The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Help with odd ramp routing

Post by stephenr1966
When routing from the FWY to off ramp to Westbound MH as in this livemap PL I get a Rt turn / U-turn small detour.

Leaving the destination alone and moving the origin forward slightly to beginning of the ramp as in THIS livemap PL and it routes normally through end of ramp to a left turn.

Makes no sense to me. Can't see it as big detour prevention and clearly the small detour prevention isn't kicking in unless origin is on ramp. Can anyone shed some light on this odd routing anomaly?
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:16973197

Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
Did you recently add the US-60 alt name to these segments that were recently modified?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 8,84551169

My first thought was it's because there was a 2+ segment break in the alt names, but that doesn't look like the case now. But if you just added it hopefully it fixes it after next tile update.
Poncewattle  
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
Looks like you just inserted a junction on this ramp segment since it shows it in WME but route speeds is showing it as one segment (the 15s one). So whatever you did hasn't hit a tile update yet.
us60.jpg
(91.37 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
...then again that means this would have only been a one segment break originally in alt names if it was missing, so now I'm like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poncewattle  
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
Well, looks like it fixed it.

If you added the alt to the two segments at the turn, then the detour was going around the break since the segments before and after it both had US-60. So it figured it as leaving US-60 and coming back and put a penalty on that path.

Here's the original thread about the alt names affecting BDP.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=111256

It produces some weird situations, but whenever something is routing weird, it's what I look for.
Poncewattle  
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Poncewattle
I believe it rolls the penalty for BDP once, then after that it just recalcs the route so the next best route is picked. That addresses the need to stop a route on and off a freeway OK, but in this case there's nothing like that to fall back on so you get that weird u-turn as the next best route. If it recursively applied BDP for each recalc after a BDP was applied, it'd potentially never find a route.

Personally I think there are better ways to handle it, like if there's no option for continuous routing along the same named roadway (primary or alt), just scrap the BDP processing altogether. How many times do you think a freeway goes from one name to another, then back to the original name? Very rarely I'd say ... unless there are a few ramp segments in the middle of the freeway mainline...

Ha, as I was writing the above I thought of one... That monstrosity that is Breezewood, PA. But I just checked it and sure enough, they preserved I-70 naming throughout it all except for one-segment breaks here and there.... nice.....

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=62613924
Poncewattle  
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by stephenr1966
Yes I did add the junction and the names (primary and alt as it was un-named) to the now two segments. I don't see how that would affect BDP, though, as these segment(s) are neither the last seg before the detour nor the first seg after the detour. Also, if it was BDP, why would it change when moving the origin?
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by stephenr1966
Yes it appears to be fixed, but durned if I understand how. I can see how it might have seen the left turn as leaving US-60 and coming back, but so should have been the U-turn. Guess I'll have to study up some more on this BDP thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (<---was too good not to steal)
stephenr1966
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message