The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by gettingthere
superslacker87 wrote:FWIW, I'm not sure if the powers that be saw this and fixed it or it righted itself on its own, but the shields are back now.
If would be great if Waze could tell us definitively how the shields are currently being added so we know if they will re-appear on their own or have to be requested for the support road types and naming.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Follow-up: I have verified with several segments that shields have properly generated after making minor geometry adjustments to force the tiles to refresh.
Great. So this should mean that renaming (as long as the names meet the Wiki standards and are a name that is currently supported for Shield Generation) should not negatively affect shields.

But do you have to adjust geometry also or can you just rename and know that the shield will not break or that a shield will be added?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by harling
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:...the code specifically drops the "to" from the ramp name, so it doesn't say, "Take a right at to U S twenty-three south."
In my experience, when a ramp's name starts with "to", it drops the entire name: "Take a right, at." Maybe the fix is so transparent that I didn't notice it, or maybe the latest Android Beta doesn't have that fix.

Personally, I think if a ramp's name starts with "to", it should drop the "at" and retain the "to": "Take a right, to U S twenty-three south"; you're not at US 23 S, you're on the ramp that leads to it.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by jenncard
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Here's a new tidbit on shield generation: while many roads will get them automatically, if there are exceptions, such as appears to be the case with any directional-specific segment names (S, N, E, or W suffix), a manual process must be kicked off to get the segments to generate shields.

Wait, so when we follow the naming standards according to the wiki, that breaks the shield?
jenncard
Send a message
https://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8358/em04.png
Recovering Waze addict, occasional driver and editor in LA.

Post by jenncard
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Not always, no. It's not broken until you notice it is so. ;)
Yesterday's drive demonstrated that what had formerly been beautifully shielded stretches of "70" is now unpleasantly displayed as "I- 70 W".
Poop.
jenncard
Send a message
https://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8358/em04.png
Recovering Waze addict, occasional driver and editor in LA.

Post by mapcat
It's not the directional marker, it's the space after the "I-". Can't delete that.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
gettingthere wrote:Per mapcat's response - We have Interstates in San Diego that do have the space after the 'I' and shields still have not been automatically generated.
Interesting. I added E/W/N/S to all the interstates in Indiana over the past few weeks and all of them are showing shields. One of them is I-80, which has I-90 as an alt route number, so if it were drawing them from the alt names, there would be some 90s showing.

But so far I haven't seen any reason to think that the space isn't still important. I'd try adding that before emailing alpha, just to see if they return on their own.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
gettingthere wrote:Are you seeing these newly generated shields on Live Map and/or in the Waze client application?
On the client. I looked closely and I-69's shields are missing, so you're right, there probably is something else going on too. On Live Map, at the zoom level that shows the current status, there are no shields. So why did they automatically show up for all the interstates in Ohio I edited months ago?
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
I was under the impression that the space in "I- 20" was there precisely for shield generation. Maybe there are roads somewhere whose names start with "I-" that are not interstate highways, and Waze wanted to differentiate the two. But even back when shields only appeared on Live Map, eliminating the space broke the shield. On entrance ramps, I think dropping the space is a good thing, since (once everything works properly) we don't need shields popping up on every ramp.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
tibble wrote:I've been keeping the space in the ramp names in the hope of the shield showing up in the next turn description in the client.
I don't think the shields ever show up in the driving instructions, even when you get on the highway. Do they? Maybe I need to pay closer attention.
mapcat
Send a message