Jolly drivers

The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Jolly drivers

Postby txemt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:22 pm

russblau wrote:
Problem: Gallaudet University has 5 entrances - 2 on 9th St., 2 on Virginia Ave., and 1 on Florida Ave. map should indicate which entrance driver wants to go to..

You just need to change the setting under Menu | Settings | Advanced | Mind Reading :lol:

(I won't even mention the fact that two out of the three streets named are wrong.... Oh, wait. :oops: )

I'm surprised there aren't hand signals with this report.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Daknife » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:31 pm

ctpoole wrote:I finally have a UR that justifies my posting:

Update Request: Wrong driving direction
Took me to a dead end road. Not destination

And yes, he made the UR at a dead end but there is no indication of where he wanted to really go, so how am I supposed to know?

Mind reading, crystal ball, maybe I close my eyes and pick a place on the map?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think this is actually a Jolly Driver. Last night I cleared several map problems where the system was complaining that drivers weren't following the suggested routes. The problem is every one of the five such MP's I closed were indicating that Waze had been telling drivers to leave a state hwy (minor hwy type) and turn onto a dead end street. Before closing I skimmed up and down the Hwy in question looking for a bad turn restriction, disconnect or something else that could cause the routing engine to seek an alternate route. But I couldn't find anything.

So this driver may have actually been routed down a dead end road, and the made the report when they realized it was a dead end. My opinion that report is legit, and indicates a minor problem the routing engine might be having.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:36 pm

daknife wrote:I don't think this is actually a Jolly Driver. Last night I cleared several map problems where the system was complaining that drivers weren't following the suggested routes. The problem is every one of the five such MP's I closed were indicating that Waze had been telling drivers to leave a state hwy (minor hwy type) and turn onto a dead end street. Before closing I skimmed up and down the Hwy in question looking for a bad turn restriction, disconnect or something else that could cause the routing engine to seek an alternate route. But I couldn't find anything.

So this driver may have actually been routed down a dead end road, and the made the report when they realized it was a dead end. My opinion that report is legit, and indicates a minor problem the routing engine might be having.

Sounds like an issue of the dead-end u-turn being enabled. I see this a lot when people are determined to take a route that they think is faster, and Waze is trying to get them to go a different way. Any dead-end on the route with a U-turn enabled will cause this type of routing...at least until they get to a point where their route is actually faster.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Mike-1323 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:15 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Sounds like an issue of the dead-end u-turn being enabled. I see this a lot when people are determined to take a route that they think is faster, and Waze is trying to get them to go a different way. Any dead-end on the route with a U-turn enabled will cause this type of routing...at least until they get to a point where their route is actually faster.

That's about 40% of those errors. Another 40% is the directed u-turn between the lanes of a divided highway and the remaining 20% are routes "around the block" to accomplish a u-turn. It seems that users don't want to make u-turns.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Mike-1323 wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Sounds like an issue of the dead-end u-turn being enabled. I see this a lot when people are determined to take a route that they think is faster, and Waze is trying to get them to go a different way. Any dead-end on the route with a U-turn enabled will cause this type of routing...at least until they get to a point where their route is actually faster.

That's about 40% of those errors. Another 40% is the directed u-turn between the lanes of a divided highway and the remaining 20% are routes "around the block" to accomplish a u-turn. It seems that users don't want to make u-turns.

Around the block at least makes sense to the users and they see that it wants them to go back the way they came. But the dead end routing tells you to turn onto the dead end, then tells you nothing about making a u-turn at the end and the next instruction is to turn back onto the road you started on.

Whenever I see one of these, I go on a end-node-u-turn killing frenzy in the surrounding area.
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fvwazing » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:22 pm

In the end, making U-turns is a balance between personal taste, turning-radius of the vehicle and properties on the map. (30 ton truck - check. Prefer no U-turns at all - check)
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby orbitc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:36 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
Mike-1323 wrote:

Around the block at least makes sense to the users and they see that it wants them to go back the way they came. But the dead end routing tells you to turn onto the dead end, then tells you nothing about making a u-turn at the end and the next instruction is to turn back onto the road you started on.

Whenever I see one of these, I go on a end-node-u-turn killing frenzy in the surrounding area.

It would be nice if Waze did this automatically.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:08 pm

fvwazing wrote:In the end, making U-turns is a balance between personal taste, turning-radius of the vehicle and properties on the map. (30 ton truck - check. Prefer no U-turns at all - check)

The issue isn't with U-turns in this case...it's the issue with waze routing people down dead-ends to make a U-turn at the end of the dead end, which could be a mile from where they turned off. If it would just say "Make a U-turn", things would be much better.
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:20 pm

Or if they included some direction at the end of the u-turn. As of right now there is no instruction leading people to think Waze doesn't know it dead ends.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:31 pm

shawndoc wrote:Or if they included some direction at the end of the u-turn. As of right now there is no instruction leading people to think Waze doesn't know it dead ends.

Exactly.
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze Map Editor