Should closing URs be limited to Rank 2+?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Should closing URs be limited to Rank 2+?

Postby coontex » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:23 pm

CBenson wrote:
Helgramite wrote:I am thinking that a (new) short wiki page that describes the "response" process for users, including some treatment of responding to closed URs would be valuable. Most of the info exist, just not in a single location.

There's a thread over here that could likely use any comments you have.
mdavidsonjr wrote:It would be a lot better if they could reply to an email. We might get a lot more responses if this were an easier process then doing this through the app or the editor. Most people want things simple.

I put my email address in the request for more information, that way users can respond by email.

I think that I may have to create another email address and do this. Just need to make sure if I change my email address in the editor that it will not affect my rank. I don't think it will but need to make sure.
coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Helgramite » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:54 pm

-
Last edited by Helgramite on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helgramite

Postby tonestertm » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:17 pm

mdavidsonjr wrote:I think that I may have to create another email address and do this. Just need to make sure if I change my email address in the editor that it will not affect my rank. I don't think it will but need to make sure.
It shouldn't affect your rank at all; at least it didn't when I, and several other editors I know, did so.

But there's no need to change your email in the app just to receive replies from reporters with a new address. Granted, it does make things tidier to receive all Waze-related mail to one address. :)
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby taco909 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:30 pm

mdavidsonjr wrote:It would be a lot better if they could reply to an email. We might get a lot more responses if this were an easier process then doing this through the app or the editor. Most people want things simple.

Personally, I think this is a great idea, but I suspect that Waze does not do this out of privacy concerns, both for the editor and users. I'm not familiar with privacy laws outside of the US, but I understand some countries are quite strict... it would have to be routed similarly to the way forum post and PM notifications are handled, but with the body of the message included, and the kicker, a unique traceable ID tag so the editor's response would go back to the reporter's email without revealing any personal information to either party.
-- Rich
ImageImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby Yogi_v2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:39 am

DwarfLord wrote:My concern in this thread is to prevent what amounts to deletion of URs. That is, closure with no attempt to understand or remedy the issue or to allow another editor to do so.

The only solutions I can come up with to prevent that would require coding changes. As it stands now anyone can go in to any UR and just click Solved or NI and close it out without reading anything in the report - which is what they would have to do in order to even understand what's going on.

While you can't force people to read the posts in the UR, you can force them to read the wiki by changing some things around. For example, I'm sure we're all familiar with how Facebook hides their "edit post/delete post" buttons. You have to hover over a certain area of the post and the menu pops up allowing you to click what you need. So for this example, there would be a hidden check box that says "read". All boxes for all messages must be checked before you can close out any UR. Since it is not obvious how to close out a UR, put the instructions in the wiki and force them to at least read how to properly close out a UR.

This is simply an example. There are other ways this could be done, (clicking on the message turns it green, put a "read" button in the corner of the message, you name it) but the overall idea is to add a few simple - but not self explanatory - hurdles that will drive traffic to the wiki page for URs.

Another idea would be to link UR's to the road's rank. For example a UR on a highway would be locked at a 5. Anyone can comment on it and help the reporter, but only a Level 5 editor can close it out. With a Level 4 road, a 4 or 5 editor can close it out and so on and so on, etc., etc.. Since URs with higher level roads are typically more complicated to solve or remedy, this would go a long way in insuring that those corrections take place and aren't lost due to a willy nilly Level 1.

This could be visualized the same way a cluster of traffic reports are on the live map. When you have three reports of slow traffic close to each other you get the warning symbol with a small 3. Likewise, when they can't figure out why they can't close it, they'll go to the wiki and read all about the wondrous world of URs.

That's the best I've got.
Puttering along...
Yogi_v2
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby qwaletee » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:45 pm

That's more complicated than necessary. Once they are making code changes, they can do what they want. Making an unintuitive, hard to use UI is not really the solution.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby coontex » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:28 pm

I personally think that maybe they can come up with a way for the AM of the area to maybe get an email if one gets closed without a comment at least. This way level one editors can work on them also. This may be a good way to do this i think . Should not be closed without 2 comments.
coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby bart99gt » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:39 pm

mdavidsonjr wrote:I personally think that maybe they can come up with a way for the AM of the area to maybe get an email if one gets closed without a comment at least. This way level one editors can work on them also. This may be a good way to do this i think . Should not be closed without 2 comments.

I'm not really for having my inbox flooded with a bunch of e-mails from where a UR was closed without comment.

I'd be more for having some kind of follow up (change the icon next to the UR on the map perhaps) to where a higher level editor has to approve the closure of a UR by a level 1, and once that individual has gotten enough approvals by higher level editors then the editor will allow them to close them without any other review. Too many rejections and it flags them for review by a Champ.

It provides a simple check and balance system. A new editor that genuinely wants to improve the map isn't locked out of closing URs, but it gives the AMs/CM/Champs a way to keep tabs on newbies. Of course I don't know how much would go into implementing something like that.
ImageImageImage
Mississippi State Manager
Memphis, TN Area Manager
Cobb/Douglas County, GA Area Manager

Mississippi Wiki Page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Mississippi
bart99gt
State Manager
State Manager

Postby tonestertm » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:49 pm

First time a new user tries to close a UR, they get automatically redirected to the wiki, or get a popup containing a short warning about proper UR handling, a link to the wiki and a checkbox saying they've read it. Not perfect, but at least lets them know it exists. I just had another very small run here from a first-week editor.

Locking things wholesale would create an enormous workload for upper level editors, and emails for uncommented closures would create a tsunami of email for each AM of a given area, not to speak of areas which are AM-less. If you're going to do something like that, just make it so URs can't be closed without a comment.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Helgramite » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:54 pm

-
Last edited by Helgramite on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helgramite

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor