The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by heylance
All the examples I've seen are on split one-way roads, and I'm not sure it makes sense to split here. I've driven these roads (before I discovered waze). The three roads with the buit-in ThrU-Turns have drivable medians for the most part, and they are no wider than 3 lanes each way (only at the intersection itself).

I've taken a stab at these ThrU-Turns (https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5& ... TTTTFTTTTT). This seemed logical, but I'm wondering how it would play out during Nav.

I've restricted the lefts at the intersection of 12300 S and State St/Minuteman Dr and added U turns that loop back onto the two-way street going the opposite direction. The appropriate turns are enabled to conform with what is actually possible at the intersections.

Please, let me know if I've done this wrong or if you have suggestions for improvement.

Thanks,
Lance (mickeyb1ueeyes)
heylance
Send a message
mickeyb1ueeyes
HTC Thunderbolt • Android 2.3.4 (BAMF Forever 1.10 ROM) • waze 2.9.99.119 beta
Macbook Air 13" • Mac OS 10.7.2
2010 Toyota Camry Hybrid (avg 39 MPG)
Salt Lake Valley, UT Area Manager

Post by heylance
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
mickeyb1ueeyes wrote:I've taken a stab at these ThrU-Turns (https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=5& ... TTTTFTTTTT). This seemed logical, but I'm wondering how it would play out during Nav.
Thanks for finding this and taking the time to map it out. The Pioneer and Minuteman turn looks odd with the way Pioneer maps right through it. Does traffic on Minuteman north heading to Pioneer east actually have to get into the thru turn itself?
Yes. Entering Pioneer Rd from Minuteman (either direction) requires entering the southern part of the new ThrU-Turn.

Unrelated: Any idea when Live Maps will be updated again?

sent via Tapatalk on my HTC Thunderbolt
heylance
Send a message
mickeyb1ueeyes

Post by heylance
Alan,

It looks like there are some locked polygons over the ThrU-turns. Can you help me get rid of those?

Thanks.
heylance
Send a message
mickeyb1ueeyes

Post by heylance
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
mickeyb1ueeyes wrote:It looks like there are some locked polygons over the ThrU-turns. Can you help me get rid of those?
Done. Though I'm not sure how they were "locked" as there is no lock box for landmarks...

Yeah. Weird. I had no delete option in Papyrus. Thanks for your help.
heylance
Send a message
mickeyb1ueeyes

Post by ircphoenix
Holy... crap. Basically what I heard was "This intersection is going to help reduce traffic congestion and inconvenience by a tremendous amount! Unless you planned on making a left turn... in which case we're TOTALLY inconveniencing the crap out of you. Lawl."
ircphoenix
Send a message
Area Manager - Los Angeles, CA (on strike)
HTC Incredible - Verizon - CyanogenMod 7
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Client & Cartouche Known Issues
Waze Client Suggestions (Uservoice) | Cartouche Suggestions (Uservoice)

Post by ircphoenix
bgodette wrote:Yes they're even called Michigan Left's. And like the Diverging Diamond Interchange discussed a few weeks ago, I only see this as moving the problem slightly further away.
I agree with this sentiment completely. You're not fixing the problem. You're moving it to 3 other locations.. and creating more opportunities for people to be idiots and cause accidents. Insurance companies are gonna LOVE all these fancy intersections.

Roundabouts for all!
ircphoenix
Send a message
Area Manager - Los Angeles, CA (on strike)
HTC Incredible - Verizon - CyanogenMod 7
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Client & Cartouche Known Issues
Waze Client Suggestions (Uservoice) | Cartouche Suggestions (Uservoice)

Post by jasonh300
This is only a slight variation of the Michigan Left...the added traffic lights, and bulb-outs are the only real improvement. The bulb-outs would only be necessary if there was a very narrow median.

We got a few 4-way MLs here in Louisiana back in the late 70s, and they've all been replaced with a hybrid of Michigan Left and SPUI, probably because the ML is such a huge inconvenience for anyone wanting to turn left. It works great if you're going straight though.

https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6& ... 7,20938785

The U-turns I highlighted are original. If you wanted to make any left at this intersection, you either had to go thru and make a U-turn and then turn right, or turn right and make a U-turn and then go thru and the intersection featured signs just like they showed in the ThrU-turn video.

You still have to do this if you want to make a left onto Lapalco from Wall Blvd.

The SPUI style left turns were added sometime in the past 10 years.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Done. Though I'm not sure how they were "locked" as there is no lock box for landmarks...
Aren't landmarks locked to the level of the user that created them?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Gotta split the roads again . . . . I know, let's let the ign_ crew at it . . .

:lol:
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Polarsleuth
They are depressingly common in Michigan. Here is one from Ann Arbor ( https://descartes.waze.com/live/?zoom=6 ... TTTTFTTTTT ). I must say, the Utah design looks to be an improvement as the Michigan ones rarely have a stop light to assist in completing the left turn. You just had to hope there is a sufficient break in the traffic so you could dive for the right-turn lane. Which had the added "benefit" that most drivers learned routes to avoid making those special left turns....
Polarsleuth
Send a message
Area Manager: US - Albuquerque