The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.
Post by CBenson
That's not how I read the map legends page. I see a difference between a road that runs parrallel to the main road to reach the gas station and the gas station itself. Shouldn't we using a road type that won't be routed over at gas stations on a corner where the gas station could be a short cut to bypass a traffic light or stop sign?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
argus-cronos wrote:what about to set the service road to "no entrance", but in fact i would use the shortcut ;-)
The problems I would anticipate with labeling the road no entrance is that when the road is driven on waze is likely to either automatically change the directionality or to generate the map problem. I also find that waze will route over no entrance roads and haven't really been able to predict when it will and when it won't. The no entrance penalty seems rather weak.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
argus-cronos wrote:It should not route over no entrance roads or change directionality of the segment when it's locked. i have never experienced this.
There have been a number of instances where I have changed a road that is temporarily closed to no entrance. Many here have chastisted me that such an action is insufficient. And sure enough, if I don't actually disconnect the road, I get update requests regarding the road closure and sometimes can get my own phone to route over the no entrance road.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
gettingthere wrote:But in the case of these types of issues (gas stations, convenience stores, etc) there really is no map problem this is affecting the Waze routing.
I'm not convinced that when you drive through a gas station (and presumably stop with waze running) that the track data is not assigned to the nearby road to create traffic alerts and average speeds for routing. My understanding is that if the track is within a parking lot or gas station landmark or closer to a parking lot road, then this shouldn't happen.
gettingthere wrote:Another thing that I want to draw attention to is that sometimes adding Parking Lots roads actually causes routing problems and confusion. As AlanOfTheBerg and bgodette have posted elsewhere there are issues with adding parking lot roads:

* If they are unnamed, navigation will often tell you turn turn on xyz road, but this road is not the next parking lot segment but a named street later in the route. Confusing to the driver since they are not yet turning on the street that is being announced.
True, but this is independent of road type. This is simply a problem of being routed out of an area through unnamed roads. The result of not putting in these roads is getting the routing instruction "proceed to highlighted route" which isn't really more clear.
gettingthere wrote:* Parking lot roads have higher penalties than turn restrictions. So in some cases (usually with navigating over multiple parking lot segments) Waze will break a turn restriction to route off the parking lot segments. This is not correct and can be dangerous if the Wazer is not paying attention to the median in the road or the no left turn sign.
I don't see this being a problem for the typical corner gas station or roadside fast food restaurant.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Last edited by CBenson on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by CBenson
gettingthere wrote:Hopefully Waze (sagi and team) are working on some type of logic in the map problems layer to stop reporting new problems after they have been marked 'not a problem' a couple of times.
The only indication of what the "not a problem" mark does that I have seen is that "it makes it stand out visually when we (staff) are surveying map problems in papyrus." I took this to mean that marking problems "not a problem" a couple of times was just an invitation for the ign team to tackle the area.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
gettingthere wrote:
CBenson wrote:The result of not putting in these roads is getting the routing instruction "proceed to highlighted route" which isn't really more clear.
Personally I would rather see 'proceed to highlighted route' than get incorrect navigation guidance.
I take the instructions for what they are. I don't really see the internal parking lot instruction to be incorrect per se. It would be better if the instructions used "to" instead of "at" when a turn occurs at an unnamed road. But when in a large parking lot, waze will give me instruction such as "turn right at Jennifer Rd" when approaching an internal parking lot road. This tells me two things 1) waze is taking me to the Jennifer Rd exit of the lot and 2) a right turn should get me there. "Proceed to highlighted route" tells me nothing. I prefer the instructions even if imperfect.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Agreed. But much has changed since the discussion in this old thread. You should take a look at the wiki here and here.

Edit: Links updated per GizmoGuy411
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
sagi wrote:Parking Lot roads, Parking Lot landmarks and gas station landmarks, all suppress the creation of map problems. If you think that are more road types or landmark types that should have this effect, please let us know.
Although Parking Lot roads only help if there are exactly where the Wazer is driving. Unfortunately if there are enough gps tracks going a slightly different way than where the parking lot roads are drawn, likely to get another map problem.

After a lot of thought and experimenting with different options, I feel that the best option is to mark the map problem as 'not a problem'. There is no routing issue here. A map update is not required.

Hopefully Waze (sagi and team) are working on some type of logic in the map problems layer to stop reporting new problems after they have been marked 'not a problem' a couple of times.

Basically the issue is that Waze is trying to be productive and calling out potential mapping issues with the map problem layer. Great, in some cases there is map problem that is affecting routing and that needs to be corrected.

But in the case of these types of issues (gas stations, convenience stores, etc) there really is no map problem this is affecting the Waze routing. If you set a route to the gas station, it will get you close enough without a parking lot road, landmark or otherwise.

I just worked a couple hundred map problems in the vicinity of Phoenix, AZ. I don't have the exact numbers but maybe 10% - 20% of the map problems were map issue that were affecting navigation. The other 80% - 90% were map problems that are not affecting navigation in Shopping Centers, Gas Stations, Drive-thru's etc. Those I marked as not a problem.

Another thing that I want to draw attention to is that sometimes adding Parking Lots roads actually causes routing problems and confusion. As AlanOfTheBerg and bgodette have posted elsewhere there are issues with adding parking lot roads:

* If they are unnamed, navigation will often tell you turn turn on xyz road, but this road is not the next parking lot segment but a named street later in the route. Confusing to the driver since they are not yet turning on the street that is being announced.
* Parking lot roads have higher penalties than turn restrictions. So in some cases (usually with navigating over multiple parking lot segments) Waze will break a turn restriction to route off the parking lot segments. This is not correct and can be dangerous if the Wazer is not paying attention to the median in the road or the no left turn sign.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
CBenson wrote:I'm not convinced that when you drive through a gas station (and presumably stop with waze running) that the track data is not assigned to the nearby road to create traffic alerts and average speeds for routing. My understanding is that if the track is within a parking lot or gas station landmark or closer to a parking lot road, then this shouldn't happen.
The issue here is that since the parking lot roads will be close to the streets that Waze my not correctly snap to the parking lot roads when you are filling up at the gas station. Especially when in navigation mode. So roads through gas stations may not help with false traffic jams at all.
CBenson wrote:The result of not putting in these roads is getting the routing instruction "proceed to highlighted route" which isn't really more clear.
Personally I would rather see 'proceed to highlighted route' than get incorrect navigation guidance.
CBenson wrote: I don't see this being a problem for the typical corner gas station or roadside fast food restaurant.
You have a point here. May not be an issue with single segment parking lot segments. I don't know that there are other posts in the forum that prove or disprove this. I had expanded the scope that the OP had by including other type of parking lots.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Seems that if your last segment is a street and you are driving, slower than the road average, and more than 50 meters in a segment, you will create a jam on that segment. I don't believe a jam can be generated on a parking lot segment.

As I read what Sagi posted, we should only be creating parking lot stubs into POI's vs. entire road networks to suppress the map problems and jams. Also, if only one segment of a parking lot stub is created, shouldn't cause an issue with broken turn restrictions routing out of the parking lot.

Needs some testing...
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message