The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Private Road Gates in rural areas

Post by AR-Guru
I do a lot of driving in the rural back roads of Arkansas for work. Looking for creek, streams, and rivers. Arkansas has tons of Hunting Leases and Logging road that are gated. It would be nice if the map could have a gate symbol on it, so that if the way I'm going is blocked off or is just a bad way to go, I could manually route my self another way. Waze doesn't always pick the best routes in these situations. Roads get flooded, trees across road, and various other things happen. Is it possible to add something that shows there is a gate there? permanently.
AR-Guru

POSTER_ID:16981940

Send a message

Post by CBenson
There is not currently anyway to indicate a gate on the waze map. Roads that are permanently blocked should likely not be connected on the waze map. Roads that are gated so that only authorized personnel can access the road should likely be private roads or treated as a gate to a private installation. For specific guidance on how to edit the map to avoid routing on these roads, you should likely raise the issue with the local editors in the Arkansas forum.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by steveinark
AR-Guru wrote:I do a lot of driving in the rural back roads of Arkansas for work. Looking for creek, streams, and rivers. Arkansas has tons of Hunting Leases and Logging road that are gated. It would be nice if the map could have a gate symbol on it, so that if the way I'm going is blocked off or is just a bad way to go, I could manually route my self another way. Waze doesn't always pick the best routes in these situations. Roads get flooded, trees across road, and various other things happen. Is it possible to add something that shows there is a gate there? permanently.
Lots of the rural roads here in the state are untouched from the original 2009 map data. Many errors, cowpaths, power line ROWs, etc. I'd bet most of us would like the gate symbol. :)

But while we're waiting, I think the breaking the private road segments at that point is a good idea. Heck, anyone with the "gate key" isn't likely using Waze, LOL.

While on your on-the-spot travels, if you make notes, it would facilitate doing map edits in the days later (and would really help the AR map). Or a message to an Area Manager (AM) for that area (when available) ... regarding the gate(s), would eventually garner an update. Also posting a map problem on the App (while "at the exact spot"), with clear remarks on what is needed, would work.

Even if it takes a long time till an editor comes along with authority to edit that area, the error will hang around on the map forever, till fixed. :D I scan my rural driving areas almost daily for URs and will gladly fix any I see.

The Arkansas forum, as suggested above, is not a hotbed of activity, so such requests would be welcome there too. Though a fix might take a while to materialize, LOL. viewforum.php?f=598

PM me if I can assist you.

Steve
steveinark
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Arkansas State Mgr (SM)
South Central Region Multi-State Mgr (MSM): AR + Louisiana - Mississippi - Oklahoma - Texas
Steve (Eureka Springs, AR)

Post by taco909
voludu2 wrote:But if someone picks a destination point in the middle of the private road or installation, Waze will find a route in. It has to work this way so residents of gated communities find their ways home for work?
With one caveat. We had a situation here in LA a couple of weeks ago where a route was running through a combination of private and PLR... The driver was starting near the end of an effectively dead-end street with a gate at the end. Waze would always start up assuming the driver was heading north, and rather than route what ever kind of u-turn is possible on a single segment, it would instead consistently opt for ignoring the penalties and route over the hill.

Since everything is penalty-based, with the exception of a hardened prohibited turn, we have to be careful about paths that are much shorter than the alternative, but are a non-desired route.

If you've got a road that is effectively dead-end, but with a private road at that very end that does potentially route to somewhere else, until we get functional u-turn support, we need to provide some kind of "hack" to allow for a routed u-turn, even if it is as simple as a small 10m diamond pulled so close that it appears to be a single "chubby" segment.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Keep in mind that you don't have to drive back out to the spot to leave a UR.
You can go there in the Livemap and leave one from the comfort of your sofa.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Twister-UK wrote:
taco909 wrote:If you've got a road that is effectively dead-end, but with a private road at that very end that does potentially route to somewhere else, until we get functional u-turn support, we need to provide some kind of "hack" to allow for a routed u-turn, even if it is as simple as a small 10m diamond pulled so close that it appears to be a single "chubby" segment.
Can't you just enable the u-turn at the junction node between the public and private segments? I've used this approach with success to deal with a couple of URs in the UK where users were similarly being routed through private segments because there wasn't anywhere to turn around.
So far, the NA server is apparently not routing u-turns. I wasn't involved in editing that particular issue, but several high ranking editors from the LA area had tried a number of things... I would have assumed that would have been the first.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by Twister-UK
taco909 wrote:If you've got a road that is effectively dead-end, but with a private road at that very end that does potentially route to somewhere else, until we get functional u-turn support, we need to provide some kind of "hack" to allow for a routed u-turn, even if it is as simple as a small 10m diamond pulled so close that it appears to be a single "chubby" segment.
Can't you just enable the u-turn at the junction node between the public and private segments? I've used this approach with success to deal with a couple of URs in the UK where users were similarly being routed through private segments because there wasn't anywhere to turn around.
Twister-UK
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 2
Send a message
Chris (not to be confused with Chris or Chris, or even Tim, Stu, or any of the other champs team...)
AM SE England & Shetland Islands, UK Local Champ, WME Beta Tester & ScriptMangler
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork

https://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/beta.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/s0400.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/c5s.png

Post by voludu2
Waze has no "private gate" symbol or anything similar can be used to indicate that only authorized people are allowed in. When gates are not permanently Blocked, Editors use private roads in these places, to tell Waze not to route through as a shortcut to someplace else.

But if someone picks a destination point in the middle of the private road or installation, Waze will find a route in. It has to work this way so residents of gated communities find their ways home for work?

Asking for something editors can put on the map to generate a "private access point" warning is an interesting idea.

I suggest you make a new mobile app feature request:
viewforum.php?f=657

Please explain carefully in a way that the developer team can understand.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Google maps has a nice feature -- if any of your trip passes through a private segment -- you get a warning that you'll be travelling over private roads.
voludu2
Send a message