The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by robferrer
While we're on the topic, should the W/E or N/S carriageways be labelled as such, or should both sides have the same road name?
robferrer
Send a message

Post by robferrer
fehners wrote:
robferrer wrote: Edit: I know we shouldn't just copy, but look at what Google (or whoever supplies their mapping) does: Roads change "level" when they reach a city. See the A19 and A59 here
Seems Google also has incosistent markings, look at this map http://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.001380 ... 26157&z=16

The A272 is just a normal road at this point with traffic lights etc and 30mph speed limit yet is still marked the same as it is outside of the town where national speed limit applies!
This is area where we can make the Waze mapping better than other sources, and is why area managers are local people - the people who know the roads best are the people who use them all the time.
robferrer
Send a message

Post by robferrer
fehners wrote:So to summarise..
So far we have the following labeling for the UK

Freeway -> Motorway
Major Highway -> A roads outside of town
Minor Highway -> A roads inside town/ B roads outside of town
Primary Streets -> B roads inside town
Streets -> Local roads
Ramps -> slip roads onto Motorways and A roads

Is this everything? and is this the correct summary?
I think as general guidance that seems ok, although it should be used as guidance only and should be used in conjunction with common sense and local knowledge (for example there are a wide range of different levels of A-road - using York as an example again, the A64 running past the South shouldn't be at the same level as the A1237 going round the top). If others feel these should be strict rules I'll happily change how I do things!
robferrer
Send a message

Post by robferrer
krankyd wrote: Minor highways on the other hand, could have a lot of stops - and have almost only junctions... however, if everynow and then they have ramps, this is fine. For example, when they connect to bigger highways and freeways, they will most likely have ramps.
These roads are usually narrower, and out of the highway types, they will usually be the last option for routing.
Based on this, I would say that a lot of A roads are in fact minor highways (I had an A-Road around York marked as minor, but someone changed it to major - I didn't want to start an edit war!)
robferrer
Send a message

Post by robferrer
agreed - good guidance, to be used with personal judgement where appropriate.
robferrer
Send a message

Post by robferrer
Looks good. It means a few changes to how I currently label things. Unfortunately I don't have time to rename all the roads I've done so far (at the moment), but I'll use those conventions for anything new.
robferrer
Send a message

Post by robferrer
Abbreviations are mentioned (I'd previously put the full name in for completeness). What about Street->St?
robferrer
Send a message

Post by robin1979
Basically that's how we do it in Belgium/Netherlands/Germany/(Italy?), with some little detailed difference:

Major highway -> Numbered road outside vicinity (or inside <40mph)
Minor highway -> Numbered road inside vicinity (or outside >40mph)
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by robin1979
zzyzxuk wrote:I've been putting the A and B roads in as 'primary streets' if it's in a built-up area where the speed limit is going to be 30 mph. Outside the built up areas, I would be in complete agreement that A roads should be "major highways" and B-roads "minor highways" - but in the middle of London, A-roads are little better than most side roads...surely?
Yes, but it gives a much better view at the higher zoom levels. Normal streets disappear quite fast, whereas highways stay visible. So even in the city you really should make a difference between streets and highways. Speed is extrapolated from the average speed on the road, not by road type.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by robin1979
robferrer wrote:I've been labelling major dual carriageways A-roads as freeways due to the requirement for ramps etc, and based on the information in this: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... name_roads (ie no stops).
That means when you have an A-road with a roundabout, you would have to make the roundabout a ramp.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe