The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

House number editing problem

Post by bwawsc
I'm attempting to move a house number pin from the back of the lot to the front, in order to resolve a routing problem that directs users to an adjacent street instead of the driveway of the house. I get an error message when I try to save:
2014-10-04_19-47-46.jpg
(112.69 KiB) Downloaded 1026 times
How can I determine what this is referring to and fix it? The house numbers go on for miles, it seems like - with no indication what is wrong.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-121.95746&lat=37.13149&layers=2981&zoom=7&segments=81819900
bwawsc
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

POSTER_ID:16966626

Send a message
Last edited by bwawsc on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bwawsc wrote:I'm attempting to move a house number pin from the back of the lot to the front, in order to resolve a routing problem that directs users to an adjacent street instead of the driveway of the house. I get an error message when I try to save:
Please read the House Numbers wiki page. That page has a section on errors and tells you how to determine what the error is for each error.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
DwarfLord wrote:
bwawsc wrote:I didn't know about the need to fiddle with roads in the tile and such in order to cause Waze to recalculate the tile. How big is a "tile"?
There is a wiki article on map tiles but unfortunately it doesn't say how big they are.
1sq km. https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Glossary#M
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bwawsc
I've tried moving a different house number a tiny bit - it seems I can't change any house number in this "block" because I can't save the result. If I'm interpreting the error message correctly, one of the dozens of house numbers that are loaded when you click "edit house numbers" has some sort of problem, which prevents saving any of them, because they all get validated and saved as a block.

I was prepared to ask the reporter to clear out his old info, etc. - and possibly attempt to move the Google pin. I didn't know about the need to fiddle with roads in the tile and such in order to cause Waze to recalculate the tile. How big is a "tile"?
bwawsc
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by bwawsc
After reading the Wiki (what a concept!) and fiddling with this a little more, I finally found the error message: "house number is out of sequence". It's true, the one next door to the left is higher. I guess I'll have to drive out there to see if I can tell what's right. I wouldn't be able to force an error anyway - I'm only Rank 2, and you have to be Rank 3.
bwawsc
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by bwawsc
DwarfLord wrote: EDIT: By the way, it is possible for the originator of a thread to change the thread's name. Unless of course you want to be referred to henceforth as as an iditor 8-)
Done. Although perhaps it was appropriate in this case... :oops:
DwarfLord wrote:Still there is the question of the other house address that really is down Chasewood. That may be a case of removing the Waze house number altogether, since that house's driveway is not reachable directly off Summit. It is (IMHO) a very unfortunate oversight in the House Numbering system that it can't handle addresses served via intermediate roads with another name, or via parking-lot roads with no name at all. I have had to delete a few House Numbers under those circumstances and it always makes me cringe.
I'm thinking it's the house next door that's wrong. That may really be a Chasewood house number and there's no Street View on Chasewood. Currently there's only one house number on Chasewood, way out at the end. There are many mailboxes at the street entrance - and I can't read them all. Guess I'll have to drive out there anyway.
bwawsc
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by bwawsc
All the house numbers on Chasewood (and the other nearby streets on that side of Summit) are odd numbers, which leads me to believe that they are Summit Rd addresses. There was one even-numbered mailbox in the cluster at the entrance to Chasewood (23250) which I assume belongs to somebody on the other side of the road - it didn't match any of the house numbers I could find on Chasewood itself. I deleted the one causing the out-of-sequence problem (first house on the left on Chasewood).

Is there an open bug report/feature request for fixing stop points related to house numbers so they can be placed on side streets when appropriate? I suspect easier said than done, because at the least it would mess up sequence checking.
bwawsc
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by bwawsc
So, aside from the validation of house numbers having fits due to random placement (not in sequence) and odd/even side of the street, what would be the downside of Waze using the main street house numbers and calling them side street house numbers? We don't have to get mail to them, so if your house is really 123 Fubar Blvd and Waze thinks it's 123 Fubar Ct that would solve the routing issue, right?
bwawsc
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
A number of understandings here that aren't quite right.

Point #1. The location of a Waze house-number marker has no effect whatsoever on routing. It's just for convenience so editors can tell what goes where, and it should go on the roof of the destination structure. However, house numbers with "virgin" markers (not created nor ever adjusted by an editor) are not used until an editor "touches" them. This can give the impression that moving the marker to a specific place made a difference. In reality it was simply moving the marker anywhere that was all it took to "wake up" Waze into using it. See Markers.

Point #2. It's the location of the stop point associated with the Waze house number that is important. But, that stop point won't be used unless the marker has been "touched" by an editor. See point #1.

Point #3. Even if the Waze house number has been "touched" by an editor, Waze may not realize it until some other piece of road in the same tile has been adjusted. Fussing with house numbers alone doesn't seem to be enough to persuade Waze to rebuild a tile.

Point #4. Even if the house number has been "touched", its stop point is in the right place, and a tile rebuild has occurred, Waze may still not use the house number for routing if the user provides or selects an address that isn't exactly right.

Point #5. Even if everything is absolutely perfect for using Waze house numbers, the user is very likely routing to a destination that they entered into their app's "favorites" and/or "recent" lists before the editor tried to help. That entry contains obsolete location information and nothing the editor does can change it. So, once the editor has finished adjusting the map, the user must be advised to look up the destination again. The best way to accomplish this is to ask the user to remove the destination from his/her "favorites" and/or "recents" lists; this forces the user to reload the destination and avoids confusion between old and new entries.

Point #6. If the destination house number and the user's search entry for it aren't exactly right, Waze will fall back on the Google pin. Which is, I am pretty sure, what happened here. I checked the location of the Google pin for this address and it is in the back yard closer to Chasewood than to Summit. So, Waze sends the user up Chasewood.

The ideal solution is to fix both the Google pin (by moving it closer to Summit than to the other roads) and the Waze house number (by placing the stop point at the driveway entrance on Summit). Adjust a tiny bit of road somewhere to force a tile rebuild. Wait for the tile rebuild. Then, ask the user to delete the existing entry from his/her favorites and/or recents lists and then try again.

Why WME is telling you the number is invalid and it cannot be forced, I'm not sure. The wiki article on House Numbers says the only error that you can't force is an invalid number format, but your screenshot shows a correct number. Either you accidentally entered invalid white space in the number, or the wiki is not quite correct on that account...?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
bwawsc wrote:I didn't know about the need to fiddle with roads in the tile and such in order to cause Waze to recalculate the tile. How big is a "tile"?
There is a wiki article on map tiles but unfortunately it doesn't say how big they are. If you search hard enough I bet you'd find something, but my impression based on seeing how Live Map updates, or fails to update, is that they are around 1/4 mile on a side. That is a horribly rough guess. I just haven't ever felt like I really needed to know ;)
bwawsc wrote:I guess I'll have to drive out there to see if I can tell what's right.
Street View is your friend:
Screen shot 2014-10-05 at 9.01.56 PM.jpg
House number
(17.42 KiB) Downloaded 994 times
Still there is the question of the other house address that really is down Chasewood. That may be a case of removing the Waze house number altogether, since that house's driveway is not reachable directly off Summit. It is (IMHO) a very unfortunate oversight in the House Numbering system that it can't handle addresses served via intermediate roads with another name, or via parking-lot roads with no name at all. I have had to delete a few House Numbers under those circumstances and it always makes me cringe.

EDIT: By the way, it is possible for the originator of a thread to change the thread's name. Unless of course you want to be referred to henceforth as as an iditor 8-)
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Last edited by DwarfLord on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.