Dealing with the start of I-405 N in P-town

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Dealing with the start of I-405 N in P-town

Postby CBenson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:25 pm

I would keep all the road types as freeway. I would label the begining of I-405 "Exit ..." My only concern is having it look too messy on the client.
Why are we avoiding naming splits in freeways with what the signage reads. I have seen several threads here asking how to get instructions given at freeway splits and received several update requests around my area asking for instructions for both directions at freeway splits. Seems to me least complicated way is simply to name the segments with what's on the big green sign. The disadvantage is that the name sometimes appears on the client as the road name. This can be mitigated by using an extra node to make the section named to correspond to the BGS very short, but I tend not to add nodes unless there is clearly a problem with displaying the segment on the client as we have been told that nodes have some affect on routing.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mapcat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:53 am

Seems to me Jason's idea is the best compromise. Normally I think the freeway should start where the exit ramps from I- 5 N & I- 5 S join, but since Exit 1A is an I- 405 exit, I think it has to come from I- 405.
mapcat

Postby jasonm128 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:34 am

I'm just brainstorming here but what if you put a junction in the middle of the segment you pointed to and then changed the second half to Freeway and named it I- 405? So you have a ramp where it exits I- 5 which then turns into a freeway before it gets to Exit 1A. I agree that the second segment of I-405 should just be labeled "I- 405". Then I would handle Exit 1A like any of the many other ambiguous exits and try to force both an "exit left" and a "keep right" prompt. If a driver got a command to "keep right on I- 405" they would see the 405 shield on the sign and it would still make sense.
Last edited by jasonm128 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonm128

Postby gettingthere » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:52 pm

part 2.

Yes, should be named as I- 405 since there exit 1A is a I- 405 exit. You can't have an exit before the actual freeway starts, can you?
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Although since that 1A is an exit from the I- 405, maybe you want to leave the second segment as I- 405 vs. a continuation of the exit ramp from the I- 5 as I suggested in the previous post.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:45 pm

Regarding part 1:

* I would mark the road type as a ramp from the end of the I- 5 until after the bridge where I- 405 starts. (the segment you have hi-lighted in the Papyrus link as well as the next segment to the north)
* Label as exit per the sign
* Hopefully the little hook in the road at the beginning of your hi-lighted segment will force a keep left voice instruction
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Dealing with the start of I-405 N in P-town

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:31 pm

The following I sent to RallyChris, PDX neighbor AM, and he provided his insight but also agreed that getting outside opinion would be good too.

Give me your thoughts on the start of I-405 N.

ODOT says I-405 (Stadium Freeway Hwy 61) starts here
Here is the starting point in Papyrus
Here's how it looks in GMaps

My dilemma comes from the fact that the start of I-405 N here is also Exit 299B. Is it appropriate to have a Freeway road type named "Exit ..."? And I am not sure how the road type affects the routing instructions, if at all.

Part 2: The next split in the road is for Exit 1A headed downtown whereas I-405 heads to the right and then sweeps around north into town. The signage above the Exit 1A for Naito Pkwy etc is fine, but the signage for the more ramp-like I-405 is "I-405 / Hwy 26 W/ City Center / Beaverton". Should that segment be named just "I- 405" or should that segment be named as if it were an exit and how the signage reads?

I'm trying to straddle the naming standards, but also what does a driver unfamiliar with the roads need to know to make comfortable turns.

Whatcha think??
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Waze Map Editor