Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by taco909
Bumping this one for a new question.
In light of the revised BC, is there any functional difference between these two junctions?
bctest.jpg
(144.84 KiB) Downloaded 609 times
Every now and then I'll work a UR where someone did not get a "turn" instruction at the end of a block.
I always assumed it was BC squelching the instruction since there is only one way to go, but in some cases, such as a "square" block with a single entrance from the feeder, or worse when the roads zig-zag as is not uncommon in the hills, it can be confusing with no turn instructions once inside.

I recently considered that the lack of instruction MAY be the lack of a 46+ degree junction angle.
The app doesn't resolve to this detail anyways, so removal of the extra geonodes is of course a good thing... but will "cleaning up" these corners in neighborhoods result in a change in turn instructions without a "stub" to nowhere?

(I only used two geonodes to smooth the transition for simplicity, in actuality on the map, 4 and sometimes 6-8 are used to make it a smooth curve so the angle at the actual junction node is frequently nearly 180)
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
PesachZ wrote:both of your examples will NOT have any instruction. Because the junction only cosists of 2 segments, there is no other option restricted or otherwise period, and therefore Waze considers this the ultimate BC. If there are ONLY 2 segments connected at a junction, there will be no instruction ever, regardless of name, type, angle, etc.. However this does not apply if there more than to segments connected, but only one of them has a green arrow.
This is not new, this is by design to prevent unnecessary instructions, and has always been the case. See step 1 in the Algorithms list of conditions.
Thanks. That is what I suspected but wanted to be sure.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
t0cableguy wrote:unless things have changed with these i have had turn rights and lefts instructed in the past when they were set at right angles. curving them into straights junctions has supressed the instructions for me.
I would of course expect suppression if the junction is less than 45 degrees.

I'm not surprised at the lack of instruction on the 90s, as I have worked URs on that, but IMHO, it can be very confusing, where you make your turn, and Waze says "In 2.5 miles, turn left on West St",
but in the next 2.5 miles, you have three 90 degree turns onto different named roads.
In some cases, these junctions MAY be at an unmapped driveway or dirt farm road. Unless the driver looks at the app, they may miss the turn.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
PesachZ wrote:I'd love to see an example of a junction of any angle, with ONLY two connected segments, giving a turn instruction. Please provide a PL.
I wasn't disagreeing, as I said, I've worked URs on 90s (and in some cases added a PVT road that I normally would not map.
I didn't know if there had been a change with the new BC routines, as I have not seen such a UR on a 90 in the last month or so.... they have all been at physical 90s that were radiused on the map.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich