The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by kyhtak
taco909 wrote:Here's the thread for it:
viewtopic.php?f=819&t=105839 . . .
Thank you, taco909! I saw this last night just before I went to bed, but was too tired to respond.

We have severely limited Internet at our house (10GB/month, through an iPhone connection), which really restricts map editing. I'm "over my budget" for this far into our data cycle this month, so I'll have to look at it more later.

I really appreciate your answer, though, and the link. I'll be back if I have more trouble!

Kathy
kyhtak
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message

Post by numbermaniac
Funny, I always thought the colors represented the speed. Thanks for this adrian.
numbermaniac
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by orbitc
I'm glad for this explanation. Nice work Adrian
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by rusjanis
adriansinger wrote:Have you ever wondered what all the colors of the arrows in the GPS points layer of the WME represent?
Nice, but it would be good to see the GPS line with the changes. :)

[youtube][/youtube]
rusjanis
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message
[img]https:///MV4Na6[/img] https://www.waze.com/assets-editor/imag ... ons/L5.png
CM: Latvia/Lithuania; Android beta tester;

Post by sketch
taco909 wrote:That is still the same information presented by Route Speeds.
What I'm talking about is seeing exactly where in relation to the segment the numbers are coming from.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 165&zoom=6

This particular road pair is particularly troublesome with Waze frequently routing off-and-on right on the edge of BDP/SDP parameters, but when the driver ignores the instructions, Waze doesn't recognize it and may keep the driver "snapped" to the incorrect segment for quite some distance.
Client "snapping" has nothing to do with which GPS tracks are linked to which roads. Put another way, the merger process, which analyzes user drives and adds the speeds to the map data, does not know which road the client was snapped to. It does its own analysis based on your actual reported GPS position and whether or not the route you took was 'possible' – i.e., whether it was able to trace your drive along segments that exist on the Waze map.
As it stands, the GPS points are generally useful only on an immature map where the directionality or relative position of the segment may be in question.
It is also useful where satellite imagery is misaligned.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by taco909
Interesting, but what would be more useful would be color indicating velocity. The direction of the arrows indicate the direction and position, but some kind of speed indication would be helpful in locating segments that are causing routing problems due to corrupted data, or perhaps pollution from a nearby parking lot (or a freeway "sharing" data with a frontage road)
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
hebermc wrote:
taco909 wrote:Interesting, but what would be more useful would be color indicating velocity. The direction of the arrows indicate the direction and position, but some kind of speed indication would be helpful in locating segments that are causing routing problems due to corrupted data, or perhaps pollution from a nearby parking lot (or a freeway "sharing" data with a frontage road)
There are addons that can display the segment speed.
I have that, and it is useful, but having the fine resolution of the GPS points reflecting speeds would be more useful.
As it is with the addon, I can see that maybe a freeway segment runs 45, and the frontage road runs 35.
Are those accurate, or is the frontage road poorly placed and it's actually 65/25? Is there a cluster of invalid points that are showing 15, or someone using Waze while on a bicycle and corrupting the data?
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
That is still the same information presented by Route Speeds.
What I'm talking about is seeing exactly where in relation to the segment the numbers are coming from.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 165&zoom=6

This particular road pair is particularly troublesome with Waze frequently routing off-and-on right on the edge of BDP/SDP parameters, but when the driver ignores the instructions, Waze doesn't recognize it and may keep the driver "snapped" to the incorrect segment for quite some distance.

Or perhaps there is a "cluster" of invalid points along one of the segments that have either a high or low speed that is throwing the average for the segment off.

So speeds are one issue.

Another issue is age.
How old are these points?
If we have a road that is closed due to construction, or WAS closed and has been reopened, it would be nice to have a way to know how old the "arrows" are that we are looking at.

As it stands, the GPS points are generally useful only on an immature map where the directionality or relative position of the segment may be in question.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
It's a big Wiki... It has taken years to assemble, and takes months to read ;)
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
taco909 wrote:It's a big Wiki... It has taken years to assemble, and takes months to read ;)
Yes, though the "Interface and Controls" is the "what's on the screen and how does it work" page so I'd have thought it would have been read rather early in the learning process.
I guess it's a compliment to the DevTeam that the interface and controls are pretty intuitive.
I think the only thing I had a question about my first day was how to terminate a new segment.
My 2nd question was "why is my road red and none of these others are?"
I had a lot of fun out in the desert that evening :D
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich