The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by R4CLucky14
Is there no versioning system? IMHO, any crowd-sourcing project should have the ability to pull up old data easily - too big risk if anyone can permanently delete anything and everything that failed to be locked.
R4CLucky14
Send a message
Tennessee Editors, paritipate in our Wikipage

Area Manager: Southeast Tennessee, USA. Includes Athens, Benton, Cleveland, Englewood, Greenback, Maryville, Madisonville, and surrounding areas.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt, Verizon, Android 2.3.4.

Post by RallyChris
My turn to vent. ign_svetlana(3) get out of Portland.

https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6& ... s=62318336
badedits.png
(613.46 KiB) Downloaded 867 times
Good old example of following the aerials, and not looking at GPS points. There is even an automated problem report (which drew my attention to this) showing the ign updates screwed this up.

You have two very active Area Managers covering this area, no need for ign to tread here.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by RobFromLafayette
jenncard wrote:
User report from Colorado wrote:I've reported this problem before and it was fixed, however, it has resorted back to the old problem. I am currently sitting in my works parking lot and the map tells me that I need to drive another 7 minutes before I reach my destination. I believe the old problem was that the map though Coloradoblvd was a 1-way street. if you need more info, please feel free to write.
Guess who just paid a visit on 07-Sep?
That one bums me out, since I'm the one who had fixed up her original request.

It's another case where the Aerials are older than what's on the ground, and I'd taken great pains to get the map correct for her morning commute.
RobFromLafayette
Send a message

Post by RobFromLafayette
RobFromLafayette wrote:
jenncard wrote:
User report from Colorado wrote:I've reported this problem before and it was fixed, however, it has resorted back to the old problem. I am currently sitting in my works parking lot and the map tells me that I need to drive another 7 minutes before I reach my destination. I believe the old problem was that the map though Coloradoblvd was a 1-way street. if you need more info, please feel free to write.
Guess who just paid a visit on 07-Sep?
That one bums me out, since I'm the one who had fixed up her original request.

It's another case where the Aerials are older than what's on the ground, and I'd taken great pains to get the map correct for her morning commute.
... and a shoutout to JennCard for bringing me to this thread.

I just found my notes from the original fix back in August, so it'll be straightforward to re-fix it, just a pain in the neck.
RobFromLafayette
Send a message

Post by RobFromLafayette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Are either of you a Rank 4? If not, ping me when you are done with the edits and I can lock them.
I'm rankless. I think I lost a bunch of edits at some point, so it only shows me at 14k edits -- I suspect the number is more like 150k. Guess I'll just have to re-earn the rank.

The issue that JennCard mentioned at 104th and Colorado turned out to be the same-old IGN crap, but with a funny wrinkle. The original reporter (another Jen) works at the bank there, and the house number for her bank was spotted strangely. I added a house number at the entrance to their parking lot, and she was all set. The whole interchange has been rebuilt since the aerials were taken, so Colorado doesn't line up with the old imagery.
The IGN editor was moving things to match the aerials, and somehow the house number was left floating in the middle of a field, no longer attached to the road.

You can lock it, I guess, but I'm not sure I like how the intersection is laid out now -- Colorado should probably be split South of the intersection, but I'm not sure how far South. It definitely should be split North of the intersection, since there are side streets that intersect without crossing the (new) median.

And JennCard -- by "found my notes" I mean "googled up the conversation with Jen about the problem" -- I never delete gmail, so it's not hard to "remember" things. :)

--Rob
RobFromLafayette
Send a message

Post by RobFromLafayette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Some of the stuff in that area is already locked by ign_maria, so do you want me lock them? You both are AMs here so it's okay as you can override?
Sounds great to me.

Thanks!
RobFromLafayette
Send a message

Post by RobFromLafayette
gettingthere wrote:
CBenson wrote:So there was no road type change going straight and no road name change - just a ramp going off to the right. And you get a "keep left" prompt going straight?
Yes. Don't know if the road geometry of the 'ramp' entrance plays into this.
You might also check the two sides of the junction to make sure IGN didn't change the city for one of the segments. I had a similar glitch on 287 in Lafayette (CO) earlier this year.
RobFromLafayette
Send a message

Post by RobFromLafayette
CBenson wrote:Do we have any confirmed instance of the city name actually affecting the navigation prompt? I've never come across such a circumstance that I was aware of.
It seems to me that best practice is not to use a ramp as a turning lane, which is why I can't find a similiar ramp where a keep left prompt is not given.
Unfortunately, I didn't take notes when I was tracking down my mystery "keep left" problem, and I changed a lot of variables at once. (I was doing cartography, not science)

The situation was similar to the "ramp-as-turn-lane" screenshot, but the segment of roadway between the turn-lane-split and the intersection was orphaned without a city name. It's possible that it also had a different road name (which would result in a keep-left prompt, AFAIK) but that is about as much as I can remember of it.
RobFromLafayette
Send a message

Post by RobFromLafayette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6& ... t=37.08411
Left turn onto on-ramp across median/turn not allowed and then off-ramp pointing wrong direction.
Wow.
Really, really... wow.
RobFromLafayette
Send a message

Post by RobFromLafayette
gettingthere wrote:
petervdveen wrote:And besides that there is also the waze staff, who are still level 6.

King
Krankyd
I don't see any issue with this. The Waze staff just needs to be aware not to lock their work.
That, and the fact that they don't generally fsck things up when they edit. :)
RobFromLafayette
Send a message