The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by mapcat
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Mike, please use the form linked in this thread to report the problem unless you fixed it already.
Has anyone ever gotten a response to problems reported via the form? I've only used it 3 or 4 times, but no one from has ever contacted me regarding the errors. It would be nice to get an acknowledgement since I'm reluctant to correct anything before I know they're aware of the problem.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
@Dm_Fil:

Thanks for speaking up. It's good to finally hear from someone on the IGN team.

As others have already said, the frustration comes from lack of communication. Foremost, Waze should have explained to us who you are and how you work. We could only guess why some high ranking editors who had never participated in the forum were suddenly changing our work. Eventually Waze did acknowledge that they contracted with your company, but said that they did so to improve parts of the map that weren't getting any attention. This was incorrect, since many of the IGN team's edits happened, and continue to happen, in places where active volunteer editors are working.

When we notice someone making editing mistakes, we contact them. Waze gives us many opportunities to do this, via PM or via email when editors choose to make theirs public. Until a few weeks ago, when Krankyd created a form to report mistakes done by IGN editors, there was no way to point them out besides on the forum. And there is still no way to tell whether or not our reports have been heard. Even when someone fixes what they have done, we can't tell if they have learned why their work was wrong, and know not to make the same mistake again.

Sorry that you take offense to the original title of this topic, or any of the language contained in it. Try not to take it personally, but instead understand it in the context of people who are trying, and failing, to communicate. Such situations sadly often lead to anger. If you look through the 22 pages of this thread, you will see that this was not just a rant. Your editors made many edits that:

(a) showed that they were not familiar with Papyrus;
(b) showed that they were not familiar with the Best Editing Practices in the wiki; and
(c) showed that they were not familiar with driving, since some of them resulted in situations that could only lead to head-on collisions or roads to nowhere.
Dm_Fil wrote:IGN map editors team works with large amount of information having in the field of view aerial photos and GPS points data only.
Why don't you use anything else? The volunteer editors all have learned that there are MANY more resources out there to help us improve the maps. All of these resources are freely available to anyone with an internet connection, and completely legal to use. If you want to make this thread go away, use these resources, especially when it seems that a local editor (especially the AM of an area) has made an edit that does not match the photos or GPS tracks. Because we access other resources, we can make changes the day they take place, so aerial imagery, and several weeks of GPS tracks, won't match any longer.

At least one person at IGN needs to actively participate in the forum to stay informed about resources, changes to the editing practices, and newly discovered Papyrus quirks. When that happens, the quality of your work will improve, and no one will be making blanket statements about IGN editors. The volunteer team really does not want to compete against the IGN team. We should be on the same side.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
@22-1: are they recent edits?
mapcat
Send a message

Post by Mike-1323
Add another odddity to the ign list:

https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6& ... s=57915297

Someone put in ramps as dedicated turn lanes for an at-grade intersection. Bad enough on its own, but then ign_maryna edits just the ramp/turn lane and doesn't fix it!

I'm relatively new to map editing, but even I know that mapping dedicated turn lanes is almost never necessary (certainly not in this case) and that using ramps as at-grade turn lanes should never be done. Even given the slew of problems that they cause I would have expected more from ign editors.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by Mike-1323
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Mike, please use the form linked in this thread to report the problem unless you fixed it already.

Ah, Right. I forgot about that.

Reported and done.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by Omega-Supreme
Hey,

A few things concerning the form.
We created it in order to better manage complaints and track errors done by the IGN editors and the waze staff. Using the form, we were able to better educate the IGN editors and ensure they are following protocols.
It's important that you know we are reviewing every claim made there and send it to the IGN staff to clarify what was done wrong and how to avoid it in the future.
In some cases we will contact the person who reported the issue for clarification or such.
Please continue on filling that form as lessons have been taught by reviewing it.

Thanks,
Eyal.
Omega-Supreme
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
I see this edit is from june.
Are there also any examples more recent?
If no, I suppose they did indeed train the IGN_crew.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by petervdveen
And besides that there is also the waze staff, who are still level 6.

King
Krankyd
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
I wouldn't really mind if they would start editing in the netherlands.
Also if they would make some mistakes, but the overal edits are correct I wouldn't really mind it.

We should just have a list of area's where they are or will be editing.
(Or they should contact the local AM's as promissed.) But I don't think that's happening... :(
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
I should leave it open.
In my opinion it's not useless since it's not only a thread to notify alpha, but just a sharing thread about what's happening.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message