The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by qwaletee
CBenson wrote:
qwaletee wrote:I have never encountered one where it really made sense.
The history here is that when waze imports a map it can't tell the difference between a nonjunctioning overpass and a crossroad intersection. Thus, waze initially has every overpass mapped as a crossroads and would give instructions to turn left of the bridge onto the road below. Every overpass that doesn't do this has been edited by an editor. Thus, in the early days "missing bridge overpass" was a heavily used and necessary report. Not so much anymore as the vast majority of overpasses are no longer crossroads on the waze map.
So in other words, a subset of "incorrect junction," which might be better phrased as "No intersection of these roads"
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
We call that a "Michigan Right"
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
There is a forum post for canned UR responses. This should be moved there. Starting around page 12 I think, we started actually posting some of our goto responses, and some of us have actually created our own Wiki pages for them (see my signature).

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=78759
tckma wrote:
sockslabs wrote:I've found the reporter often doesn't recollect where they were when they filed the report, so I usually usually say something like "can you please provide more information on the 'general error' you reported on E. Main St. in Shrewsbury, MA?"
Similarly, my response is based on the type of error, and by observing UR responses of other editors in my area. What I do is this:

For a General Error:

"Hello, and thank you for your report on Main Street in Townburg. Unfortunately, I can't tell exactly what happened. What was the nature of the problem you experienced?"

Usually, the response to that one is crickets.

For Wrong Driving Direction:

"Hello, and thank you for your report on Main Street in Townburg. Unfortunately, as volunteer map editors, we can only see a small portion of the route Waze recommended and a small portion of the route you drove. I see that Waze suggested you to continue on Main Street but you turned left on School Street instead. (or, it seems that you followed the route that Waze suggested.) What was your destination?"

The response to that, if I even get one, is usually something like "Townburg Elementary School, Townburg, USA" at which point I check Google Maps for the location of the school. Or, a response like "2345 Main Street, Townburg, USA" at which point I check house numbers AND the pin location in Google Maps.

I think it would help if we could respond with some sort of template. I find myself typing the same words over and over again in response to URs.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Clipboard02.jpg
New York is a Walmart
(61.55 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
General error (user reported)

Problem: New York is a Walmart

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 11&endshow

My response:

qwaletee(5) on June 22, 2014
Hi, volunteer map editor here to solve your problem. What happened?

(I like to imagine that you saw a magician wave his wand and turn all of the boutiques and expensive department stores in Manhattan into a modern cut rate bazaar. But you probably just had a problem with autocorrect or voice input.)
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
So how should we map this?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Ummm, commenting without context, but isn't that his exact complaint? That Waze is suggesting a U-turn on the highway?
sockslabs wrote:Reported on I-290W: Turn not allowed
sockslabs(3) on June 24, 2014
What you you mean 'turn not allowed' on 290 W?
Reporter on June 24, 2014
No U turn ..
sockslabs(3) on June 24, 2014
I don't understand. You're on 290W, a 3-lane interstate highway. Taking a U-turn is going to kill somebody. What do you mean?
He hasn't responded back -- I fear something terrible may have happened. ;)
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Please, no... I'll take funky written answers any day over unintelligible noises. Plus, try doing that while trying to look busy on your laptop. "Hey, are you on a conference call all day long with that headset?"
xteejx wrote:Oh God please don't mention the messed up timings for TTS!
In regards to the General Error UR option... I wonder if it could be something to bring up with Waze directly at the UK meet up this Saturday. I want to push for a report cache option anyway for low signal areas. Maybe not for traffic but for user reports and map errors it'd be helpful.
Also maybe a way to record a Wazers voice (so much easier) recording of the issue which we could then playback in WME.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
sockslabs wrote:
qwaletee wrote:
Ummm, commenting without context, but isn't that his exact complaint? That Waze is suggesting a U-turn on the highway?
Waze never suggests U-turns. Instead it'll send you 2 miles down back roads and take 3 lefts. Plus the interstate segments are all 1-way. So: huh?

Depends on your definition of U-turn. We have lots of URs on "illegal U-turns" where we have a dual carriageway. Waze treats it as two lefts, but the real world effect is a U-turn.

I've also heard that in some cases, the new version of Waze will actually give a U-turn instruction.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
jasonh300 wrote:
sketch wrote:Hmmmm, although isn't it true that the Shell and Chevron logos are typically in title case, whereas "TEXACO" is generally in all caps? :D
SHELL and TEXACO are all caps on their signs but Chevron is mixed case. I convert everything to mixed case in the editor so as not to be obnoxious. However, I haven't figures out a way to make the double x in Exxon in the editor.
Type plus plus and tilt.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
Jay91150 wrote:Reply should have just been "New Jersey."
And they say Canadians are overly polite.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message