Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

[SUPPORT] (WORLD) MapUpdate leaves client's livemap FUBAR

Post by
So - last night we were made happy with a fresh set of livemaps, apparently up to 9th of november. As usual things started by "chopping up" the calculated routes in the client. These chopped up routes are the result of the client and the server using different IDs for the same segments and disappear as soon as the client loads the latest tiles, so I decided to call it a day and see what things look like in the morning.
But this morning routes where still chopped up, always in those areas where most of my editingefforts went to during the last weeks. Looking at those areas (in the client) I could see many may segments missing... and as I drove thru such an area this morning I had to endure a Waze that is unusable, whenever I run into a missing segment I am sent into each and every direction, except for the right one, until I drive into an old, unaffected segment.

Oh - the livemap on the website looks OK, and yes, I cleared the cache in the client (multiple times, even).

Who else is seeing effects like these?

POSTER_ID:43452

Send a message

Post by foxitrot
In the following days, I've seen some of the missing roads to appear back on the map. However none of the broken segments I was aware of got repaired.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by foxitrot
With other words, rebuild everything touched since some sufficiently far date... (for the World, maybe Mapdate October 31 2011: "The map is now updated as to map edits from Oct 11" would be fine? Something equally sufficient ("The map is now updated as to map edits from Oct 19") for NA?)

In concerned areas, where nothing changed, the broken segments' rendering still remains broken, for a couple of map tiles' updates.
Anywhere where something got changed in the vicinity, the formerly broken segments are already fine.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by foxitrot
krankyd wrote:From what I can see, the map has updated since (see attached).
Can you please try and 'refresh map' on your Android? Or try and install the latest beta (if supported on your device) to see if this issue is still happening?

I don't think there's a general problem with all updates of a specific date.
Yes, seems like we've got fresh new maps today (from 29.12.2011), thanks.

Maybe the problem is indeed not general. But single instances still do exist. One example from my side:
Scr000281_.jpg
broken Kafendova
(14.07 KiB) Downloaded 1721 times
Corresponding Papyrus permalink and screenshot: https://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom= ... =141882804
Scr000281__.png
Kafendova in Papyrus
(20.82 KiB) Downloaded 1720 times
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
rlpl wrote:As it has been mentioned before, routing works fine despite the broken tiles and the new tiles are correct if the roads have been edited after the issue. Of course I don't know all details so may be wrong but it really looks like forcing rebuild of the broken tiles should fix the problem.
I suppose three different concurrent sets of "tiles" data are created from editors' output: 1) maps for routing servers, 2) maps for LiveMap (might use the 1) too?) and 3) maps for clients. Just 3) seems to be broken.
rlpl wrote:
krankyd wrote:Or try and install the latest beta (if supported on your device) to see if this issue is still happening?
... could this issue be version dependent? Does 2.9/3.0 series use different map tiles? Will the tiles for 2.0.x be left broken?
I can not imagine Waze would maintain even more different sets of tiles 3a) 3b) 3c)... for various clients... Besides this, we have been testing the reported broken tiles on various clients, which were displaying them similarly.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
rlpl wrote:
foxitrot wrote:
rlpl wrote:... could this issue be version dependent? Does 2.9/3.0 series use different map tiles? Will the tiles for 2.0.x be left broken?
I can not imagine Waze would maintain even more different sets of tiles 3a) 3b) 3c)... for various clients...
Why not? If they already maintain 3 or maybe 7 tile sets why not to have the 8th set? They said that 3.0 client is rewritten from scratch, why shouldn't it use a separate tile set?
You beat me with the facts :) Yes, it is indeed possible.

And I see it as totally inserious, that Waze withdraws such subtle details from the huge editors' community, letting them guess about the ongoing bugs for ages, yet being totally dependent on their precise work!! :evil:
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
foxitrot wrote:Yes, seems like we've got fresh new maps today (from 29.12.2011), thanks.

Maybe the problem is indeed not general. But single instances still do exist. One example from my side: [image1] Corresponding Papyrus permalink and screenshot: https://world.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom= ... =141882804 [image2]
New client maps (from 3.1.2012 - the frequency seems to be getting better), but still no joy with my example :(
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
I still have just my last one broken segment I'm hesitating to edit anywhere around :evil: If I just knew, how far around should I avoid editing, in order not to "fix" the place? What could be the approximate tile size (not the one, which gets downloaded, but the one, which gets generated (although they might be the same))?
Scr000371_.jpg
(16.88 KiB) Downloaded 1454 times
I'd just like to know, whether the Support already considers this problem being fixed? Because the routing servers generate some really funky routes there :lol:
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
Indeed :( I suspect the devs really consider the fix being an already closed issue.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
redmek wrote:I don't get a map at all since upgrading to version 3.0 on ice cream sandwich (Galaxy Nexus)
You have chosen an incorrect thread - please read through "Android 3.0.0.0 - official feedback post" (http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15670) and eventually report it there.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
Reviving this ancient thread... :mrgreen:

I've yet to check my last control segment in WME, whether someone inadvertently changed it, but after a year, its shape finally did change in my client's map! Possibly with the advent of the new infrastructure?

Maybe others could check their "exploded" segments (if they did not yet fix them manually)?
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message