Off-ramp to interchange to on-ramp routing

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Off-ramp to interchange to on-ramp routing

Postby CBenson » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:23 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote: I really can't fathom why Waze would want to route onto the ramps.

In my spot waze doesn't route that way on the live map when I check during the middle of the day or at night. Waze didn't previously route me over the ramps, but has recently been routing me over the ramps during my morning commute. Thus, I have been guessing that waze's calculations are taking into account the current traffic and that is causing waze to route over the ramps.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Talisker66 wrote:Look at the GPS-Tracks. Maybe the ramp and the road are too close together AND the GPS-Track is only slightly off the map AND since the Routing is now via the Ramp Waze does not recognize that you stay on the road and "allocates" the data to the road.

I concede this may be a possibility. With the link from my OP, I saw that the ramp is right on the edge of the mass of GPS tracks. There really were very few on the other side, so I doubt that is what was happening. The average segment speed for the ramps are 8-16 MPH below the main interstate. I really can't fathom why Waze would want to route onto the ramps. However, I have adjusted the ramp a little further away from I-5, but I do have my doubts that in my original case, this was the issue.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:45 pm

I'll take a look at my spot. Looking at the gps tracks and the location of the road on the map, I doubt the main traffic is being assigned to the ramp. However, I haven't driven the main road as I have been following the waze directions. I'll drive the main road and see what happens.
Last edited by CBenson on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Talisker66 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:33 pm

I would like to come back to my suggestion since I had the same Problem in my Area and it's now solved:

Look at the GPS-Tracks. Maybe the ramp and the road are too close together AND the GPS-Track is only slightly off the map AND since the Routing is now via the Ramp Waze does not recognize that you stay on the road and "allocates" the data to the road.

This was my observation: Everytime I stayed on the road Waze thought I used the off/on-ramps (at least this was what I saw on the client.
Only as I checked the GPS-Tracks and moved the Main Road more into the main GPS-Stream and increased the gap between the road and the ramp I've got this solved
Talisker66
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:58 pm

mapcat wrote:If it's only been doing this for a week, maybe it's temporary.

Just wanted to report that it is still doing this. Plus, there has been an update request noting the error. So there are other users that see this as an error.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:17 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
mapcat wrote:The main drawback I was thinking of was someone having to evaluate ramps individually and only assigning penalties under certain circumstances. I have no clue how the algorithm works, but it seemed that automatically giving all segments of one type precedence over all segments of another type could cause problems. Maybe only occasionally, but then the exit ramp routing problem is not occurring everywhere either.

Segments do already have a hierarchy of penalties. Parking Lot roads, for example, have a very high penalty.

True, but what about normal public roads (service roads, streets, etc on up to freeways)?
mapcat

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:55 pm

mapcat wrote:The main drawback I was thinking of was someone having to evaluate ramps individually and only assigning penalties under certain circumstances. I have no clue how the algorithm works, but it seemed that automatically giving all segments of one type precedence over all segments of another type could cause problems. Maybe only occasionally, but then the exit ramp routing problem is not occurring everywhere either.

Segments do already have a hierarchy of penalties. Parking Lot roads, for example, have a very high penalty.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gerben » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:52 pm

This afternoon I passed two interchanges like this, in both directions so 4 passes in total. 3 of those 4 passes, I was routed along the secondary lane. I need to say this happened during a part of the day when trucks are allowed to overtake, causing a lower speed on the main lane.
gerben

Postby CBenson » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:18 pm

mapcat wrote: From your response it seems that the only way you could stop it in the other cases was to edit the map--if so, what did you do that corrected it?

Waze has routed me this way in a couple of spots and I have responded to a few map update requests that complain about it. Most frequently, it routes down an off ramp, crosses the secondary road and routes right back up the opposite on ramp like here. In this case, I simply change the connectivity so that you can't route straight through the intersection.

If I remember correctly, at this interchange the off ramp and on ramp were edited to not pass through the same node to stop routing off and back on the BW Parkway.
Last edited by CBenson on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:39 pm

The main drawback I was thinking of was someone having to evaluate ramps individually and only assigning penalties under certain circumstances. I have no clue how the algorithm works, but it seemed that automatically giving all segments of one type precedence over all segments of another type could cause problems. Maybe only occasionally, but then the exit ramp routing problem is not occurring everywhere either.

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:In some jurisdictions, doing things like using on-off-ramps get around a traffic jam or using a parking lot as an intersection cut-off will get you a traffic violation if caught.

Using parking lots as shortcuts is illegal, sure, but using off-ramps? Seriously?

CBenson wrote:It has only started routing me through the ramp here for the past week or so, but it has been consistent since it started. Before that waze kept me on the freeway. In other cases, I have been able to edit the map to make it stop. But for the example that Alan gave and the current problem I am having I don't see a good way to edit the map to make it stop.

If it's only been doing this for a week, maybe it's temporary. From your response it seems that the only way you could stop it in the other cases was to edit the map--if so, what did you do that corrected it?

One other thought: do reports have any effect on routing? IOW, if people began regularly reporting anything--accidents, hazards, even police--along the freeway, would Waze start looking for alternatives?
mapcat

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor