The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

WME update: Editors, read about Places updates

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The next version of WME is out. Editors should read an familiarize yourselves with the documentation and guidance posted in the Places wiki page. Specifically, the sections about photos and whether to "Accept or Reject?" a Place update sent from a driver in the app.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bz2012 wrote:In this area, I see someone has been busy posting pictures of houses.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 492&zoom=1
There does NOT seem to be any OTHER information showing along with these pictures.

It is not clear to me, from the WIKI, what should be done about these. They might be useful, if they had addresses attached, as a method of overriding Google Maps poor location data on these houses but the author has not included any such information.

I don't see any communications channel, with which to contact the person posting these 'places', so that I can ask for more information.

What are we supposed to do?
The decision to remove the Residence/Home category and implement this Private/Public functionality was made late in the cycle and didn't receive enough testing. Clearly, it is has several bugs to work out. I would leave these alone for now. Private/Residence should only have a street and house number associated with the picture. We will never know who submitted them as that is regarded as private.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
BUG: The updated Point Place marker with the white border did not migrate to the production environment. This photo, from the wiki, taken in the beta editor, shows how the point Place markers should be displayed as it greatly enhances visibility.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/images/6/60/ ... points.png
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bz2012 wrote:It would be nice if, like a UR, there were a way to tell the person posting them that they need to modify these so as to include the house number and street name.
If I could do that, even if I had to 'approve them' in order for the author to make the mod, I could give them 7 days (provided URO+ is modified a bit, probably) and delete any that failed to be properly updated.
Right now, due to changes, I don't know if we can say for certain they didn't submit a house number. It would be nice to be able to communicate over these just like URs.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
elliottp wrote:@AlanOfTheBerg, I updated the wiki to include detailed descriptions of each of the services for editors' information. Please review if you have time. Especially of note is the "Deliveries" service which is unclear to me. Does this mean a places accepts or makes deliveries? If the latter is the intent, it may be more clear to say "Delivers".

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Places#Services
I appreciate the update. Though I think some of the descriptions are unnecessary. :) I think most people understand what "credit cards" and "air conditioning" are.

Deliveries means "makes deliveries to you."

Missing: Take-out and Wheelchair accessible. (missing from WME but are in the app)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bz2012 wrote:I finally found one WITH a house number.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 492&zoom=0

Strangely, it is ONLY visible at zoom=0.
When I zoom in any, it disappears.
These are odd. The disappearing thing is unsettling and strange behavior. This one was added during testing.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:Then I found this weirdness with all sorts of errors, suggested by Sketch, so I left it alone:
I don't see anything like that anymore. I believe it was left over from testing (Sept 24) when app and editor were not aligned on fields.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
levin wrote:What about pictures which include faces, car number plates, etc.?
Do we approve them or is it a privacy issue? Will there be any automatic blurring for these?
If it isn't allowed in your country, delete. In general, photos should not show them. The places wiki page has this guidance.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
levin wrote:I couldn't find it in the Wiki. All it says in this regard is "Any improper or inappropriate photos should be removed." - But what makes a photo improper?
The whole "Determining Acceptable Photos" section tries to address the general good/bad photo situation. However, there will need to be localized guidance added by country or region.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
theemike wrote:My understanding is that the picture and label of "residence" is supposed to help Waze fine tune the mapping. The problem I have is approving a picture without an address (residential) as it really serves no purpose. I read in the wiki that if "most" of the information is correct, then approve it. If it is just a picture and no other info, is it worth having it take up data?
I agree with your assessment. There isn't a point to a residential place with no address, and it needs to be a full address.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message