[NEW] Best Continuation algorithm has been changed

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: [NEW] Best Continuation algorithm has been changed

Postby t0cableguy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:18 am

left turn from havendale to magnolia in auburndale does not prompt at all anymore. showing several continues.

also the keep left on 98 (which has an exit sign) is showing "continue" in route checker

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=62148638
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@
t0cableguy

Postby PesachZ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:31 am

t0cableguy wrote:left turn from havendale to magnolia in auburndale does not prompt at all anymore. showing several continues.

also the keep left on 98 (which has an exit sign) is showing "continue" in route checker

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=62148638

This is indeed caused by these changes. However I will hold off from fixing pending a response from Waze, due to what Alanoftheberg has mentioned.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby taco909 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:15 am

That's good.
Like I said, I didn't know if the Glendale merge instructed a turn last week or not. I knew the Arcadia intersection was unaffected.

And honestly, the Glendale intersection was a bit confusing, even though I am familiar with the area.
I was getting "Turn right to Colorado" instructions long before the immediately previous junction which would be a "Turn right to San Fernando"... but I can see someone unfamiliar with the area making that right.
I'll bump that to Tony and see if he thinks it's justified to open that angle up to 44, as it really is a natural turn.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby PesachZ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:27 am

Taco909 wrote:That's good.
Like I said, I didn't know if the Glendale merge instructed a turn last week or not. I knew the Arcadia intersection was unaffected.

And honestly, the Glendale intersection was a bit confusing, even though I am familiar with the area.
I was getting "Turn right to Colorado" instructions long before the immediately previous junction which would be a "Turn right to San Fernando"... but I can see someone unfamiliar with the area making that right.
I'll bump that to Tony and see if he thinks it's justified to open that angle up to 44, as it really is a natural turn.

If you do decide to change it, don't use 44° try to stay away from the threshold, so use something less than 35°.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:50 am

Based on the last post I read from Waze a few moments ago, it appears they plan to go forward and not back out this change.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby PesachZ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Based on the last post I read from Waze a few moments ago, it appears they plan to go forward and not back out this change.

Be that as it may, I'll keep my sentiments to myself. Did they give any indication of wether they'll provide us with any details on how these changes work?
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:05 am

We did more testing, thanks to all the examples we've been getting, and ideas of things to look for. Here are the conclusions from the latest batch of tests.

• An match involving an alternate name can work even if the OUT segments didn't have a primary name.
  • There must be a primary name on the IN segment for an alternate name to be considered for a match.
  • EDIT: A cross match can be considered though even without a primary name in the IN segment.
  • A type match alone never trumps a name match.
  • If all three segments have the same primary name, additional alt or cross (primary <> alt) matches on one side do not create a Best Continuation. Both sides get instructions.
  • Preliminary results don't support the theories presented by the Malaysian editor about elevation, MH, or turn angles playing a role here.

More tests should be live tomorrow
Last edited by PesachZ on Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby taco909 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:08 am

PesachZ wrote:If you do decide to change it, don't use 44° try to stay away from the threshold, so use something less than 35°.

Of course. Even for the dogleg on an at-grade, I'll pull it to the full 90, and for a "stay" instruction, depending on the road geometry, I'm comfortable with 20-25.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby PesachZ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:53 am

Today's tests resulted showed

A cross match didn't require a primary name on the IN segments.

So to summarize

A cross match can be considered if;
There is any alt on both segments,
It didn't matter if either of those segments have primary names.

An alt match can be considered only if s-in has a primary name, regardless of if s-out has a primary name.

Unfortunately the rest of the tests didn't make the deadline for this tile build. Tomorrow maybe, hopefully.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby bz2012 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:57 pm

I am interested in what the new 'decision chart' will look like, so i can modify mine. :)

It sure would be nice if WAZE would share this stuff with us so we don't have to reverse engineer it ourselves. :!:
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor