Should closing URs be limited to Rank 2+?

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Should closing URs be limited to Rank 2+?

Postby Yogi_v2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Helgramite wrote:My Master of the Obvious moment for Friday ... It would be easier to just NOT display URs to Level 1s. You cant close what you cannot see. Have the L2 upgrade require an AM check of your edits.

There ya go usin' yer noodle again.
Puttering along...
Yogi_v2
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby bart99gt » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:56 pm

Helgramite wrote:My Master of the Obvious moment for Friday ... It would be easier to just NOT display URs to Level 1s. You cant close what you cannot see. Have the L2 upgrade require an AM check of your edits.

I can't really think of a reason why a L1 shouldn't be allowed to close them at all. Even when I started editing, I would regularly submit URs myself as a reminder to go fix something when I got back to a computer.

I think just taking away the ability for a L1 to close a UR entirely without some kind of auditing until they've proven to be reliable is the way to go.
ImageImageImage
Mississippi State Manager
Memphis, TN Area Manager
Cobb/Douglas County, GA Area Manager

Mississippi Wiki Page https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Mississippi
bart99gt
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Fredo-p » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:46 pm

Then would it be possible to set up UR closures by L1 editors the same way Google Map Maker has theirs?
If a map edit on Map Maker is of importance, then the edit isn't fully approved. A message is given that reads "This edit will need to be verified by other editors".

In the case of Waze, when an L1 editor closes a UR, it isn't really closed. It's given a special icon or highlight that indicates a higher ranking editor must approve the closeout of the UR for it to be fully accepted.

Maybe, instead of having the option to save a UR as solved or not identified, an L1's option would be to select solved or not identified and the save button would read verify/approve. This would alert higher level editors that an L1 is requesting approval for their UR/MP edit.
Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager

Postby orbitc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:03 am

Fredo-p wrote:Then would it be possible to set up UR closures by L1 editors the same way Google Map Maker has theirs?
If a map edit on Map Maker is of importance, then the edit isn't fully approved. A message is given that reads "This edit will need to be verified by other editors".

In the case of Waze, when an L1 editor closes a UR, it isn't really closed. It's given a special icon or highlight that indicates a higher ranking editor must approve the closeout of the UR for it to be fully accepted.

Maybe, instead of having the option to save a UR as solved or not identified, an L1's option would be to select solved or not identified and the save button would read verify/approve. This would alert higher level editors that an L1 is requesting approval for their UR/MP edit.

I wish it was that simple. I like the idea but it's not practical. We have many URs and not enough editors to fix them. I've seen URs that are as old as 30+ days. Implementing that idea might make UR solving process even slower unfortunately.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby taco909 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:35 am

They need the exposure and ability to work them, limited as their abilities may be.
They also need the exposure to how higher level editors are handling them WRT canned messages, back and forth, ultimate resolution, etc...
-- Rich
ImageImageImageImage
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby orbitc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:38 am

Taco909 wrote:

They need the exposure and ability to work them, limited as their abilities may be.
They also need the exposure to how higher level editors are handling them WRT canned messages, back and forth, ultimate resolution, etc...

In addition to that, we have formal mentoring program where we help editors editing, solving URs and other map and community topic. Not to mention the accelerated promotions.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby DwarfLord » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:12 am

To me, asking an editor to build up 1000 editing points before they can close a UR just doesn't seem that terrible. There's plenty of other work for Rank 1 editors to do.

However, if there is general resistance to that restriction, what about the other option: allowing a closed UR to be re-opened during the time it still shows on the WME display?

If this step were implemented, a UR wipeout could be undone by anyone with editing access to the affected area, solving the main problem. It might also be easier for Waze to implement. In fact maybe all Waze has to do is remove whatever code currently prevents it?

If folks can get behind this concept, maybe we can pass that along to those among us who have "red telephones" and hope that it gathers support.

It just really hurts to see hundreds of URs, including many from sincere reporters who were honestly trying to contribute, deleted so that no other editor can pursue them.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby ctpoole » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:04 pm

mdavidsonjr wrote:It would be a lot better if they could reply to an email. We might get a lot more responses if this were an easier process then doing this through the app or the editor. Most people want things simple.

The requirement that you use the app to respond is probably the biggest reason for lack of response to information requests. Casual users of Waze are unfamiliar with using the app for more than routing and are lost by the complexity of how to respond.
Area Manager: Metropolitan Austin, TX
ImageImage
ctpoole
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Helgramite » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:11 pm

-
Last edited by Helgramite on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helgramite

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:37 pm

I feel your pain brother. It takes very few editors gaming the system to destroy the system.

What I'm not sure the Waze folks fully embrace is that it is not enough to attract new editors. They must attract and retain responsible editors. The environment you describe would be a recipe for burnout even if you were getting paid. I so wish that Waze would take a break from encouraging new editors and look for ways to encourage advancing editors by giving us better tools to protect the Waze system and better ways to detect and police the few who game it. There may not be many of them but they can have a terrible impact.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor