Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by sketch
I really, genuinely want to know how one manages to end up in the "Map Issue" dialog instead of "Navigate" three times in a row.

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
davielde wrote:Actually, since the direct left turn onto Inkster is enabled from Grand River while 8 Mile has a "Michigan Left", this is rather ingenious... Plus, we get a big "M" when viewed from above!

Waze regularly gives me a similar route when I'm going north on Gratiot and need to get to NB Groesbeck via Metro Pkwy. I even left a UR about it: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-82.89 ... 33&env=usa

It's actually a minute faster, according to the livemap, than the "correct" route, doing the Michigan left to Metro Pkwy. I can understand, too, since it's also apparently a 0.6 mile savings.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
A new one for me, someone just gave me their phone number and asked me to call them so they could give me "a detailed message" about "what's going on". Maybe after that we could meet up for drinks.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
bz2012 wrote: Hmmm... His next comments are
Half kennels nss
and
Mdmdkjjdjeejb d ndfkkdtn kneels me Nero djembe sjne sjne djjr
I know there used to be a Naval radio station that broadcase bulletins in morse code on short waves and medium waves. The call sign was NSS, but I don't know any thing about kennels or Nero.
I think I'll cut my losses and mark it 'unknown' and close it.
Maybe it's a numbers station......... :cry:
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
It's worth your time to try, though. Google results are being offered for first-try for POI searches now; Map Maker often does work. And, while yes, your first few Map Maker changes will not be changed without review, once you've had a couple dozen accepted, they start to publish immediately — first address results, then POI results. So the more you try, the more effective you become.

Occasionally Map Maker will bug out completely (at least for me) when I'm trying to move an Address marker, but there is the alternative route of reporting bad data through Google Maps itself. Once when Map Maker bugged and didn't let me move an address, I (1) reported a bug with Map Maker, and (2) reported a map problem on Google Maps. I'm not sure which one triggered it, but I got an email a couple weeks later saying my change was made, and it was.

Yelp and Yellowpages aren't really worth your time; Bing isn't available anymore. I can't really judge with Foursquare, since I am a SuperUser over there, so I can move Foursquare markers no problem. But those tend to be accurate anyway.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Many states are replacing their particular landmark guidance pages with the US Places guide. Maybe contact your regional coordinator — I feel like this is going to / should happen countrywide, but some states' wikis haven't gotten around to it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
bz2012 wrote: It must be terrible to be an unloved tractor supply. :)
Hah!

The one in Covington, though? I just fixed that a couple weeks ago! The Google marker is in the right place now...
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
irowiki wrote:
Update Request: General error
hitchhiker
:lol:
I once reported a pair of hitchhickers as "Hazard > On Shoulder > Animals" ;)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Allow me to translate.

"curious I'm busting my butt pedal to the metal when I can ,how fast (mph)do you time ETA?"

"curious" = I'm just curious,

"I'm busting my butt pedal to the metal when I can" = I am driving as fast as I can when traffic permits

"how fast (mph)do you time ETA?" = What speed do you use to measure the ETA over a known distance?

Either he's beating the ETA there and wondering what the reference speed is to account for the disparity, or the ETA is actually accurate for him and he's wondering if Waze expects him to be speeding.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Haha, my old TomTom was very pessimistic about arrival times. I once beat it by some five hours or so on a long trip. Although, the Garmin I had before that was almost eerily accurate.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message