The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by CBenson
I'll take a look at my spot. Looking at the gps tracks and the location of the road on the map, I doubt the main traffic is being assigned to the ramp. However, I haven't driven the main road as I have been following the waze directions. I'll drive the main road and see what happens.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by CBenson on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: I really can't fathom why Waze would want to route onto the ramps.
In my spot waze doesn't route that way on the live map when I check during the middle of the day or at night. Waze didn't previously route me over the ramps, but has recently been routing me over the ramps during my morning commute. Thus, I have been guessing that waze's calculations are taking into account the current traffic and that is causing waze to route over the ramps.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Talisker66 wrote:I would like to come back to my suggestion since I had the same Problem in my Area and it's now solved:

Look at the GPS-Tracks. Maybe the ramp and the road are too close together AND the GPS-Track is only slightly off the map AND since the Routing is now via the Ramp Waze does not recognize that you stay on the road and "allocates" the data to the road.

This was my observation: Everytime I stayed on the road Waze thought I used the off/on-ramps (at least this was what I saw on the client.
Only as I checked the GPS-Tracks and moved the Main Road more into the main GPS-Stream and increased the gap between the road and the ramp I've got this solved
Waze is still routing over the ramps at the location I have linked to above. When I stay on the highway, the car icon on the client map simply moves along the ramps following the recommmended route. I have edited the ramp and the highway to be further apart and the car icon still moves along the ramps when driving the highway.

Did you simply align the roads with the GPS tracks to solve the problem or did you separate the roads more than they really are? The roads at the intersection I travel seem fairly well aligned with the GPS tracks to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
moesterry wrote:Have you tried make a turn restriction for a few days, then routing along that point? With the turn restriction, navigation won't route you along the ramp. That way, when you go this road, it won't believe you are on the ramp and will be able to acquire a correct average speed on the segment.

I agree this is a very sad solution, but I think it's worth a try.
I have not. First, I'm not positive that the fact that car shows following the route over the ramp on the client means that the speed data is being assigned to the ramp. (I rather suspect the opposite - that the processing on the server is independent of what route was being followed.) Second, I am unwilling to break routing for those that are actually using the ramps to exit the highway.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I have not either.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
alexthelion wrote:But not only I find people driving this way very asocial, it also asked me to leave the main motorway to for the ramp on lots of occasion at night while I'm alone or as such on the road...
As far as I can remember I didn't experience this behaviour in the past and this started a couple of months ago.
I really think there are a number seperate issues here.
First, make sure that you do not have "avoid highways" or "prefer cookie munching" set in your routing preferences. These setting can cause some unexpected routing choices such as routing over ramps at some times.
Second in areas where there is not a lot of speed data and the roads have not been reviewed and corrected by competent editors it is my experience that the waze algorthm is much more likely to provide questionable routes such as routing on and off the highway. This, however, corrects when the highways have sufficient speed data and the connections are checked and corrected in the map editor.
Third, (which is the circumstance I have) the waze algorthm routes on the highway at night or the middle of the day, but when traffic is present routes over the ramps even though the ramps are not faster.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
How dissappointing. Given how beautiful the Dutch map looks, I'm concerned to hear that the waze routing using such a mature map is not reliable.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Talisker66 wrote:Yeas, I actually separated the roads more than they really are. If I look at the GPS-Tracks you can easily move the ramps more to the north and they still will align with the tracks.
In addition you could move the node at the beginning of the ramp more to the east. This indicates the aerial to me.

Regards
Talisker66
I have taken this advice and moved the ramps north and the beginning node east. On my first route through this area after these changes made it to the client, I was routed on the highway.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gerben
This afternoon I passed two interchanges like this, in both directions so 4 passes in total. 3 of those 4 passes, I was routed along the secondary lane. I need to say this happened during a part of the day when trucks are allowed to overtake, causing a lower speed on the main lane.
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by gerben
I recieved many update requests last week because people were routed along the parallel lane on clover leaf interchanges in stead of along the main lane. This happened even at night. Average speeds and GPS tracks alignment are fine.

The strange thing is that routing along the parallel lane, there are at lease 2 extra nodes, which cause a penalty of 5 seconds each during route calculation. I cannot think of any reason for this routing to happen other than average speed during rush hour, but then what explains the routing during the night when the difference in speeds can be up to 40 km/h in favour of the main lane...
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png