[NEW] Best Continuation algorithm has been changed

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: [NEW] Best Continuation algorithm has been changed

Postby PesachZ » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:10 pm

chewdaniel wrote:hmm... this 1 doesn't work anymore
the KR segment used to work until yesterday or so when it stopped working. the KL segment is still working...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... =104262344

We looked at this together overnight, and have not found any the issues seen in the other Wayfinders with alt names, but there are done theories related to the MH type and elevation differences we have to test to confirm. These are also the first Wayfinders in the ROW server mentioned, we'll keep posted on these.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby FzNk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Other broken directions (already fixed by PesachZ):

I-405 N to I-5 N ramp:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-122.67790&lat=45.54199&layers=1957&zoom=8

Continuing on N Interstate Ave SB:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-122.67470&lat=45.53725&layers=1957&zoom=10

With so many alt names on highways & freeways here in Oregon, I have a feeling that I've only scratched the surface.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta
FzNk
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:21 pm

I do agree that best continuation algorithm has changed, but I do not think it was purposeful, rather an unintended consequence of fixing a feature of detour prevention. I have not seen any confirmation from Waze HQ that this was intended. Therefore, I believe the posted guidance here may be premature.

If someone has confirmation from Waze that this is now working as designed and segment name in Alt only (not city also) is used for best continuation calculations, then I rescind my concerns.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby Shaq23 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:43 am

Here is another Broken WF, the right stub towards US-1 N / US-9 N, has matching alt naming to the S-in.
"with so many Waze, why settle for less?"
[ img ][ img ]
Shaq23

Postby dckj » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:04 am

@shaq23 @pesachz

guys, thanks for your time yesterday. however, a recent finding by a fellow editor L5 @Krixera has ruled out the elevation theory...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... =104405543
State Manager - Selangor | WP Kuala Lumpur | WP Putrajaya

Click here to join our Waze Malaysia community!
dckj
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby qwaletee » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:29 am

Shaq,

The left hand ramp has no alt names, the right hand stub ramp and s-in have many alts (see below). These matching alts are what's causing the problem. I don't see any reason why a stub ramp in a wayfinder ever needs to have alt names, the only purpose of the stub ramp is to temporarily change name, so I'm going ahead and removing the stub ramp's alt names.

Note that this WF doesn't follow current guidance. It is a left exit, for which the standard is to use an unnamed highway stub at the start of the left exit, and a "changed name" highway stub after the fork for the right continuation. This works better visually (no breaks in the highway) and possibly for routing. Nevertheless, while not standards compliant, this WF should work with the alts removed. If you convert it per standard, just make sure the left stub also has no alts.

Right hand ramp:
US-9, No city
Tonnelle Ave, North Bergen
US-1 N, North Bergen
US-9 N, North Bergen
US-1, No city
US-1 N / US-9 N, No city
Tonnelle Ave, No city

S-in:
Tonnelle Ave, No city
US-1 N / US-9 N, No city
US-9, No city
US-1 N, North Bergen
US-9 N, North Bergen
US-1, No city

The above is the list of alts. As you can see, someone went a little crazy with them. We don't need both named and unnamed, and we don't need both the individual route numbers (US-1 N, US-9 N) and the combo (US-1 N / US-9 N). There's also no need for the No City versions unless it contributes to detour avoidance, in which case there's probably some other way to name match that would work anyway. This problem of overboarding on the alts seems common on the 1/9, though some of it is legit.
Last edited by qwaletee on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby Shaq23 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:36 am

chewdaniel wrote:@shaq23 @pesachz

guys, thanks for your time yesterday. however, a recent finding by a fellow editor L5 @Krixera has ruled out the elevation theory...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... =104405543

This broken WF has to do with one S-out having a matching alt name to the S-in.

However, the one you posted originally, does NOT have an alt name matching the S-in, which is the root of this new routing issue. We will be running thorough testing (as discussed), to try and see what has triggered this WF to stop working correctly. Keep in mind that we are running on different routing servers (NA,ROW), which may have different affects.
[ img ][ img ]
Shaq23

Postby Shaq23 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:54 am

qwaletee wrote:Shaq,

The left hand ramp has no alt names, the right hand stub ramp and s-in have many alts (see below). These matching alts are what's causing the problem. I don't see any reason why a stub ramp in a wayfinder ever needs to have alt names, the only purpose of the stub ramp is to temporarily change name, so I'm going ahead and removing the stub ramp's alt names.

Note that this WF doesn't follow current guidance. It is a left exit, for which the standard is to use an unnamed highway stub at the start of the left exit, and a "changed name" highway stub after the fork for the right continuation. This works better visually (no breaks in the highway) and possibly for routing. Nevertheless, while not standards compliant, this WF should work with the alts removed. If you convert it per standard, just make sure the left stub also has no alts.

Right hand ramp:
US-9, No city
Tonnelle Ave, North Bergen
US-1 N, North Bergen
US-9 N, North Bergen
US-1, No city
US-1 N / US-9 N, No city
Tonnelle Ave, No city

S-in:
Tonnelle Ave, No city
US-1 N / US-9 N, No city
US-9, No city
US-1 N, North Bergen
US-9 N, North Bergen
US-1, No city

The above is the list of alts. As you can see, someone went a little crazy with them. We don't need both named and unnamed, and we don't need both the individual route numbers (US-1 N, US-9 N) and the combo (US-1 N / US-9 N). There's also no need for the No City versions unless it contributes to detour avoidance, in which case there's probably some other way to name match that would work anyway. This problem of overboarding on the alts seems common on the 1/9, though some of it is legit.

Yes, The alt name match on the right stub is what caused the "no instruction" issue. However, I Posted it in this thread, so the ones testing the extent of the new change, can learn from it. Regarding the set up of the Wayfinder, Your right, this should be set as a Left Exit.
[ img ][ img ]
Shaq23

Postby taco909 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 am

Just some random information:
I am getting a "turn right to Colorado" instruction here (only way to go)
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=66735429

I do not know if this would have given an instruction 2 weeks ago.

I do not get a "stay to the left" instruction here (and never have) from SB Colorado merging onto Huntington:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=63730914
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby PesachZ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:02 am

Taco909 wrote:Just some random information:
I am getting a "turn right to Colorado" instruction here (only way to go)
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=66735429

I do not know if this would have given an instruction 2 weeks ago.

I do not get a "stay to the left" instruction here (and never have) from SB Colorado merging onto Huntington:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=63730914

Short answer: Both of these are acting according to plan, and have not been affected by the new changes. what you describe is the expected behavior.

Explanation:
The first turn instruction you mention is 60° (which is above the 45° threshold), and although it is the only legal option, it is not the only option, hence the turn instruction.

The second one is 18° (under the 45° threshold for turn vs. stay) and therefore only checks for other options which are both legal and also less than 45°, here there is only one legal option less than 45°, and so there's no calculated need for an instruction according to the algorithm.

If you're ever not sure what instruction (if any) is expected at any specific junction, you can find out by answering a series of yes or no questions here. If something is not acting according to what that page says it should do, then it may have been affected by these changes.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor