Road Elevation Questions

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Road Elevation Questions

Postby DallasGrant » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:34 am

I know that https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Elevation#Road_elevation gives a little guidance on elevation, but what do you guys use to determine the actual standards for elevation. Do you base on terrain maps or a different standard? I generally have only been keeping everything at a ground level to a level 2 but would rather strive for perfection.
Area Manager for Mankato MN | Minnesota State Manager | USA Country Manager
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: Road Elevation Questions

Postby dmcrandall » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:42 am

Ground level is ground level. For every stack of the road (overpass, underpass, etc) you would increase that particular segment by +1.

Current procedure is to only use negative elevation on segments that might result in GPS loss (tunnels, long underpasses, etc).
"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok." -Matthew Quigley
[ img ]
US Country Manager
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby crazycaveman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:24 pm

As an addendum, in the past it seems that elevations have caused some weird routing issues (don't know if there's definitive proof of that). Because of this, I think the guideline is that more important roads should be ground (such as interstates/freeways, except when they're passing over/under other interstates/freeways) and the other roads should be set +/- that cross them. Not sure if this is how it's supposed to be done, but is what I've heard and seen done in my area.
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
ARC: South Atlantic Region
crazycaveman
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby DallasGrant » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Kool ... this is exactly what I have been doing ... setting ground for almost everything unless an overpass is present. I haven't ever used a negative impression yet, but I will keep that in mind for tunnels
Area Manager for Mankato MN | Minnesota State Manager | USA Country Manager
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
DallasGrant
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby dmcrandall » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:48 pm

DallasGrant wrote:Kool ... this is exactly what I have been doing ... setting ground for almost everything unless an overpass is present. I haven't ever used a negative impression yet, but I will keep that in mind for tunnels

The basic reactive thought is that if it's an underpass, it should be -1, but during the NY MapRaid, it was determined that this wasn't workable with Waze's latest update to the LiveMap. It shows negative elevations as underground on the map.

So, now everything is +1, etc...except when GPS loss could occur.
"This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok." -Matthew Quigley
[ img ]
US Country Manager
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby nzahn1 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:07 pm

dmcrandall wrote:
DallasGrant wrote:Kool ... this is exactly what I have been doing ... setting ground for almost everything unless an overpass is present. I haven't ever used a negative impression yet, but I will keep that in mind for tunnels

The basic reactive thought is that if it's an underpass, it should be -1, but during the NY MapRaid, it was determined that this wasn't workable with Waze's latest update to the LiveMap. It shows negative elevations as underground on the map.

So, now everything is +1, etc...except when GPS loss could occur.

The other thing is how do define if an intersection is a underpass or an overpass? If road "A" goes over road "B" then it is an underpass for drivers on "A" but and overpass for drivers on "B". It all depends on perspective.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Maryland SM | WME Beta | iOS Beta
WME Profile E-Mail MD Twitter MDForum MDWiki Welcome!
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:11 pm

nzahn1 wrote:The other thing is how do define if an intersection is a underpass or an overpass? If road "A" goes over road "B" then it is an underpass for drivers on "A" but and overpass for drivers on "B". It all depends on perspective.

And just because it is an underpass doesn't mean it gets a negative number. If the sky is visible, and there is no road below it, it's Ground level.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby crazycaveman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:57 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
nzahn1 wrote:The other thing is how do define if an intersection is a underpass or an overpass? If road "A" goes over road "B" then it is an underpass for drivers on "A" but and overpass for drivers on "B". It all depends on perspective.

And just because it is an underpass doesn't mean it gets a negative number. If the sky is visible, and there is no road below it, it's Ground level.

So my post above is inaccurate? If an interstate passes over another road, the interstate should be set to +1?
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
ARC: South Atlantic Region
crazycaveman
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:11 pm

crazycaveman wrote:So my post above is inaccurate? If an interstate passes over another road, the interstate should be set to +1?

Yeah, earlier post was more correct. Because of the way Waze renders livemap and future client map, negative numbers will be shown as a tunnel. In fact, what we want is that if it is on the ground and you can see sky, it probably should be ground unless there is another road under which can also see sky. In general, most every interchange we have should all be positive numbers.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Return to Waze Map Editor