for points).

The only other thing I would suggest (and its been mentioned in this thread) is the ability to lock URs up to your level. I don't think it would do me much help, but I think it would help R3+. That could help prevent (1) URs getting closed prematurely and (2) a tug-of-war between someone wanting to close a UR and another person wanting that UR to remain open.
Kraz31
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby roadtechie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Instead of restricting who can close a UR I believe anyone should be able to re-open a UR before the 10 day expiration window ends. The only bad thing I could possibly imagine would be if a R1 or possibly R2 decided to re-open a bunch of URs then re-close them trying to get the #'s on their stats. So, maybe make it where any R3 and up can re-open a UR if they believe it was closed improperly.
roadtechie
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby coontex » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:41 pm

If you have URO+ installed you can click on it and scroll to the bottom and see the AM for that area. You have to have the am layer activated also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby DwarfLord » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:22 pm

If you know the local Area Manager's name you can private-message (PM) that AM via the forums. Unfortunately Waze's Area Manager layer is almost unusable, but you may have a State wiki page that lists your area managers, if they have self-reported to that page. Note that some AMs are quite inactive. At least one AM does not even read PMs, I've had a PM waiting in my outbox for that AM for 7 weeks or so. He/she is still editing, just not checking PMs.

If you can't find or make contact with an AM, you can escalate directly to a Regional Coordinator (RC). A quick search should turn up the page that lists the RCs for various regions. (In fact that's all the AM would do anyway, but the AM would evaluate the situation first and determine if it requires an RC's attention.)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby XKSpeed » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Forgive this, it's slightly off topic, but how does one go about reporting a "rogue" editor?
XKSpeed
State Manager
State Manager

Postby taco909 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:50 am

I really like the idea of a quick response from the app if a reporter is too busy to type in a response.
As for direct email, that would be wonderful, but unfortunately, the only way to do it is "manually"... Waze is big on privacy (and it is a requirement in some countries) so it will never reveal identifying information from any Waze user to any other member except for opt-in options like PM and email from within the forum.

But... there is nothing to stop you from creating your own Gmail account dedicated specifically to Waze. Mine is Taco909waze@gmail.com
If I ever want to go into more detail than would be appropriate for the comments field, I can always invite the reporter to contact me at that address.
I'm putting it out there first, and it is their choice whether to take me up on it and reveal their email address to me.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby XKSpeed » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:36 pm

Thanks for your thoughts.

I would like to emphasize my intent was not to keep URs open for six months or indefinitely for that matter. The root problem is Waze overlooked some basic safeguards for its own policies. As an example, most web sites will prohibit you from saving alpha characters when you're filling out a phone number field. That is to prevent malicious issues and dumb mistakes. Unfortunately, at the higher level such as URs, Waze doesn't have any policy protections. One policy needing protection is that once an editor asks for more info on a UR, it should close a minimum of 7 and a maximum of 30 days later if there's no response from the reporter. And the editor(s) who did the actual work on the UR should get rewarded. Not some random map editor trolling for points.

Taco909 wrote:The specific issue with L1 editors is those doing it for their 50-UR "candy" points

I got into map editing for two reasons: the candy points and because an editor closed some of my URs without doing any work (and they were above level 1). Once in, I found it fun. So the candy is a good lure for new editors, but it's not executed effectively.

Taco909 wrote:as discussed in other threads, all rank of editors sometimes forget that the word "MINIMUM" is in front of "7 Days" on the flowchart and in the Wiki.

Amen. My concern is also the zeal to close, as Taco909 said, 7 days and 1 minute later. If you're going to do that, fine, but let that be automated. Computers are good at things like automation and it saves valuable editing time.

DwarfLord wrote:But as Taco909 said there is the serious danger of being perceived as nagging.

How many times have you e-mailed / texted a friend and asked "hey wanna go to the game this weekend?" and the next day had to send another one asking again? You then find out they meant to reply, but just forgot. Hence the auto-reminders to the reports. As I detailed, reporters typically really want their issue addressed. A couple of polite nudges wouldn't be a bother. Reminders are especially important because Waze is a driving app. If they get that UR notice while they're driving, they're going to wait to respond until they get to their destination. But by then they may have forgotten.

I would add that, as has been previously mentioned in the forums, there could be improvements in the emails the reporters get. That would address the perception of nagging as well. Quick reply buttons/links would be sweet:
"Sorry, I made a mistake, close the UR"
"I forgot, close the UR"
"Please wait, I can't respond right now"

And there should be a direct way for Reporters to respond to a UR via email.
XKSpeed
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor