The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by qwaletee
tonestertm wrote:
Problem: I'm at Hobby lobby. Please correct this

Um, there's a Michael's just up the road...?
Doesn't sound very Jolly. And we all know what it means, right?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
bz2012 wrote:Reply to a 'more information' request on a general error saying 'no left turn', and my followup question.
Reporter January 08, 2015
When you make a right turn coming from Nelson rd on to prien lake , in front of the Taccoo plus store there a sign that say No Left turn ,
bz2012(5) January 09, 2015
If I understand correctly, you just wanted to let us know that there is a sign saying 'no left turn' at that location. You were NOT telling us that Waze tried to make you turn left at a place where such a turn is forbidden?
Arghhhh. :)

NOTE: at that point there is NO roadway nor (currently) any PLR that Waze could possibly direct someone to take, so there was literally 'no left turn' there.
Bob, there should actually be a PLR there for Tobacco Plus, as well as a Gas Station place. There should also be a small PLR network on the other side of the road for the shopping center.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
sketch wrote:Gyazo is even more automated, but I don't use it anymore. I think embedding was kinda weird with it.

I don't personally like Dropbox for this purpose because then I have a Dropbox public folder full of this kind of stuff, and when I clean it out, the image is gone from the thread. With imgur, they stay on there "forever". To each his own, though.
Not necessarily forever. For anonymous uploads, they get deleted 6 months after the last view. I think if they are in a signed-up account, they won't get deleted.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Tru dat
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
But but but... atheists don't want to be "rescued."
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
You saying he's doomed?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
This one is stale, but still an awesome example of the transformation from paper to digital. Really funny OCR. https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... st=3546103
Try saying it while gagged.PNG
OCR, or is is it so cold that you're wearing a scarf?
(195.42 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Olestas wrote:Did not understand.. but mf and rrd are errors, aren't they?
It seems someone once upon a time had a map or list of of streets that included "Mt Lodge Road" or "Mtn Lodge Rd" or similar.

Someone scanned it in, and used OCR to get an electronic list (text). The Mt/Mtn turned into Mff, and the Rd/Road turned into Rrd.

I suppose it could be a manual input error, and not an OCR error. But I was very involved in CR at one point, and this absolutely consistent with typical OCR errors.

Remember, mapping has been around for thousands of years. Modern mapping and transportation network record keeping in the US has been around for about 150 years. Electronic storage of that data only starts 50-60 years ago, and only . A lot of catch-up involved transferring data from state resources, the US Geological Survey, and historic Census Bureau data into the original TIGER system in the 1980s. That was not long after OCR began coming of age. I haven't seen anything specific about this, but I would bet they at least experimented with OCR in the data gathering process.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by qwaletee on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by qwaletee
bz2012 wrote:3 segments seem to need to have their names corrected:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 4,74741905
then the UR can be marked solved and closed.
Yes, they do, I just wanted to leave that there for a bit. It does give us a chance to look at it and laugh, but I have a practical reason. The Roads there are very round and branch-y, and from experience, roads like that, especially in this area, sometimes have the wrong name assigned altogether. If the reporter engages, I'd like to find out whether Mt Lodge Rd really extends beyond those three segments.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Bigbear3764 wrote:Did Waze add voice instructions from drivers?
Taking a brief serious moment in this thread...

I suspect the driver was headed to one of the fine eating establishments at the Mansions shopping center. Some of the Google pins are towards the front of the lot, close to Gold Rd, and might have caused Waze to give a stopping point on the public road. Alternatively (and this might be a better match for the response you got), Waze had a shaky GPS or data signal, and gave the turn instruction for Meier too early or misplaced the driver already on Merier and gave a no-name left turn instruction into the PLR. The fact that Waze is showing only a dot of teh driver's actual path might be indicative of a signal issue.

I would just set up a PLR very close to Golf (probably could just move the existing PLR, I don't think that one makes too much sense).

Also, the road is misnamed. It is just Golf Rd. E Golf and W Golf are just cardinals.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message