Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by skapur1
txemt wrote:

Description: bear on the side of road
Reported on: January 31

Display related:

Report as:Open Solved Not identified
SHOOT IT!!! Or pick it up and eat it....but this was a UR in the farm lands of West Texas, so I don't think there was an actual bear or not.....I didn't think they ventured out that far west (or east).
Hmmm. I would not be that fast about shooting a Police officer or eating one.

And just in case non-US people are reading this, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_po ... lang_terms and scroll down to Bear.
skapur1
Send a message

Post by sketch
"Problem: looking for a gas station. now I'm in the middle of a corn field with three small children. I'm really starting to hate you guys."
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Problem: i am not located in the correct location
You'd better get out of there, then!
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
davielde wrote:Apparently we need an "Avoid Popeye's" option in the app, but solving URs is making me hungry! So glad he pointed me in the right direction.

Hahaha, so glad he referred to it by its full, proper name—"Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen". You Northerners are hilarious! ;)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Haha, I think he was joking. Popeyes was founded in the New Orleans area, and its founder was somewhat of a local celebrity. He lived in the same suburb as me, had a house with an unreal light display every Christmas—but he died and then they tore the house down. Oh well. Txemt grew up (I believe?) around here too.

You'd never, ever hear anyone call it by its full, proper name, "Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen" around here, so it's really funny to me that someone did. It's just "Popeyes"—there's no apostrophe, even. The founder (Al Copeland) used to joke that "he couldn't afford an apostrophe" when he opened up the first restaurant in Arabi.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
All the stuff at that building off I-10 was gone a few years before he died. Maybe he lost it in a divorce or something. I lived (still do) between Clearview and Causeway, so I'd see it coming off the Interstate on the way from my grandma's in Cut Off. He died only a few years ago, 3 or 4?

His house was at the end of Transcontinental, I think. We'd go see the Christmas lights every year. I used to ride my bike down there and look at all the cars in the driveway, Bentleys and Ferraris and the like. Can't believe they tore the whole thing down after he died. It's just an empty lot now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I lived in Baton Rouge for four months. I went to New Orleans just about every weekend. I don't know how you stayed there for ten years, it's such a hole! :D

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Baton Rouge and New Orleans may be pretty close to each other on a map, but they're a world apart!

Popeyes chicken itself is a lot better around New Orleans and Louisiana than it is in the rest of the country. To explain this, I came up with what I call "Copeland's Law": that the quality of Popeyes chicken decreases exponentially the further you get from New Orleans. It turns out there's apparently a shade of truth to that—Popeyes allegedly uses a different seasoning blend locally cause they figure the rest of the country can't handle the level of spice we're used to!

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
SuperDave1426 wrote:I can't edit that location since it's outside of my editable areas (and since it's outside of my editable area, I can't see the actual URs so I hunted around and found what looked to be the most likely location). :-) However, something I noticed:

The landmark for the gas station on Rue Ln & Egan Hwy (which is where the Conoco is) is nearby and isn't covering the station area itself. Just a minor detail, but one you might want to take care of so it shows on the app properly.

I did, however, notice that Google Maps did not have its primary category as "Gas Station" - it had it as "Truck Stop," with "Gas Station" as one of the services that it offers. I logged into my Google Mapmaker account and submitted a change to reverse that and make "Gas Station" the primary. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that's why Waze isn't seeing it as a nearby gas station. Once that change has been accepted by Google Maps, that station should be findable when doing a "report gas prices" in the app. This is, of course, assuming that whether or not "Gas Station" being the primary classification matters to Waze or not - for all I know, I could have just spent a bunch of time for nothing. :D

HTH! :-)
Gas stations come from Waze's internal database only. Like tonestertm said, there have been problems with the gas station system (both reporting and searching) over the last week or so. It worked for me this morning but didn't work Wednesday night. It's been off and on.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message