[NEW] Best Continuation algorithm has been changed

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: [NEW] Best Continuation algorithm has been changed

Postby t0cableguy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:14 am

unless things have changed with these i have had turn rights and lefts instructed in the past when they were set at right angles. curving them into straights junctions has supressed the instructions for me.
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@
t0cableguy

Postby taco909 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 am

Just some random information:
I am getting a "turn right to Colorado" instruction here (only way to go)
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=66735429

I do not know if this would have given an instruction 2 weeks ago.

I do not get a "stay to the left" instruction here (and never have) from SB Colorado merging onto Huntington:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=63730914
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:15 am

That's good.
Like I said, I didn't know if the Glendale merge instructed a turn last week or not. I knew the Arcadia intersection was unaffected.

And honestly, the Glendale intersection was a bit confusing, even though I am familiar with the area.
I was getting "Turn right to Colorado" instructions long before the immediately previous junction which would be a "Turn right to San Fernando"... but I can see someone unfamiliar with the area making that right.
I'll bump that to Tony and see if he thinks it's justified to open that angle up to 44, as it really is a natural turn.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:08 am

PesachZ wrote:If you do decide to change it, don't use 44° try to stay away from the threshold, so use something less than 35°.

Of course. Even for the dogleg on an at-grade, I'll pull it to the full 90, and for a "stay" instruction, depending on the road geometry, I'm comfortable with 20-25.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Therefore, for a frontage road with the same name as the MH/mH, properly configured as "Street" or "Primary", the MH/mH type would produce the match and one would only receive "Stay to the right" if the route required use of the frontage road and there would be no "Stay to the left" instruction.

IE: Main St Minor Highway, with Main St Primary at a 30 degree junction then parallel for 2 miles before rejoining.

Hypothetical: Main St Major Highway. Reaches a 5-points junction with First and Division.
First is a 40 degree right off of Main. Division is straight through. Main continues as a MH 40 degrees to the left (inverted peace sign). First and Division are both Primary.

Both the name and type match would dictate that BC is to the left, but:
First would be "Stay to the right"
What would be the instruction for Division?
Wayfinder to force "Stay to the left to Main"... but with the type matching, we would still need a stub downgraded to minor, or if there is no name match is the type match ignored?
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:04 am

PesachZ wrote:In your first example with a frontage road, if I'm understanding correctly, will end up with a split that is;
IN: mH Main St
OUT 15°right: mH Main St
OUT 15°left: PS/Street Main St
In this setup continuing on the mH to the left will give no instruction, taking the frontage will give an "exit right" instruction. If you want to force an instruction to both sides you will need a 5 meter mH wayfinder stub as the beginning of the frontage road, so both sides become an equal name+type match, and will then both get an instruction.

That is what I figured, so no changes from the way it always has been.

Your second example is more problematic as it is a 3-way split, which should always try to be avoided. One problem with a 3-way split is that the middle road gets a keep right instruction if it gets an instruction.

That was kinda' meant to be a curve ball (no pun intended), but I was curious if there was a better way to handle it without wayfinders... seems not. I suspect that this is thankfully somewhat rare, and normally the middle road would be the same name.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:12 am

Okay... back to example A just to confirm....
Being a mH with less than 45 degrees, it will instruct "exit right" when the side road is a "street"
Is a "stay" instruction is desired, the appropriate fix would be to add a 5m stub of mH onto the street and leave it unnamed, thus forcing BC to stick to the left, and the instruction to be "Stay to the right to Main St"
Correct?

I have an "exit" that I need to fix.. I overlooked mH generating exits (and honestly, getting exits on most MH in my area is annoying)
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:17 am

PesachZ wrote:Alternatively changing it to a "turn" instruction also eliminates the "exit".

Agreed... and in the case I was working on, perhaps "turn" would not add confusion, but we have a LOT of freeway onramps (and regular junctions) where "Stay to the right" is appropriate, but they are MH/mH roads according to California FC.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 605&zoom=7
Stay would perhaps be more appropriate for the upper ramp with the right lane being turn-only (I see it is set to "turn").
Stay could be questioned on the lower ramp, but it really is a shallow angle and looks more natural from the street than it does from the aerial.

IMHO, if there are traffic signals and driveways on the road that I'm on, I should not be getting an "exit" instruction. This is more common than not in heavily urbanized and suburban areas.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 605&zoom=6
Both upper ramps are going to generate "Exit"... This is a numbered California State Highway... with sidewalks and bicycles and driveways (my dentist is on this street) on-street parking, etc.... All of the indications of being "Main St USA" with a 40m median that is used as a series of local parks, and they even run a classic car show on the median.
The road by no means deserves an "exit" instruction (if for no other reason than there are no exit signs ;) )

It would be very nice if we had a way to specify the instruction (at least on MH/mH, Freeway is pretty absolute for "exit") without having to fudge a wayfinder.

I don't see an easy way to do it automatically. In my area, it would be easy to say "If the turn is less than 45 and the outgoing segment is not "ramp" then use "Stay"... but that's not going to work for rural highways that are posted with "exit" signs.

Now this guy here:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... ts=4717076
BC would be to the left, but the name changes.
Mismatched type is to the right, but the name remains the same.
Is this going to produce "Exit right to Turnbull Canyon"?

turnbull.jpg
(107.61 KiB) Downloaded 739 times

And maybe this is a better topic for a split-off thread.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:02 pm

PesachZ wrote:I don't want to go too far off topic, but I don't think it's a good idea to start making wayfinder stubs just to change an instruction from exit to stay. They will be ankle to be controlled when the junction box aka big junction becomes available.

Anxiously awaiting this. Is it live on Beta yet?
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby taco909 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:09 am

Similar situation locally where SR57 and SR60 join in a canyon, then split a mile further up.
Under the old rules, motorists would get a "Stay to the Left/Right" no matter which highway they needed to use to leave the canyon. I picked up a UR complaining that they no longer got that. Ottonomy found that it was matching alternates that had eliminated the instruction and fixed it.
-- Rich
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor