Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by Bait-Fish
Funny. I just had this happen last night and had my passenger put in an update request. Here is the permalink. We were headed NB on I-5 driving in the number 2 or 3 lane when I noticed Waze routing me off then back on (I usually drive with the nav muted). The update request in almost a mile past it, General Error "nav directed to exit and reenter fwy immediately." A couple months ago when I first started using Waze, it tried to do the same thing to me going Westbound on the 210 but I didn't get a report in and I forgot where it happened exactly.
Bait-Fish
Send a message

Post by Bait-Fish
Ah, very good. No mystery here then. I didn't have time to check earlier when I posted (our toddler demands much of my time). I was able to get that I-5 N and Oso Parkway junction connected. Immediately after that though I got a warning that someone else was editing in the area so I stopped poking around.
Bait-Fish
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I have been getting a number of similar update request recently as well. In fact, waze routed me along the ramp under similar circumstances this morning. I wish I had a solution, but I do not.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I have looked at a bunch of interchanges where this happens, such as the one I linked to above, and this one and the ramp speeds are never shown as being more than the highway speed. Of course the routing algorithm may well be using a different speed for the highway during the rush, especially when other wazers have passed through the interchange while in traffic.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
mapcat wrote:The drawbacks probably outweigh the benefits, since they would probably have to penalize only some ramps, and it's not obvious which ones would need it. It seems like this would rarely cause problems for users, and I hope that replying to an update request with info about the routing algorithm/average speeds/data-gathering for potential alternate routes would reassure any users who do question it.
I'm not so sure. It doesn't cause big problems, but its an aggravation that does not reflect well on the waze routing algorithm. When I'm promoting waze with friends, I'm never quite sure how to answer the question: "Does it work?" Now that the various routes from my home to work have been edited, waze seems to choose the best route based on the current traffic. However, since I can only take one route, I can't really say for sure.
When waze routes me off the highway and back on again I have been following the directions to see if they will correct. When I do this I can see the cars that are passing me. Thus, the only time I can actually verify whether waze's routing is giving me the better route, it is not. This does not reassure me.
mapcat wrote:Does this happen all the time?
It has only started routing me through the ramp here for the past week or so, but it has been consistent since it started. Before that waze kept me on the freeway. In other cases, I have been able to edit the map to make it stop. But for the example that Alan gave and the current problem I am having I don't see a good way to edit the map to make it stop.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
mapcat wrote:The drawbacks probably outweigh the benefits, since they would probably have to penalize only some ramps, and it's not obvious which ones would need it.
I'm not convinced the drawbacks would be significant either. Couldn't waze simply determine that if it wants to route between two nodes over a route that is entirely ramp segments and there is alternate route over entirely freeway segments thats not say more than a mile longer, then it shouldn't route over the ramp segments. I'm not sure what the drawback would be (other than additional processing complexity).
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The penalty for ramps would not have to be significant at all, but just enough so that if given a choice between a ramp segment and an freeway segment, and both have the same start/end point (not true in real life, but this is a simplified example), then the freeway segment wins.

1 freeway segment > 1 ramp segment, and certainly
1 freeway segment >> 4 ramp segments.
But how do you weigh 1 freeway segment with current traffic data showing a speed of 10 mph against 4 ramp segments with no current traffic data but an average speed of 60 mph. In other words if the penalty is such that 1 slow freeway segment > than 1 fast ramp segment would that create other problems?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree that this a problem that should eventually be addressed. As you say it may be illegal, its also amost always slower when it routes me off and right back on.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
mapcat wrote: From your response it seems that the only way you could stop it in the other cases was to edit the map--if so, what did you do that corrected it?
Waze has routed me this way in a couple of spots and I have responded to a few map update requests that complain about it. Most frequently, it routes down an off ramp, crosses the secondary road and routes right back up the opposite on ramp like here. In this case, I simply change the connectivity so that you can't route straight through the intersection.

If I remember correctly, at this interchange the off ramp and on ramp were edited to not pass through the same node to stop routing off and back on the BW Parkway.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by CBenson on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by CBenson
mapcat wrote:If it's only been doing this for a week, maybe it's temporary.
Just wanted to report that it is still doing this. Plus, there has been an update request noting the error. So there are other users that see this as an error.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message