Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Dealing with the start of I-405 N in P-town

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The following I sent to RallyChris, PDX neighbor AM, and he provided his insight but also agreed that getting outside opinion would be good too.

Give me your thoughts on the start of I-405 N.

ODOT says I-405 (Stadium Freeway Hwy 61) starts here
Here is the starting point in Papyrus
Here's how it looks in GMaps

My dilemma comes from the fact that the start of I-405 N here is also Exit 299B. Is it appropriate to have a Freeway road type named "Exit ..."? And I am not sure how the road type affects the routing instructions, if at all.

Part 2: The next split in the road is for Exit 1A headed downtown whereas I-405 heads to the right and then sweeps around north into town. The signage above the Exit 1A for Naito Pkwy etc is fine, but the signage for the more ramp-like I-405 is "I-405 / Hwy 26 W/ City Center / Beaverton". Should that segment be named just "I- 405" or should that segment be named as if it were an exit and how the signage reads?

I'm trying to straddle the naming standards, but also what does a driver unfamiliar with the roads need to know to make comfortable turns.

Whatcha think??
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Thanks for everyone's input. I have made some changes based on it. I will wait a few days now and do a test route through the segments to see if the prompts I get are what they should be.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonm128 wrote:
CBenson wrote: I'm curious what should be tried to force a "keep right" prompt here.
I'm not sure if this would work but I guess I would try a combination of having a slightly different name on the two I-405 segments and making sure there's a significant angle for both the ramp and continuing segment at the split.
There aren't two I-405 segments. I-405 starts at Exit 299 on I-5 northbound. The next split is I-405 Exit 1A, where the exit is a straight continuation and I-405 turns to the right on a ramp. I am very curious to see what the screen/voice prompts do here.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gerben wrote:You might try to turn the ramp to the left into Freeway (or at least a short bit at the beginning), so all parts of the Y have the same road type. This should trigger a keep right prompt for the 405.
Gah! We shouldn't have to rig intersections like this to get good prompting. I have done the small change to try to get prompts for both directions.

https://descartes.waze.com/live/?zoom=7 ... s=62098497
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Well, that's good. (I'm glad someone's checking it out for me. :)) Now to decide whether to kludge other similar exit combinations the same way or get Waze to fix the keep/exit logic.

Thanks for everyone's input.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I would keep all the road types as freeway. I would label the begining of I-405 "Exit ..." My only concern is having it look too messy on the client.
Why are we avoiding naming splits in freeways with what the signage reads. I have seen several threads here asking how to get instructions given at freeway splits and received several update requests around my area asking for instructions for both directions at freeway splits. Seems to me least complicated way is simply to name the segments with what's on the big green sign. The disadvantage is that the name sometimes appears on the client as the road name. This can be mitigated by using an extra node to make the section named to correspond to the BGS very short, but I tend not to add nodes unless there is clearly a problem with displaying the segment on the client as we have been told that nodes have some affect on routing.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
jasonm128 wrote:Then I would handle Exit 1A like any of the many other ambiguous exits and try to force both an "exit left" and a "keep right" prompt.
I'm curious what should be tried to force a "keep right" prompt here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
If I route through there on my client, I get the "Keep left to Exit 299B I-405 / Hwy 26 E / City Center" instruction, so it seems the changes have propogated to the client. However, I get no instruction to keep right if continuing on I-405 at Exit 1A.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Seems that your change was sucessful to get the keep right instruction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gerben
You might try to turn the ramp to the left into Freeway (or at least a short bit at the beginning), so all parts of the Y have the same road type. This should trigger a keep right prompt for the 405.
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png