Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by dmcconachie
Shorty-CM wrote:I know exactly what he's referring to. The new editor is useful for some things, but bugs with other things still make it a requirement.
Bugs so hopefully as? Virtually the only thing I now use cartouche for is update requests!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
I'm pretty sure we were told that wasn't a problem as the routing server would use the 1way road over any turn non-restriction and is the exact reason they don't thus show in papyrus. I've not experienced any time when I've been routed the wrong way up a 1way street!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dmcconachie wrote:I'm pretty sure we were told that wasn't a problem as the routing server would use the 1way road over any turn non-restriction and is the exact reason they don't thus show in papyrus. I've not experienced any time when I've been routed the wrong way up a 1way street!
When parking lot roads are involved, I have been routed the wrong way on 1-way segments often. However, turn restrictions would not have an effect here.
That's a separate issue though and down to the fact that nothing in waze is absolute and penalties for traversing parking lot roads are as high as turn restrictions.
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
Shorty-CM wrote:I think it makes no sense to alter the map to avoid bugs, when the bugs should be reported and sorted out instead. Otherwise the code will remain buggy. The fax that there will always be bugs does not mean we should accept them. Ask any coder, and they'd rather fix the bugs than workaround them.
+1

I'd personally temporarily accept workarounds, if waze would support a user comment for any road object (just as for landmarks) and such work-arounded objects could be grouped into lists for later repair. (Such tools would be useful even with bugs-free system.)
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by gettingthere
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Do we still need to restrict ALL turns first before setting any allowed turns in order to disable all turns? This is how we've been operating for several months now.
Although surely most other editors have not been doing this since it is not obvious and many editors are not following every post in the forums.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
Shorty-CM wrote:And then every single time the light goes red there is going to be a traffic warning triggered.
Waze has no idea whether there is a traffic light, stop sign, or no traffic control at any intersection. It only knows the average segment speed (segment between intersection nodes) and the current speed based on the last Wazer driving the segment. So leaving or removing the intersection is not going to cause a passive/automatic traffic report.

If the last Wazer is driving slower than the average segment speed (we don't know exactly how much slower) it will generate a jam.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Shorty-CM wrote:How is it I'm the only one that knows about a segment's slowest 50m at junctions?
Source?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
CBenson wrote:I agree, waze knows when you stop if you are at the end of segment or not. That matters in determining whether or not to generate an automatic traffic report.
Sorry, but this does not make sense to me. You could be 10 - 20 cars back stopped at an intersection waiting for a light to change. Waze has no reasonable way to account for this.

It's simply road segment speed and current speed involved in the algorithm that generates jams. Intersections have nothing to do with it.

And likely something to filter when you are not moving at all, not likely driving.

Send this thread off to Waze. Let's see if they will comment on this.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by gettingthere on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by gettingthere
jondrush wrote:I've observed just that. I've never triggered a traffic alert sitting within a few cars of a red light, but if I'm 20-40 cars back I have triggered them. Waze is a little bit smarter than the average bear . . . :lol:
I think this is due to segment speed. Longer to transverse the segment than the average at that time of day.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Shorty-CM wrote:Search the forums for 'slowest 50 meters' and you'll find several instances, such as this from The Fej.

http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ers#p12741
observations:

* That quote is from Jan 2010.
* the jam algorithm could have been modified since Jan 2010
* Even if the slowest 50 meters of a segment is still part of the jam algorithm - the Fej says nothing about this 50 meters being in relation to an intersection
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message