The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Areas and subdivisions?

Post by twoticketstoparadise
Hi all,

Is there a suggested norm for using or not using "areas" to define subdivisions? I did not find anything specific on the wiki to subdivisions and recently some subdivision areas popped up in my area. My county is made almost entirely out of subdivisions, so having areas for each would make it quite busy.

Your thoughts are appreciated... and if there is a consensus and update to the wiki areas page would be good too.

Thanks!
twoticketstoparadise

POSTER_ID:16962098

Send a message

Post by CBenson
Are you saying that Hampton Park and Ashbrook are currently showing on the map?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by Fredo-p
I don't think subdivisions should be given an area place. It is unnecessary and clutters the map. There is no good use to map that.

As stated from the Places wiki:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places
Area Places (formerly called Landmarks) serve all the functions of Point Places while providing additional visual orientation cues on the user's client display. Because of their increased visibility and the resulting potential for map clutter, Area Places are easily overused. In principle, if a location is not distinctive and significant enough to orient drivers, it should not be marked with an Area Place.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
twoticketstoparadise wrote:...recently some subdivision areas popped up in my area....
You may want to get in contact with your areas Local Champ or rank 5+ editor so they can get a hold of the editor that made it and educate them on the proper use of places - area.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by jemay
"subdivisions" should not be mapped as areas or places, everything in there will have an address that people will navigate by.
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by twoticketstoparadise
Thanks for the comments. There isn't an area manager for this area. Any rank 5's care to volunteer to educate?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-77.57 ... 572&zoom=5

One area is called Hampton Park (not really a "park") the other is called Ashbrook

Thanks!
twoticketstoparadise
Send a message

twoticketstoparadise
Send a message