Waze Map Editor (WME) manual in the Wiki

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Postby Wolfeye » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:28 am

I believe you should have maximum of 3 levels of pages. So that you won't click away not knowing where you came from. You would rather have a few, very long, pages with this automatically generated table of contents.
Let's take Map Editing for an example. Either you'd want to know how to edit or you won't. If you do, you must now everything about it to understand and do it correct. You could have just one huge page with everything there is to know about editing. And before you even think about logging in to WME you should read that page, from top to bottom, at least once. You could have the basics (how to log in, which button to click, "and then save your work!"), when and where to use different road types, what to name them and why.
So take the Manual, BEP, How to label and name roads and Junction style guide and put them together at just one page.
Then you will know where to look to find your answer. Just go to the page about editing and find the right chapter in the table of contents.

One page about using the client.
One page about edit the map.
One page about "the rest".

But that's just my simple opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wolfeye

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:42 am

The problem is that the search function really sucks and often, it's hard to find a link to some pages from pages that the new users are likely to be reading.

After they're done reworking all the pages, someone needs to work on a good table of contents that is well organized. And maybe a few "related topics" links for the bottom of each wiki page.
jasonh300

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:02 pm

Editors,

I'm happy to present the beginning framework of the new map editor (WME) manual in the wiki. I have written several new pages, building on the layout of some of the existing Cartouche pages, but rewriting from scratch and including all new screenshots.

The head/top page at the moment is http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze_Map_Editor and there are already several branches from there, such as in the Editing Manual section. There are also several links to pages which have not been re-written or discarded as a link due to no longer be relevant, so there is much work still to do.

Any feedback, go ahead and leave it. But this is a wiki, so it belongs to the community. I'm just kickstarting it.

-Alan
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Waze Map Editor (WME) manual in the Wiki

Postby rosepelaez » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:40 am

Can I edit the names of the buildings?
rosepelaez

Postby Wildman523 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks been very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wildman523

Postby jaliatis » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:38 pm

thanks for the advise.

jab
jaliatis

Postby maicovm » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:38 am

Thanks helped me a lot .. Allan

Att Maicovm
:) :)
maicovm

Postby kingsixDXB » Wed May 28, 2014 3:12 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Editors,

I'm happy to present the beginning framework of the new map editor (WME) manual in the wiki. I have written several new pages, building on the layout of some of the existing Cartouche pages, but rewriting from scratch and including all new screenshots.

The head/top page at the moment is http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Waze_Map_Editor and there are already several branches from there, such as in the Editing Manual section. There are also several links to pages which have not been re-written or discarded as a link due to no longer be relevant, so there is much work still to do.

Any feedback, go ahead and leave it. But this is a wiki, so it belongs to the community. I'm just kickstarting it.

-Alan
kingsixDXB

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:27 pm

FYI: this "trick" will become unnecessary in native WME as there will be a layers refresh available. At least one user-contributed extension/plugin does this today.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dandaninc » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Thank you!
dandaninc

Next

Return to Waze Map Editor