Off-ramp to interchange to on-ramp routing

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderator: Unholy

Off-ramp to interchange to on-ramp routing

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:13 pm

I often get update requests from drivers complaining that Waze is routing them off interstates and along exit ramps, through weigh stations and rest areas. Rest areas and weigh stations can be easily fixed by using a segment in the parking lot or weighing area of "parking lot" road type.

But for an segment like this, which is common, I wouldn't think this is advisable due to the sensitive nature of the interchange, and putting in a parking lot segment might cause Waze to avoid that interchange all together and send drivers exiting earlier or later.

So what is the recommended solution here?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Off-ramp to interchange to on-ramp routing

Postby TerryEasy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:26 pm

I don't think there is a lot we can do... My though is that with enough data got from drivers, this problem should fix by itself : Waze is always looking for the best way, and maybe it thinks that going off and on is quicker, for some dark reason (a mad driver at night :D)

It is also possible on some places that the routing server is not properly synced with Cartouche, and it sees a restriction at a junction. (I've had the case few days ago, it made me drive a long way for nothing, because there was a bad sync. I've solved it by disconnecting and reconnecting a road at the junction.)
Thus maybe start by doing it and try the make a route going through that point, to see if there's a change...
HTC Hero - Android 2.1
TerryEasy

Postby CBenson » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 pm

I have been getting a number of similar update request recently as well. In fact, waze routed me along the ramp under similar circumstances this morning. I wish I had a solution, but I do not.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0, Waze 3.9.9.907
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:12 pm

moesterry, I'm with you on thinking Waze should eventually figure it out from average segment speeds. I'm not positive it always does, though.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:14 pm

It's interesting that the ramp doesn't have a higher average speed than the freeway. Normally that's what causes it whenever I run into it. Short of lengthening the segment, it doesn't seem like there's a lot you can do.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks for looking, mapcat. This specific location came up because of an update request that was just under a year old. The segment average speeds may have normalized since then and Waze may not route that way any longer. Problem is, if I add a new rest area and the ramp segments have no average speed, waze will want to route someone that way just to get the data.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby TerryEasy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:27 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:moesterry, I'm with you on thinking Waze should eventually figure it out from average segment speeds. I'm not positive it always does, though.

:D
HTC Hero - Android 2.1
TerryEasy

Postby CBenson » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:31 pm

I have looked at a bunch of interchanges where this happens, such as the one I linked to above, and this one and the ramp speeds are never shown as being more than the highway speed. Of course the routing algorithm may well be using a different speed for the highway during the rush, especially when other wazers have passed through the interchange while in traffic.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0, Waze 3.9.9.907
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Good points, again. Makes me think that ramps should have higher penalty than freeway road type. But, I'm thinking of this more simply than the devs are, probably. I don't know all the drawbacks to adjusting a penalty like that...
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:57 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Good points, again. Makes me think that ramps should have higher penalty than freeway road type. But, I'm thinking of this more simply than the devs are, probably. I don't know all the drawbacks to adjusting a penalty like that...

The drawbacks probably outweigh the benefits, since they would probably have to penalize only some ramps, and it's not obvious which ones would need it. It seems like this would rarely cause problems for users, and I hope that replying to an update request with info about the routing algorithm/average speeds/data-gathering for potential alternate routes would reassure any users who do question it.

CBenson wrote:I have looked at a bunch of interchanges where this happens, such as the one I linked to above, and this one and the ramp speeds are never shown as being more than the highway speed.

Does this happen all the time?
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor