Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by dmcrandall
Fredo-p wrote:Is anyone experiencing saves hanging on the NA server? I've been able to save just fine up until an hour ago (11:32 PST).

The saves are applied but I have to refresh the browser to get WME working again.
This has been an ongoing problem for me for about 24 hours now. Sometimes the screen will refresh, and sometimes it hangs, and I have to reload the page. This has happened on two different computers (the second one doesn't have any scripts installed).
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
"This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok." -Matthew Quigley

US Country Manager (In between deliveries)

Post by dmcrandall
DwarfLord wrote:BUG? Can Rank-1 editors change Rank-3 locked Places by approving submissions???
Not that I've found. I encountered the opposite. A Lvl 3 editor created a Area Place, and snapped the corners to the road segments. I tried to move it back to fence line, but he had locked the area at 3, so my edits went in as "suggestions" to be approved by an appropriate level editor.

It would appear that a Lvl 3 editor looked at the picture, approved it, and didn't notice the name change.
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by dmcrandall
ohad-ron wrote:No more green fog ;)
You've just "made the weekend" of several hundred editors.

Great Work! :D
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by DMZamora
I have countrywide rights, but now I can only edit the small map area first loaded when WME opens.

And trying to save a permalink gets me right back to that very same area...

Big, big bugs :D
DMZamora
Experts
Experts
Send a message
Last edited by DMZamora on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by DwarfLord
elljay23 wrote:This one's about 200m away - the picture is attached to the car park lower right - the sign is located by the blue circle!
Seems like a good argument for limiting the mapping of car parks to general-purpose parking for the general public as suggested by the Parking-Lot Area Place guidelines. A sprinkling of dedicated/private parking here and there at office parks or suburban shopping districts may just turn into magnets for photos that have nothing to do with the car parks themselves.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
nzahn1 wrote:I happen to agree about random parking lots attracting Photos. However, us Americans would never dictate terms to our estranged British brothers.
I can't even seem to dictate terms to a brother editor forty-five minutes away in San Jose!

Still, the Places and Parking-Lot Places guidelines were written and offered as an international baseline. In particular the Parking-Lot Places guidelines incorporated much feedback from a dutch editor. Each country of course has complete freedom to modify or build on these guidelines for its own purposes, but whether the UK has done so I do not know.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
FEATURE SUGGESTION: When an editor is reviewing a photo, allow the editor to rotate the photo!

Or, should we accept upside-down photographs, then delete them? Or leave them until something better comes along? Or just say what the heck and leave them indefinitely?

I just started to explore the new Places photo capability and already maybe 1 out of 10 photos I've inspected has been upside down.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Regarding incorrect information on Places: it may be time to take the locking of Places, especially very large Area Places, more seriously than in the past.

I'm not sure how it's done elsewhere, but in my area many significant Area Places, including large parks, have historically been locked at 1. Well, this morning I found that the data for a very large public park had changed to suggest that it was now a commercial gym. It had the name of the gym and the photo of the gym building (which is not on the park property). The park's real name was lost, I had to search for it to restore the Area Place's data.

Probably a Waze user wasn't thinking very hard when submitting info for the gym, and a Waze editor wasn't thinking very hard when approving it. That happens. But when it happens to very large area places it's like printing a banner on the map saying "we are clueless".

So, with heavy sighs, I'd urge that we adopt a practice of locking large and/or significant area places at 3 or above.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Fredo-p wrote:The practice to lock important areas to a higher level is practiced. I'm not sure which states follow this, but many Airports, military installations, and important locations are locked with this mentality of what you stated in mind.

However, I do believe that a national consensus on important area lock levels should be established, if one isn't already in place. If so, please direct us to the location of this information.
I'm not aware of any explicit guidance or consensus on locking Area Places, or indeed Places in general.

In the past, I thought Place locks should align with how much effort went into creating them. For example, if an editor worked very hard to get the boundaries of a park exactly right, that was worth locking at a high level. Meanwhile, Area Places with more approximate boundaries could be locked at 1 to allow entry-level editors to improve them. This worked really well in our area.

But now, the new system can unwittingly encourage users and entry-level editors to alter the name of big area places. That's just not cricket! It is an awful shame to move editing of such areas beyond the reach of entry-level editors, but the new system puts these Places at risk in a way they never were before.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Fredo-p wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Fredo-p wrote:When you come across a user submitted place, and can see that it is attached to an area, create the missing place/area and ensure save it exactly as the submission is named. Once this is done you can approve the submission and it will attach to the newly created POI/area.
Very curious indeed. I'd have thought that the venue ID in the database would be part of the update submission from the user.
Yeah, I figured this out by mistake. I found that one submission was attached to a shopping center area, but was actually an image of a store in that shopping center. What they must have done was see the shopping center in the list, but not create a new point for the store.

So I thought, what if I created a POI, and see if it would somehow identify it and attach to it instead. It worked the first time but I thought it was a fluke. I did it again earlier tonight and it worked. I don't know if the system should be allowing that. So I thought I'd bring it up to help, but to also allow for this to be investigated. Honestly, I like this ability. It allows for the submitted info to be accepted and not rejected.
I replicated this for the situation of creating a brand new Point Place that would absorb the user's submission instead of corrupting an existing Place. Interestingly, when I OK'd the new submission, it was MY Point Place that was labeled as "suggested" and the user submission that was original. It was like the user had created the original Point Place and working in WME I had submitted a change for moderation.

Unfortunately this technique can't help work around the lack of merge capability. When a user submits a duplicate Place for review, the WME refuses to allow an existing Place to be renamed to match the new submission, throwing the dreaded "An error occurred while saving - Please try again". SIgh.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message