Alternate Names and Detour Prevention

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Alternate Names and Detour Prevention

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:59 pm

I've had to resort to removing alternate names on Wayfinder segments, but that's mostly just to get wayfinders to announce due to this poorly thought-out change to detour prevention.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:13 pm

CBenson wrote:I'm not sure that this is a change to the detour prevention. They told us back in January that alternate names would be taken into account for the detour prevention. We will need to consider how any changes that we make to get the routing to work will effect the "keep" and "exit" instructions due to the recent changes regarding how alternate names effect when instruction are given.

We did know that, yes. They just implemented it (actually fixed a bug) recently which put it into Place. However, the side effect was they also apparently use the same code to determine best continuation. So if an alt name carries to one branch of a freeway that used to give a "stay to the right" command, that instruction is no longer given. We have to remove the alt name to get the instruction. I don't see why the navigation instruction could not be determined independently from detour prevention.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:42 pm

CBenson wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:They just implemented it (actually fixed a bug) recently which put it into Place.

Does anyone know if this bug fix changed the how primary name continuity is determined?

I cannot say with certainty, but it seems that the change was mostly about considering alt names.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby bgodette » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:07 pm

US-17 shouldn't be on the freeway segments crossing Winchester. Additionally Winchester should likely not have that intermediate node and type change between the ramps. US-17 enters and leaves the concurrency with I-66 using the ramps, the BUS route begins/ends at the north ramps.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:43 pm

CBenson wrote:Ok. But none of that should solve the routing issue should it? You will still be leaving a freeway/highway segment with an alternate name of US-17 and returning to a freeway/highway segment with an alternate name of US-17, which the waze routing will penalize, correct?
Not if you remove US-17 from the crossing freeway segments. LDP won't see a continuation of US-17 (alternate name matching) from staying on I-66.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Poncewattle wrote:The problem is back. I would have thought that last edit would have also fixed it because technically it wasn't detouring away from US-17 any longer, just hopping from where it stopped to where it started again.

I'll put the alt name back before 6pm (2200 UTC) unless I hear otherwise.
Interesting. I wouldn't have expected that because what happens when you have two concurrent Interstates that diverge at some point and you use ramps with path-finder names? Perhaps the type change rules are affecting it here in this case.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:14 pm

brandonrossl wrote:CBenson directed me here, so here's another possible example/area to play with:
https://www.waze.com/livemap?lon=-76.60 ... n=-76.6093
This is identical to the issue in the OP. The current solution would be to add US-460 as an alt name to the three off-ramp segments and one on-ramp.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:45 am

brandonrossl wrote:This feels like a bug that could be solved in routing logic that would treat all ramps the same as their 'feeding' road type instead of re-creating what an intersection node does already.
That would likely break way-finders.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:10 pm

brandonrossl wrote:
bgodette wrote:
brandonrossl wrote:This feels like a bug that could be solved in routing logic that would treat all ramps the same as their 'feeding' road type instead of re-creating what an intersection node does already.
That would likely break way-finders.

Shouldn't affect naming, would only be for routing. Would make sure that wayfinders aren't affecting routing (which they now may be if this is really bad)
It breaks them because it breaks the best continuation rules.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby brandonrossl » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:45 pm

CBenson directed me here, so here's another possible example/area to play with:
https://www.waze.com/livemap?lon=-76.60 ... n=-76.6093
brandonrossl

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor