The place to get information and ask questions about everything to do with properly and successfully editing the Waze Map.

Use this forum for all general editing questions, and the sub-forums for specific types of Waze Map Editor features.

Unsplit Road - Confirm my Work

Post by
Just took a quick look ... everything seems to be pretty good on that segment.

You might want to check the geometry on the segment just west of that one, though ... westbound traffic on Scarborough could cause a Map Problem there eventually, if you don't move it more toward the center of the road (down the median, in this case).

Also, you can remove the junction between that segment and the one to its west (where the split was), since it's no longer needed.

Other than that, the turn restrictions look good. Nice work for your first unsplit!

POSTER_ID:2648213

Send a message

Post by bgodette
CBenson wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Unsplitting is a job you pretty much have to do from start to finish in one sitting.
Someone (I apologize for forgetting the author) recently provided a guide to an alternative method to unsplitting where the two segments are connected. There were a bunch of advantages including preserving speed data and keeping the road navigable if you needed to stop in the middle of editing the road. However, I can't for my life find the post. It was a great post with screen shot illustrations. If anyone could point to that post I would greatly appreciated it.
http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ge#p121012
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
LittlestLou wrote:
tgoth wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Anyway, just in looking around the area, and for your final AM test, worth at least 15 points if you fix it up right, "What's wrong with this picture?"
At-grade turn connectors are set as ramps. They should be set as lowest road type they connect, which in this case is primary street. Fixed. If you noticed, that was IGN. They have left some lovely unfinished work in my area.
I have never heard of this at-grade turn connector rule. Also, I tend to delete those right turn connectors altogether as I don't see them as being necessary (in most instances). Am I wrong? :?
I don't think its been wikified yet, but there was a thread on it where the consensus was if they at-grade and need to be there for whatever reason, that they should be Typed as the lower of the segments they connect. This in theory avoids routing weirdness do to segment type.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by CBenson
jasonh300 wrote:Unsplitting is a job you pretty much have to do from start to finish in one sitting.
Someone (I apologize for forgetting the author) recently provided a guide to an alternative method to unsplitting where the two segments are connected. There were a bunch of advantages including preserving speed data and keeping the road navigable if you needed to stop in the middle of editing the road. However, I can't for my life find the post. It was a great post with screen shot illustrations. If anyone could point to that post I would greatly appreciated it.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Thanks again bgodette.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by gettingthere
LittlestLou wrote:Also, I tend to delete those right turn connectors altogether as I don't see them as being necessary (in most instances). Am I wrong? :?
In most cases, they are not necessary for proper routing. Although if the turning lane is restricted, further from the intersection, sometimes they can make routing more clear.

Best not to use ramp type unless they really are a ramp - such as a highway entrance or exit (from one grade to another).

In intersections that are wide, sometimes the Papyrus map problem algorithm flags these as a problem. 'Drive too far from where there are any mapped roads'. Depending who the editor is that is working the map problem, sometimes the turning lane gets added.

I only add them when I think that they are necessary to have clear routing. Regardless of what the Papyrus automated problem algorithm thinks.

This has been brought up several times with Waze. They are aware of it. This is also why the problems can be marked as 'not a problem'. Although it's annoying that the 'problem' often comes back again in the future and has to be dealt with yet again...
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by jasonh300
tgoth wrote:Thanks, done.
Looks really good. That was probably a good one to start with since it's not too long. Unsplitting is a job you pretty much have to do from start to finish in one sitting.

Anyway, just in looking around the area, and for your final AM test, worth at least 15 points if you fix it up right, "What's wrong with this picture?"
https://www.waze.com/cartouche/#?zoom=5 ... FTTTFTTTTT

8-)
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
tgoth wrote:At-grade turn connectors are set as ramps. They should be set as lowest road type they connect, which in this case is primary street. Fixed. If you noticed, that was IGN. They have left some lovely unfinished work in my area.
Very good, except you only get partial credit. :twisted: Since you have the turn connector roads, you should have the right turn at the actual intersection disallowed.

I assume that the IGN put those in there because there was a 'map problem' at the intersection. It's a very wide street, but following practice, it has no median and is therefore not split.

There probably should be four of them...I don't know why there would only be three. If any of the others generated a map problem, that fourth corner will probably do so at some point also.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CBenson wrote:Someone (I apologize for forgetting the author) recently provided a guide to an alternative method to unsplitting where the two segments are connected. There were a bunch of advantages including preserving speed data and keeping the road navigable if you needed to stop in the middle of editing the road. However, I can't for my life find the post. It was a great post with screen shot illustrations. If anyone could point to that post I would greatly appreciated it.
I thought the instructions with the pictures and diagrams were added to the Wiki, but I can't find that either.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
jondrush wrote:Nice job weeZer14. There are a few at grade intersections that in my opinion still demand a ramp type connector though. If you look at the intersection I mentioned in this post http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14501 It is an at-grade intersection, but it is also a transition to a freeway. Do you all think we could you incorporate these few exceptions in the write-up?
I've seen that one before and never realized that it was an at-grade connection until I just turned off the roads layer and looked at the aerial.

I personally would have used ramps there because it's a transition to a freeway.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Nice job weeZer14. There are a few at grade intersections that in my opinion still demand a ramp type connector though. If you look at the intersection I mentioned in this post http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14501 It is an at-grade intersection, but it is also a transition to a freeway. Do you all think we could you incorporate these few exceptions in the write-up?
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message